Cycling after total knee replacement

Hi has anyone out there got experience of this?

Comments

• liggo
    liggo Posts: 2
    Hi
    My cycling mate had both knees replaced, he was home after two days started on the trainer 4 weeks later and was back riding with me in 2 months.
    He was 66yrs old when he had it done.
  • liggo said:

Hi
    My cycling mate had both knees replaced, he was home after two days started on the trainer 4 weeks later and was back riding with me in 2 months.
    He was 66yrs old when he had it done.

Same with me. Secret is to do the exercises as soon as you've had the op. Yes, they are hard (but not painful) at first, but determination will see you crack the procedures inside your first day home - if you want to. If you don't want to then sell your bikes!!!

It's all mind over matter. My neighbour had the same op same time as me. She always was and still is a couch potato and complains that she can't move her knee. She can reach for a corkscrew though!
  • de_sisti
    de_sisti Posts: 1,283
    Had a half knee replacement in July. As stated upthread, do the exercises as prescribed
    by physios. I found them painful, but they became easier with time. I was told to strengthen
    quad and hamstring muscles. I'm back riding again, but (check my avatar) other hobbies
    are more important than cycling at the moment.
  • anjasola
    anjasola Posts: 145
    My wife had a knee replacement 6 years ago , she did loads of physio as soon as possible and kept at it.
    Seem to have done the trick her average totals per year average 12000k / 100000m
  • I had a TKR in January of this year. I thought my world had ended as it was so painful at first but I continued with the physio I was given to do and more. Within twelve weeks I tentatively started on the turbo but as the knee had been replaced due to osteoarthritis following an injury the injury site (I. T. Band) was still giving me trouble and it still is almost eleven months later.
    So far I’ve managed to get in over 2k miles in this year as well as many many hours on the Turbo.
    Just stick at it as it will eventually get easier.
    Note! My physio actually encouraged me to cycle as often as I can.👍