Thread to tell everyone what bargains you've spotted!

Comments

• secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,098
    Any good Smart Turbo deals going?

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,538

This thread should be regularly getting updates, very telling of how bad this new forum format is doing IMO, because there are deals out there!

I agree, seems to be far less intuitive now, think my time on here is maybe 30% of what it was.

Anyway. Mavic cosmic pro carbon exaliths, £749 from the excellent Sigma, cheapest I had ever seen them was £770.

https://www.sigmasports.com/item/Mavic/Cosmic-Pro-Carbon-Exalith-Clincher-Wheelset-2019/EBLB

Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,098
    secretsam said:

Done it, Yahoo Kickr Snap from Wiggle, £380.

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • secretsam said:

There's plenty SS, but depends on what budget you have in mind. ;)

For something to dip your toes into two-way interactive turbo training, £165 for the Tacx 2240 is the best price I recall it being in recent years. https://www.halfords.com/cycling/turbo-trainers/trainers/tacx-flow-t2240-interactive-turbo-trainer

It's 2+ years old, but the spec of the Drivo is great for £499, 24% slope emulation urinates all over the Direto that I have (14%) and many other turbos plus the power meter is pretty accurate. I'm not aware of issues, but then I might simply have missed them because of not owning one! https://www.halfords.com/cycling/turbo-trainers/trainers/elite-drivo-direct-drive-smart-turbo-trainer

https://www.halfords.com/cycling/turbo-trainers/trainers/elite-direto-ots-2-percent-turbo-trainer is the updated version of mine from last year, £550 which is cheaper than I paid for my v1 Direto. But then the power meter is only certified to 2% accuracy on these V2s, which is still pretty good.

I'm getting the vibe so far that the new Elite Tuo/Sumo/Suito models are having customer issues.

https://www.tredz.co.uk/.4iiii-Fliiiight-Smart-Trainer-Bundle_222931.htm for £399 looks intresting, near silent turbo sessions besides your drivetrain and gurning efforts!

Hindsight is a wonderful thing, for me spending ~£640 on a brand new Direto almost two years ago was a massive risk, because my 2006 Eilte Mag Volaire barely got used. But being able to have slopes simulated in RGT/Virtugo/Zwift has made things so much more interactive and addictive, as has using ERG mode which I've used more this year (where turbo app tells turbo to match a give power for a given time interval while you stay in same gear and concentrate of driving those pedals), not to mention the TTs and races I've done more of on Zwift since August.

I'm mostly happy with my Direto, but my general vibe is that purchasers of the Tacx Neo (v1 or v2) have been very happy, but then they often cost ~£850+.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • tincaman
    tincaman Posts: 508
    Wow, great price on that Drivo, I have had one for a year, love it
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    tincaman said:

really? i have one it is really slow to respond and not good in erg mode for workouts with it randomly dropping resistance all the time
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • Just seen this email from PX in my inbox...

VIPBIKE makes https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/EBPXRRULTR8000/planet-x-ec-130e-shimano-ultegra-gs-aero-road-bike £1199.99 plus postage on limited stock until midnight Weds.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • timothyw
    timothyw Posts: 2,482
    Hey, I thought I was a VIP! I don't want all these non-IPs buying my impulse purchase £1200 bike...

Anyway, here's an actual bargain, 105 shifters and flat mount disc brake calipers for around £170 - https://www.bike24.com/p2271271.html?q=r7020
  • jp1970
    jp1970 Posts: 134
    Hope 20Five wheelset £300 for the pair with purple hubs.. Saving £100.

https://www.tredz.co.uk/.Hope-20FIVE-Pro-4-Cyclocross-Wheel_103317.htm
  • ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • super_davo
    super_davo Posts: 1,116
    timothyw said:

Hey, I thought I was a VIP! I don't want all these non-IPs buying my impulse purchase £1200 bike...

