Which tyre combo should I run?

For the love of god someone please help me. I’m so confused. I have a Whyte T 130 with a higher roller II upfront and a recon at the back and while I’m getting on with the high roller I am finding that my rear is slipping all over the place. I can’t decide whether I should replace it with another high roller II, a DHR II or a DHF II. I am currently riding mostly on Dartmoor over the winter so it’s a mix of terrain with lots of slippy rocks and tons of mud. Im open to any suggestions and any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,443
    edited December 2019
    The Minions are a respected tyre, but I've never ridden with them, so I can't give a personal recco. The High Roller has a slightly wider rating on conditions, according to Maxxis and that was a the decider for me when I had a buying decision a few months ago. I bought two 29x2.5" 3C for my emtb, to replace the 2.6" Rekons. But of more relevance for you is that I used to have a Whyte T130 and only sold it after I bought the emtb..........

When I had a T130, the front tyre was a Maxxis High Roller II TR, 27.5" X 2.30" 3C Maxx Terra EXO with Sidewall protection.

The original rear tyre was a Maxxis Crossmark II TR 27.5" X 2.25" EXO with Sidewall protection. The HR was always great for the front and the Crossmark was good when the conditions were dry. But as soon as it got damp, the tyre started to break away on corners or wouldn't drive me out of bombholes.

I fitted instead a tyre that I knew well, Continental Trail King 27.5x2.2 Protection BCC. The BCC stands for black chilli compound and it is essential in my opinion. If it doesn't say BCC in the sales description, then it isn't. The combination worked extremely well for me and I had no further problems with slippage. :D

Another tyre that I would recommend for the rear is another High Roller, but a single compound one instead of the 3C you probably have on the front right now. The 3C up front/1C on the back is a great combination; it pretty much guarantees that in a loose corner the rear will slide out first, which is highly desired versus the alternative. This was what I had on my YT Capra (27.5" x 2.4") which had come with 1C front and rear. The front was too prone to sliding out until I fitted a 3C, then it was like cornering on rails. <3

• robertpb
    robertpb Posts: 1,866
    I would put the High Roller on the back and put a Schwalbe Magic Mary on the front, more grip at both ends then.
    Now where's that "Get Out of Crash Free Card"
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    If you are getting on with the HR2 on the front then stick one on the back as well. I know a couple of people who ride with HR2 front and rear all year and are perfectly happy with them.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • Thanks. Do they run with 2 3C HR2s or a different combination?
  • steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,443
    edited December 2019
    That's the one! (the Halfords' TrailKing)
    But look at the description, 8 out of 10 points are for a bike helmet! :(
    But one of the other two confirms that it's BCC. <3

I wish I could have found this tyre when I was looking to replace my 27.5x2.6 Maxxis Rekons.

PS: These are BIG tyres, so make sure that they will fit into your frame. I don't just mean width wise, but because the tyre inflates to a larger diameter than you would expect, be sure that the tread clears any seat or chainstay brace.
  • david7m
    david7m Posts: 636
    edited December 2019
    I've a T130S and it came with Schwalbe Knobbly Nic - absolute pants!
    Then went Maxxis Minion DHF 3C /DHR II which are awesome for Bike Park Wales, but the rear is too draggy if you need to pedal uphill/ through mud.
    Now have what Sordy said on the rear and it's perfect!
    Also tubeless.
  • Thanks. I think I’m going to go for the continental. Just need to find the best price now.
  • david7m
    Think I paid about £40 for 27.5 x 2.2. As Sordy said, make sure they black chilli compound.
  • My recon is a 27.5 x 2.6. I can get the Continental TK BCC for about £50 so I think I’ll go for it.
  • david7m
    Are you tubeless? Worth a play with pressures if you haven't before. My tyres are narrower than yours, but I'm 84kg and have settled on 28psi rear/25psi front.
  • I’m not tubeless but my plan is to sort that this weekend when I change the tyres. Now I just need to find a good YouTube video to help me!
  • I’ve found it at this link below (the Continental): https://m.bikester.co.uk/continental-trail-king-26-bike-tyre-275-tl-ready-e-25-apex-black-735589.html

I just wanted to double check that it is the correct one. Thanks!
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    david7m said:

Probably because they were the cheaper 'Performance' tyres. They really are rubbish. OK in the dry but as soon as it gets slightly damp they lose all grip.

The 'Evolution' series Nobby Nic on the other hand are excellent. I have run them for the last 3 years on my full sus without any problems. Trailstar front and Pacestar rear. However, Schwalbe have changed the compounds now to Addix Speedgrip and I can't comment on them.

“Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • david7m
    JBA said:

david7m said:

Probably because they were the cheaper 'Performance' tyres. They really are rubbish. OK in the dry but as soon as it gets slightly damp they lose all grip.

The 'Evolution' series Nobby Nic on the other hand are excellent. I have run them for the last 3 years on my full sus without any problems. Trailstar front and Pacestar rear. However, Schwalbe have changed the compounds now to Addix Speedgrip and I can't comment on them.

One split and I gave the other away, but 'evolution' sounds familiar. Can't be sure though :smile: