Hydro shifter/ caliper fitting guides

dinyull
dinyull Posts: 2,979
I'm looking to install new Shimano RS505 hydraulic shifters and calipers. Never had to do this before so looking for video or step by step guide .

Can anyone point me in the right direction please?

Comments

• wongataa
    wongataa Posts: 1,001
    Have you considered downloading the manual from Shimano and following the installation instructions contained within it?
  • dinyull
    Yes, currently flicking through that.

Looks like I have the easy install system, and a quick youtube search shows it's a piece of pi$$.

Been dreading having to do it, but a couple of video's in and it looks like I've been worrying about nothing.

Ta
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    If you have the easy install system with the flange nuts already fitted to the levers then the olives will be in the levers behind the flange nuts. You simply pull the end cover off the hoses and insert the brass widget one you've cut the hose to length then push into the lever and tighten up the flange nut.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • edward.s
    edward.s Posts: 220
    Be careful not to overtighten the flange nut - on the rs 505 shifters it doesn't have a flange or any reinforcement around the threaded section and its easy to overtighten and split the lever casting. If you have the easy fit system with the joiners in the hose rather than at the lever then this doesn't apply as the lever ends are done already.

Make sure the gear cable is well lubricated and smoothly threaded as there have been reports of the lever under the cable guide collapsing.

• dinyull
    edward.s said:

Make sure the gear cable is well lubricated and smoothly threaded as there have been reports of the lever under the cable guide collapsing.

The new shifters are a warranty replacement for this very problem haha!
  • I don't think this is a job to be done by asking questions on this forum. you really have to know what you are doing to proceed! get to a pro.