Anyway, here's an actual bargain, 105 shifters and flat mount disc brake calipers for around £170 - https://www.bike24.com/p2271271.html?q=r7020

That sounded a proper bargain... But clicked on the link and its only the right shifter and brake. So Merlin's £240 for the pair or £300 for the Ultegra versions is much much better
  • rabk
    rabk Posts: 182

tincaman said:

really? i have one it is really slow to respond and not good in erg mode for workouts with it randomly dropping resistance all the time
    I have an opportunity to buy a drivo at a heavily discounted price .... i.e less than £400 brand new

Is it really bad Chris? Can it be used effectively without ERG mode? Am I throwing my money away?
  • timothyw
    timothyw Posts: 2,482

timothyw said:

That sounded a proper bargain... But clicked on the link and its only the right shifter and brake. So Merlin's £240 for the pair or £300 for the Ultegra versions is much much better
    Ooh well spotted, that's a bit cheeky of them! Title seems to suggest both shifters and brakes, spec says otherwise!
  • rabk said:

tincaman said:

I have an opportunity to buy a drivo at a heavily discounted price .... i.e less than £400 brand new

Is it really bad Chris? Can it be used effectively without ERG mode? Am I throwing my money away?
    All smart turbos are toilet in erg mode if you're trying to smash sprint intervals.
    If you're doing sessions with small to medium steps in power it'll be fine.
  • chris_bass
    rabk said:

tincaman said:

it is ok - it is really slow - if you are using zwift and the gradient changes are close together it often missed small hills out completely!

erg mode has about 3 second lag before it even notices there has been a change and then takes a while to actually get the correct watts.

there are also random 2 second drops where the resistance bascially completely goes so you just spin out.

these are common problems with that trainer.

I would disagree that all trainers are bad at erg mode - i have used the neo, flux, zumo even wheel on tacx flow and they all handle erg mode much much better (neo is the best but the most expensive!)
  • tincaman
    tincaman Posts: 508
    rabk said:

tincaman said:

Mine doesn't drop out, ERG mode can take 10 secs to stabilise, up to 350W it is stable, if you struggle to hold anything above that then it hunt around a bit if you are inconsistent with your power delivery. I don't seem to have a problem in Zwift either, the Jungle circuit is quite swoopy, rolling up and down and it copes well with that. I would buy another.
  • rabk
    rabk Posts: 182
    tincaman said:

rabk said:

tincaman said:

Mine doesn't drop out, ERG mode can take 10 secs to stabilise, up to 350W it is stable, if you struggle to hold anything above that then it hunt around a bit if you are inconsistent with your power delivery. I don't seem to have a problem in Zwift either, the Jungle circuit is quite swoopy, rolling up and down and it copes well with that. I would buy another.
    Thanks everyone

If you had the opportunity to buy one for £375 .....would you?

It is from Halfords, I have a 25% voucher to take off their sale price ....so tempted....suppose ultimately, I could take it back for a refund

Has the latest App launch sorted out the firmware or is it still as bad as reported on the forums?

I have a Neo already, which my son has started using (therefore his bike now stays on it ), I'd like to have something to have my bike hooked up to and it seems a good deal - particularly if I don't use in ERG mode (I don't really use ERG on Neo)

• chris_bass
    rabk said:

tincaman said:

rabk said:

tincaman said:

Thanks everyone

If you had the opportunity to buy one for £375 .....would you?

It is from Halfords, I have a 25% voucher to take off their sale price ....so tempted....suppose ultimately, I could take it back for a refund

Has the latest App launch sorted out the firmware or is it still as bad as reported on the forums?

