SURVEY - Tell us about your road shoes

My name is Stephen Quay and I am the Product Manager for shoes at Specialized.
I'm looking for some feedback about why you ride road bikes, and what shoes you've selected and why.

If you'd like to participate, here is a link to a simple 5-question survey: http://www.survey-maker.com/QRWMBCN

Thanks in advance for your time and feedback.

Comments

• froze
    froze Posts: 203
    I have a pair of Bontrager SSR Multisport, and a pair of Sidi Mega Trace; but they're both wide MTB type of shoes that I use on my road bikes because sometimes I ride into an area and want to be able to walk around, I also do some touring so again the ability to walk is critical. The place I buy from shoes from carry Specialized but what they had wasn't wide enough for my feet. I do buy Specialized Roubaix tires, and they are now my favorite tires and that's all I will buy for my road bikes, my touring bike needs something a lot more robust of course; I also have a Specialized Chamonix MIPS helmet; I also use Specialized footbeds; so I do buy stuff from Specialized! LOL!
  • wolfsbane2k
    wolfsbane2k Posts: 3,056
    Damn, Road only, otherwise i'd have had an opportunity to moan about the removal of the Tahoe's. ;)
    Intent on Cycling Commuting on a budget, but keep on breaking/crashing/finding nice stuff to buy.
    Bike 1 (Broken) - Bike 2(Borked) - Bike 3(broken spokes) - Bike 4( Needs Work) - Bike 5 (in bits) - Bike 6* ...
  • @wolfsbane2k Ha! Just road on this one. I hear ya on the Tahoes though. Have you checked out the Rime 1.0 yet? That's kind of our updated version of the Tahoe under a new name,
  • To whomever wrote the Sidi comment in the survey: thank you. I must have been feeling the post-lunch-race dizzies when I made that portion of the survey.
  • slowmart
    slowmart Posts: 4,474
    @OP I’m unsure why there was only one response per question required, my buying decisions are based on a number of considerations, that said my S-Works shoes are simply superb so keep on doing what you do!
    “Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu
  • Unfortunately I was unable to do the survey since I don't wish to give only one answer as to why I ride a road bike.

In fact it is all of the reasons except competition but it could have been none of the above, e.g. someone I fancy rides a road bike.

Although maybe I should do the survey as many times as there are different permutations of my answers?

• wolfsbane2k
    wolfsbane2k Posts: 3,056

@wolfsbane2k Ha! Just road on this one. I hear ya on the Tahoes though. Have you checked out the Rime 1.0 yet? That's kind of our updated version of the Tahoe under a new name,

Thanks for the pointer - i wasn't aware of the Rimes , and stores are pointing me at 5-ten's and 2fo's instead, but their sizing didn't suit me. Loved the tahoes, got though a number of pairs as perfect commuter shoes, was furious when I walked back into the store to be told they weren't available anymore.

After a quick google, The Rime 1.0 look good (i might even go to the 2.0's) - but I can't find either available anywhere in the UK - would be interested in understanding how the toe box compares to the old Tahoe's as an island sized shoe wearer.
    Intent on Cycling Commuting on a budget, but keep on breaking/crashing/finding nice stuff to buy.
    Bike 1 (Broken) - Bike 2(Borked) - Bike 3(broken spokes) - Bike 4( Needs Work) - Bike 5 (in bits) - Bike 6* ...
  • alanyu
    alanyu Posts: 73
    edited December 2019
    I have a pair of Orient shape feet, which is, a bit hard to find a pair of suitable cycling shoes. I've tried a lot of shoes during fitting: Shimano, Specialized, Bontrager, NW, Mavic, Lake... Unfortunately, only Bont can fit with my foot shape. Normal and Wide size needs a lot of thermol molding work: the toebox of the former is still not wide enough while the volume (body and heel) of the later is too large. It's good that they provide Asian fit size, almost there, only a little molding needed.
    +++: They are extremely stiff; they fit my feet well after molding;
    ---: I don't like the color; and the handcraft is really bad; the insole is low quality;
    However, I just have no choice...
  • @wolfsbane2k Ha! Just road on this one. I hear ya on the Tahoes though. Have you checked out the Rime 1.0 yet? That's kind of our updated version of the Tahoe under a new name,

Thanks for the pointer - i wasn't aware of the Rimes , and stores are pointing me at 5-ten's and 2fo's instead, but their sizing didn't suit me. Loved the tahoes, got though a number of pairs as perfect commuter shoes, was furious when I walked back into the store to be told they weren't available anymore.

After a quick google, The Rime 1.0 look good (i might even go to the 2.0's) - but I can't find either available anywhere in the UK - would be interested in understanding how the toe box compares to the old Tahoe's as an island sized shoe wearer.
    Glad to hear you're liking the look. The new Rime is similar in fit to the 2FO in the toebox area. They are both built around our relaxed fit last, which is similar to the Tahoe last, but not identical. Sadly, I see why you're not able to get the Rime...the UK market hasn't brought in this product! Some nearby markets are carrying it (France). Sorry for the bad news!