Moda Arco vs PlanetX Pro?

Hi folks,
I'm looking to buy a first proper track bike for my 12yo son, who's big into racing and is going to have his second year in the C category in the coming year.
He's racing predominantly in Lee Valley, with an occasional trip to Herne Hill, Newport or other velodromes.
Now that many vendors are offering discounts, I can afford to buy him Moda Arco or PlanetX Pro bike within my budget.

What are your views/recommendations on this trade off?

Moda has aluminium semi-aero frame with probably better wheels, and I generally trust this brand. PlanetX is full carbon, and I see a lot of kids actually riding these bikes at the velodrome.

Any advice would be appreciated!!

Comments

• timothyw
    timothyw Posts: 2,482
    A lot of the Moda kit is identical to the Planet X stuff (eg the Moda Sharp TT frameset is obviously a stealth pro) so I'd probably take it on the face value that the current Planet X offer is a better deal, as I would imagine their gear mostly comes from the same factories.

Dolan are probably the other place you should look for a cheap track bike. And Ribble do the eliminator, although they seem to think themselves premium nowadays.
  • timothyw said:

A lot of the Moda kit is identical to the Planet X stuff (eg the Moda Sharp TT frameset is obviously a stealth pro) so I'd probably take it on the face value that the current Planet X offer is a better deal, as I would imagine their gear mostly comes from the same factories.

Dolan are probably the other place you should look for a cheap track bike. And Ribble do the eliminator, although they seem to think themselves premium nowadays.

Moda bikes are very heavily discounted now, can get it for almost half the price of PlanetX.
    The bikes arent looking the same though - PlanetX is a carbon frame, Moda Arco is aluminium and they don't really look the same.
  • oxoman said:

Moda are under rated because there not trendy, I'd sooner have the Moda Aluminium bike than a lower end PX carbon offering.

I heard the rumour that the owners are shutting down the Moda brand to focus on Forme and others... Don't know if it's true or not, but the liquidation sale happening now is one indicator
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    edited December 2019
    Moda hasn't been active for years - all they are doing is selling off remaining stock, I suspect. It's a decent enough frame and I see a few being ridden and they look quite funky.

If your lad likes the frame, then that's half the battle. Although in reality, at under 12/C level it doesn't really matter what you ride as long as you're learning and enjoying it.

The other thing to say is that if your lad is already 12, then he won't be in youth C in 2020, he'll be in youth B/U14.
  • Moda hasn't been active for years - all they are doing is selling off remaining stock, I suspect. It's a decent enough frame and I see a few being ridden and they look quite funky.

If your lad likes the frame, then that's half the battle. Although in reality, at under 12/C level it doesn't really matter what you ride as long as you're learning and enjoying it.

The other thing to say is that if your lad is already 12, then he won't be in youth C in 2020, he'll be in youth B/U14.

I'm finding old listings from 3-5 years ago, when this bike used to go for £1200 (albeit with slightly better wheels). At under £400 this looks like an obvious steal...unless there's a catch :smile:

My boy is turning 12 in Jan, so he's still C for the 2020 road season
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    edited December 2019

I'm finding old listings from 3-5 years ago, when this bike used to go for £1200 (albeit with slightly better wheels). At under £400 this looks like an obvious steal...unless there's a catch :smile:

My boy is turning 12 in Jan, so he's still C for the 2020 road season

I think it's just end of line, so the only catch may be that if there's a warranty issue there may not be a direct replacement available, possibly. Can't think of anything else.

Yes, obviously if he's not 12 until Jan, then he's still U12 in 2020.