Winter Gloves - recommendations

On the last few rides I've done it's become apparent that my old stalwart Thinsulate gloves are now past it.

Have done a bit of research of reviews and am more confused by all the options out there.

Basically looking for gloves that will keep my hands toasty when the mercury gets down to the 0 - 5degC area. Not too bothered about being fully waterproof as I don't normally choose to ride in the wet - maybe enough waterproofing to cope with an unexpected shower.

Not looking to spend "Rapha" money but anything up to about £50 or thereabouts

These seem to be well reviewed:-

https://www.certini.co.uk/58045/products/specialized-element-20-mens-winter-gloves--black.aspx

but any other suggestions are welcome

Comments

• asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    If it's very cold, I prefer sticking a pair of liner gloves inside my existing gloves. It means that if it's not as cold as you think and you start to get sweaty hands you can just stuff them in your jersey pocket.

Amazon will do you a silk pair for around £10.

Mine are from a set of Assos gloves I bought many years ago that have an inner, outer and a lobster mitt. I've never found it cold enough to wear the inner and outer together and the lobster mitts have never been worn. I wear the inners with a pair of unpadded Grip Grab long finger gloves that are supposed to be for Autumn / Spring and I've never wanted for anything warmer.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • drhaggis
    drhaggis Posts: 1,150
    Regarding silly money, suffering from Raynaud, I used part of a C2W voucher last September to get the Castelli Estremos (RRP a silly £100). Are they nice? Yep. Better than what I had before? Yep. Worth the price? No friggin chance. Possibly not even at 50% off.

Asprilla is right. If your current gloves are windproof, get a pair of liners if you can fit them underneath.
  • edward.s
    edward.s Posts: 221
    Sealskinz all weather gloves run about £35 and are excellent, been out for 30 miles in 2°c this morning and no cold hands. I have some liners but I've not yet used them in 2 years.

I'm sure you know all this, but keeping your core warm will help keep your hands warm so dress up well.
  • singleton
    singleton Posts: 2,498
    I've got a pair of Sealskinz Brecon gloves that are for the coldest rides and they're great. I think you should be able to get them for about £35-£40.
  • paulbnix
    paulbnix Posts: 631
    I've been very pleased with the Shimano Gore Windstopper gloves https://www.decathlon.co.uk/windstopper-insulated-gloves-id_8523696.html for £35.
  • Ski gloves from Decathlon are the best I've found. Better than any cycling gloves and cheaper.
    Also, usual reminder that if your core is cold, your hands will be cold. No matter what gloves you are wearing. Best recommendation for cold hands is another base layer and a hat.
  • monkimark
    monkimark Posts: 1,534
    I have a pair of the Carnac 'ultimate windblock' gloves from planet X that i use for sub zero commutes and I've never found the weather too cold for them (only in Surrey but I leave the house around 6am and commute year round), they are a bit bulky but I think any insulated glove would be. Most of the time the plain 'ultimate' version are fine - i think i've only used the warm ones once or twice this year when the car was properly iced up as I left.
    They're also nice and cheap - you could get the ultimate, ultimate windblock and the lobster claws for your budget.
    https://www.planetx.co.uk/c/q/clothing/clothes/gloves
  • skeetam
    skeetam Posts: 178
    Get yourself to Lidl and get their winter cycling gloves. I've spent a fortune on various winter gloves but these are the best I've had. At only £6.99 they're worth a punt and you won't be disappointed.
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,616
    https://galibier.cc/product/barrier-black/

Galibier Barrier winter gloves are great and pretty competitive on price.
  • Longshot
    Longshot Posts: 940
    I got some FDX ones from Amazon. Very cheap but they work just fine.
    You can fool some of the people all of the time. Concentrate on those people.
  • mrdsgs
    mrdsgs Posts: 337
    dexshell ultra weather £18.50 on Amazon, not cycling specific but you would never know. Add a thin liner glove below zero. better than gloves 3 times the price. They also make more expensive ultra therm mtb gloves with a heatpad, still under £50
    Colnago Addict!
  • amrushton
    amrushton Posts: 1,253
    the Gore tex winter ones are supposedly v.good as are the Estremo (Castelli). But layering is the way really. A thin glove then a thicker one then a claw type overglove. Assos do a thin overglove that really works (acts as a barrier to keep the chill off). The Planet X claw gets good reviews but how hot do you get and what temps do you ride in
  • grenw
    grenw Posts: 803
    I sold my Estremos a couple of years back. Too hot at anything above zero so hardly ever wore them. The Castelli Scaldas are the next ones down and for me are good from around +7 to -3 or so degrees
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    liners plus sportful midrange gloves do the trick.