MTB Canyon

Hi all, I gotta a question on the 2019 Grand Canyon from Canyon. Had a look at the geometry and well... It doesn’t look the best for aggressive trail riding. Should I still go for it? Any other options with similar specs and price? Live in Australia btw. Cheers!

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The Grand Canyon is an XC bike they have added a slightly longer travel fork to and a dropper, to make it faster on more tech XC sections, it's a trail bike for European trails not UK trails! Not sure what Australian trails look like........
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Thank so much, my local trail is Quarry MTB Park in Maribyrnong, Melbourne which is a flowy track and has some short rock gardens on a particular track. The particular Canyon model I am currently looking at is the Grand Canyon AL SL 8.0, will the bike be suited for the track and for a bit of trials riding? Is there another option?
  • robertpb
    robertpb Posts: 1,866
    This would be a better choice for what you are describing, https://www.wiggle.co.uk/vitus-sentier-29-vr-bike-sx-eagle-1x12-2020/
    Now where's that "Get Out of Crash Free Card"
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    I've just watched a YouTube video of Quarry MTB Park. There is nothing steep or very technical there and I think the Grand Canyon would be ideal for it. The head tube angle is a bit steeper than modern, more trail-orientated hard tails but nothing that's going to compromise the ride unless you start hitting real gnarr trails.

Is there any reason you are only looking at Canyon?
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • Well Canyon supplies a couple of pretty handy tools like shock pumps and torque wrenches which I don't own (because I'm new to MTB) along with the bike. Also the value for money compared to other brands like Giant and Norco which are popular here in Melbourne, well at least in my area. I have also looked at other brands like Nukeproof and Merida too, but they haven't met my wants and needs. Another question, recently got in touch with Canyon and they replied saying that their new 2020 Grand Canyon range is coming soon. Does anyone if Canyon will update the geometry with the release of the new bikes?
  • The Vitus looks really nice! Will decide between it and the maybe maybe the new Canyon models, but dam!