I have a Neo already, which my son has started using (therefore his bike now stays on it ), I'd like to have something to have my bike hooked up to and it seems a good deal - particularly if I don't use in ERG mode (I don't really use ERG on Neo)

having used both i'd go for the Zumo or suito for not much more than that
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    https://www.tweekscycles.com/uk/race-face-turbine-dropper-seatpost-2009034/

Good price drop for a trusted brand Raceface/Easton/Fox work together on the seatposts.
    125mm should fit in most frame and 31.6mm as well (Do check)
    If you do purchase a longer one (150mm +) make sure it fits inside the allocated space within your frame.(not always the case)

Test
    https://www.pinkbike.com/news/race-face-turbine-dropper-post-review-2016.html

RaceFace
    https://www.raceface.com/products/details/turbine-dropper-seatposts

Simple, reliable and dependable dropper seatpost
    Infinitely adjustable travel means you can always have the saddle at the right height
    Cable-actuated remote is always at your fingertips
    Neat and tidy internal cable routing
  • Red Shimano RC7 shoes in the extreme sizes for £50 at Merlin.
    https://www.merlincycles.com/shimano-rc7-spd-sl-road-shoes-101523.html
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • I got a set of these this week to use as my 'racy' gravel wheels: https://www.chainreactioncycles.com//fsa-k-force-mtb-wheelset/rp-prod189664?
    £499 from £1486 which is pretty epic. 21mm internal rim width.

I was going to get a set of Allroad Elites but these are currently the same price (were actually cheaper at 479 when I added to my basket but had gone up by the time I checked out). Bit more cash and legwork required if you want 12mm endcaps, but someone in the reviews has listed the exact distributor part numbers you need. I haven't mounted them up yet but they seem really nice.

If you buy from CRC rather than wiggle then including this cassette makes the order eligible for 0% finance: https://www.chainreactioncycles.com//sram-x1-xg-1180-11-speed-mtb-cassette/rp-prod122543?

Remains to be seen whether that 10t cog is worth the astronomical cost of those XD cassettes, but I figure when replacement time comes round I can probably get a shimano freehub body AND an XT cassette and still come out ahead.
    Custom Albannach Torragar [BUILD IN PROGRESS]
    2020 Ribble CGR SL
    2019 Vitus Vitesse Evo CRS Disc
  • Worth upgrading RS505 shifters and callipers for these? I’m tempted purely on an aesthetic level
  • johngti
    johngti Posts: 2,508
    azzurri78 said:

Worth upgrading RS505 shifters and callipers for these? I’m tempted purely on an aesthetic level

Well I’m upgrading my group set mostly for aesthetic reasons. Plus 11-speed instead of 10 but that’s going to be pretty much unnoticeable! Good price though, eh?
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    Yes most definitely a good upgrade and one you will be able to notice
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • mrdsgs
    mrdsgs Posts: 337
    10% off until 10am across ebay prosper10 code. have to spend £100+ on single purchase/basket
    Colnago Addict!
  • edindevon
    edindevon Posts: 325
    edited December 2019
    Deal on at Planet X until midnight - A Special Bike Deal For Our VIP Customers - 10% Off Bikes Excluding Bargain Bikes. The code is VIPBIKE, but the discount is added automatically.

So, for example, Planet X EC-130E Rivet Rider SRAM Rival 22 Aero Road Bike for £919.98 delivered or Holdsworth Super Professional SRAM Rival 22 for the same price.
  • luv2ride
    luv2ride Posts: 2,367
    edited December 2019

Got to love this, 1499 for carbon frame, Sram Force 1x and clearance for 700x50mm tyres :)
    If I hadn't just bought a gravel bike.... :s (...it is available in different colours!)
    Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    i'm tempted to get those R7020 to swap out the mech TRP on my CAAD12 but how do i know what cable lengths to buy?
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • johngti
    johngti Posts: 2,508
    edited December 2019
    itboffin said:

i'm tempted to get those R7020 to swap out the mech TRP on my CAAD12 but how do i know what cable lengths to buy?

I used a piece of string and ended up buying 800mm front and 1550 rear for a medium frame giant contend. The bits needed to shorten the hoses arrive today!! 🤣 750/1450 would have worked without needing to shorten them I think.

The only other thing to bear in mind is that the bolts for the rear calliper are the right length for a 20mm deep chain stay. My frame is 25mm so I’ve also had to order some new bolts. Not expensive but a bit of a pain. Oh, and there’s no gear cable outers.