Drugs in other sports and the media.

Comments

• larkim
    larkim Posts: 2,474
    Good luck to the BBC getting an answer from Bury FC ("my" club, until it was folded this year)!
    2015 Canyon Nerve AL 6.0 (son #1's)
    2011 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (son #4s)
    2013 Decathlon Triban 3 (red) (mine)
    2019 Hoy Bonaly 26" Disc (son #2s)
    2018 Voodoo Bizango (mine)
    2018 Voodoo Maji (wife's)
  • shinyhelmut
    shinyhelmut Posts: 1,364
    The Times even manage to shoehorn in the compulsory cycling/Team Sky link;

Johnson currently works at a surgery in Stockport with Dr Maher Al-Ausi, who once served as a sports doctor for Team Sky.

http:/https://thetimes.co.uk/edition/sport/former-manchester-city-doctor-charged-with-anti-doping-violation-78xms79zm
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    larkim said:

I suppose they will test regularly for intoxication issues etc.

in the British Touring car championship yes they do, all drivers have to pass a breathalyser test on the morning of racing...which tells you all you need to know about what was happening before they started doing that ;)

but regular drug testing either for recreational or ped's on the whole motorsport ignores the whole subject, occasionally tests a few competitors, finds someone had cocaine or cannabis, who usually loses their drive/ride and is never heard of again and the governing body announces their testing regime therefore works.

every so often someone in the sport complains about the lack of testing,as they clearly suspect others are taking drugs, but it never goes anywhere the governing body always refers back to its successful history of not finding anyone cheating in that way.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,217
    Classic Roan, he was at Bury when the incident occurred but appears to have worked with Man City youth. Headline gives the impression it was City related.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,200
    Pross said:

Classic Roan, he was at Bury when the incident occurred but appears to have worked with Man City youth. Headline gives the impression it was City related.

Well he seems to have been working for both clubs at the same time, not one after the other.

But this could well be a genuine cock-up. He says he didn't make the diagnosis or prescription, but didn't sign off the TUE in time so falsely back-dated it.
    https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/50871381

Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,612
    Careful there now Roaneo, picking away at scabs in kickmoneyball sets you against the big boys, not just some puny bicyclists.
  • Womens weightlifting in the groanian. Doping at 13yrs old, etc.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    Valverde accused of cynical cheating: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/51090816
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Wheelspinner
    Wheelspinner Posts: 6,551
    Wilson Kiprotich - Kenyan marathoner - provisionally suspended for whereabouts issue?
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • larkim
    Kipsang, not Kiprotich. Former WR holder and the only guy to have beaten Kipchoge over the marathon. Former great trying to restore glory days, or a cockup of filing / administration, or finally a chink in the armour of a serial doper?
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,312
    Would be great if we actually ever found out.
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • larkim
    We will do when (if) he is sanctioned.
  • gweeds
    gweeds Posts: 2,550
    https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2020/jan/17/uk-anti-doping-agency-mo-farah-samples

The UK Anti-Doping Agency has said it will not hand over Sir Mo Farah’s blood and urine samples to any investigation into the Nike Oregon Project unless it is given credible evidence to suggest they might contain a banned substance.

The World Anti-Doping Agency is expected to re-test some samples of athletes from the training group, where Farah ran between 2010 to 2017, as part of a new investigation into the Oregon Project that was announced in the wake of Alberto Salazar’s four-year ban for doping offences. The US Anti-Doping Agency, which led the initial investigation into Salazar, had also previously expressed an interest in getting hold of Farah’s samples held in the UK – a move resisted by Ukad.
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • timothyw
    timothyw Posts: 2,482
    Seems legit.
  • RichN95.
    It looks like a fairly straightforward legal matter to me. An athlete consents to their samples being tested by the authority that takes it, not anyone requests it.
  • Pross
    I can see WADA having a possible claim to review but I'm struggling to see what it has to do with USADA.
  • Wheelspinner
    Wheelspinner Posts: 6,551
    Tennis players busted, including No. 1 ranked doubles player.

https://www.rte.ie/sport/tennis/2020/0114/1107473-tennis-stars-fail-drug-tests/

Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    Iannones second sample also tested positive, a hearing has been set for Feb https://www.autosport.com/motogp/news/147954/iannone-doping-hearing-date-set-will-miss-test
  • Pross
    RichN95. said:

It looks like a fairly straightforward legal matter to me. An athlete consents to their samples being tested by the authority that takes it, not anyone requests it.

He says he's happy for any ADA to test any of his blood or urine samples. Apparently UKAD didn't ask his opinion. I suspect those who are determined to cast doubt on him will go with the 'of course he's saying that now UKAD won't had it over' approach and probably insinuate some form of conspiracy.
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,439
    Pross said:

RichN95. said:

He says he's happy for any ADA to test any of his blood or urine samples. Apparently UKAD didn't ask his opinion. I suspect those who are determined to cast doubt on him will go with the 'of course he's saying that now UKAD won't had it over' approach and probably insinuate some form of conspiracy.
    I'm sure it can be easily solved by him telling UKAD to hand it over. Hopefully he will and that'll be the end of it.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • larkim
    He can't tell them to hand them over - they aren't his property. UKAD have a longer term interest in maintaining samples with integrity, they won't just let an athlete dictate what happens to the samples. I think saying "I've no problem with them being tested lots of times" is about the best an athlete can do publicly, and then privately talk to UKAD / WADA and understand if there are any other blockers that they can move out of the way, or at least encourage them to be as open as possible with use of the limited sample volumes they have. Once it's tested it's gone though!
  • gweeds
    gweeds Posts: 2,550
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    There seems to be a lot of people who claim to be innocent of doping who at some point had a partner who doped.
  • RichN95.
    edited January 2020
    gweeds said:

I always enjoy the Richard Gasquet excuse. I was once at a party at a hockey & tennis club in Paris in 2008 after a big tournament. A couple of my friends had been hanging out in a back room with a tennis pro called Richard. That's all I can say.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    webboo said:

There seems to be a lot of people who claim to be innocent of doping who at some point had a partner who doped.

If you actually read into that one it sounds reasonably plausible. The quantity detected in her urine was extremely tiny (like, not enough to be a worthwhile doping exercise), whereas in the boyfriend's hair sample it was not. Ligandrol half-life is only 30 hours so it's not like it hangs around, so the sample she produced is only really consistent with a miniscule dose quite close to the test.

Apparently anti-doping agencies have been taking a hardline approach to ligandrol, presumably because the short half life makes it popular with dopers trying to avoid tests and it's easily available (https://www.smh.com.au/sport/anti-doping-bodies-have-been-throwing-the-book-at-ligandrol-positives-20190803-p52djh.html). So if she got let off, it suggests her defence was quite convincing because it's not normal to be let off for it.

The Gasquet one, less so, but coke isn't really a doping product either (in this case - apparently some cyclists have used it to counteract sleeping pill dependence).
  • Pross
    Shouldn't it still come under the strict liability rule though the same as contaminated supplements etc. i.e. if it gets into your body it's your fault?
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,511
    Pross said:

Shouldn't it still come under the strict liability rule though the same as contaminated supplements etc. i.e. if it gets into your body it's your fault?

3. Is there any flexibility to take into consideration the circumstances or intention of the athlete?
    Up

Yes, there is flexibility when a sanction is being considered.

The rule is the starting point so that, while an anti-doping rule violation occurs regardless of the athlete’s intention, there is flexibility in the sanctioning process to consider the circumstances.

• larkim
    I was under the impression that drugs which ended up in the bloodstream (if not injected) only had two routes of administration? Which route did she have compelling evidence of for the contamination?
  • webboo
    I.V. , Oral, Anal and Topical.
  • webboo
    The censored one was through your rear end.