Buying advice - Supersix?

Hi!

I have an offer to buy a used Cannondale Supersix with a nice spec for EUR 3,500 (about the same in USD). I would like to know if you think it is a decent price for the following spec (the bike is in good condition and right size for me):

Cannondale SuperSix Evo hi-mod Team 2016
Dura ace di2
Rim brakes dura ace
FSA Kforce handlebars, stem and seatpost Vision metron 55sl wheels (2018) + one pair of TriMax 35 Alu/carbon wheels.

I would also like to know if you think the bike will be too “agressive” for me, based on the following description.

I am 45 years old. Until 6 months ago I was not interested in bikes at all and I was quite heavy (110 kg). Then I bought a Cinelli singlespeed (flat handlebar but clipless pedals) and realised I love cycling. I’m riding 200-300 km per week on it, currently on studded tires on the Swedish winter roads. I plan to double that when spring comes. I’ve lost 20 kg since I started cycling and I plan to get rid of another 15 kg before the summer. I have also signed up for participation in the Swedish classic gran fondo Vätternrundan (320 km) and some similar events. But I have hardly ever ridden a race bike. :)

First I was only looking at the endurance bike range (Defy, Synapse, Infinito, Roubaix, etc.). They feel less intimidating for someone not used to race bikes. :) But then I starter thinking that since I love riding and plan to do it a lot, maybe once I get used (and even less heavy) I will prefer something more ”racy”. But then again I change my mind thinking I’m too old and have too stiff body. And so it goes, back and forth. So you see, I have a hard time deciding. :)

Any advice will be very much appreciated!

Daniel

Comments

• navrig2
    navrig2 Posts: 1,833
    Difficult to say categorically that the price is good. You should consider what would that money buy you new. The DA kit will be good but Ultegra does the same job and just as efficiently just with a few more grammes in weight.

What condition is it in? It anything needs replaced you will have to pay a lot to keep the DA groupset intact. Is that worth it compared to a new Ultegra machine.

Similarly it's hard to comment on suitability of the Supersix for you. It's less about mileage and more about flexibility and core strength. To be sure you should try to get a ride on it and see how your back feels.

Where was the excess weight stored? If around your gut you may find the riding position introduces leg/gut clashing.

You can get a very nice new bike for 3,500EU in your size, your colour and a reliable groupset.
  • Many thanks for the valuable advice! I will certainly consider it.

If I buy new I will have to settle for Ultegra without di2 though. And alloy wheels. On some of the endurance models I’ve been looking at, like the Roubaix or the Bianchi Infinito, I will not even get that, but rather a 105. Maybe prices are higher in Sweden?

I understand I’m not a good enough rider to really benefit from dura-ace or carbon wheels. But it may possibly enhance my performance in another way. If riding a well equipped bike makes me happy I might spend even more time in the saddle. :)

My extra weight was/is mainly around the gut. However, it will be all gone before the summer, I promise. ;)

Thinking about it, I wonder if a bike like Canyon Endurace or Bianchi Infinito could be the right compromise? From a stack/reach ratio perspective they are somewhere in the middle between a “racy” bike like Supersix and a very upright one like Roubaix.

I will test ride any bike before buying but I’m not sure that will give me so much input. Since I’m not at all used to race bikes, I’m quite sure I will currently find whatever is the most upright one the best fit. However, I’m also quite sure I will look differently on things after 6 months and 5000+ miles of adaptation.
  • Or maybe increase the budget by another 1,500 EUR and go for this one?
  • All the bikes you have mentioned are great bikes, at your price range there's no such thing as a bad bike.

However, there is a such a thing as the wrong bike, that's why it's so important to go to a dealer and try a few different bikes out. For example go to a Specialized dealer and try out a Tarmac, Roubaix and Diverge to see which of them you prefer.
    A dealer will be more than happy to let you try each of them if it means you might spend your money with them.
  • Another fellow Swede here!

I've had the Supersix Evo and it is a great bike but quite aggressive. Hard to say how flexible you are but it's a race bike.
    After the EVO I went to a Giant TCR and it was perfect for me in terms of race fit and comfort. I did Vätternrundan on it in 2018.

I think 3,500€ sounds a bit much, I am assuming 35,000kr?
    I just sold my Giant TCR Disc 2017 with Ultegra Di2 for 21,000kr (€2,100) with carbon wheels.

Prices are definitely higher in Sweden, but also be aware, sellers selling used bikes ALWAYS put a way too high asking price because you know you'll get haggled down.
    Maybe offer a bit less than the 3,500 asking price?

Also with Bianchi and Specialized, you do pay a premium, especially here in Sweden.
    Brands like Scott and Cube are much better priced here from what I've seen.

Check out the Happyride website for used bikes in Sweden unless you already do :-)
  • Thanks! Actually he initially asked for 40,000kr which even I understood was too much. I got the offer on Happyride btw.

I have a new idea. What do you think about buying an inexpensive used race bike now (max 1kEUR)? Then I ride it throughout the winter to see what I think about the geometry. I figure that would help me to make a more informed decision when buying what I really want as spring arrives. If my winter bike was too aggressive I can buy something more relaxed and vice versa. And if the winter bike feels OK I can keep it for winters to come.
  • I wrote race bike but meant road bike... For the winter I will need something that I can put slightly wider studded tires on (I have 28s on my singlespeed). An inexpensive used Defy with simple spec for example. Then I have a few months to play around a with the fit on that one and get a feeling for what might suit me, before deciding on a nice “summer bike”. And my Chinelli would be put to rest for a while, although I like that one too :)
  • navrig2
    navrig2 Posts: 1,833
    You seem intent on having a pro level type bike in which case I suggest you try and borrow such a bike with race geometry and take it for a long ride.

If you don't feel stiff and sore the next day then buy one. The "rules" for 2nd hand purchases apply to all bikes:

New price versus 2nd hand (depreciation)
    Cost to maintain (DA versus Ultegra vs 105 - all will work for you as a fit amateur)

You win't get an answer here about suitability for you because it's down to fit and riding position.
  • rwoofer
    rwoofer Posts: 221
    I'm 51 and started road cycling just over two years ago. Started with an endurance bike which initially I found too low at the front end, giving me back ache. Wind the clock forward to now and I have a SuperSix Evo HM which I just love. It is an aggressive bike (I have about 20mm of spacers under the stem and above the top cap), but it is also a very, very special bike to ride. Basically in the two years, my fitness went up, my weight dropped off and with a bit of yoga my flexibility improved to make a race bike a comfortable ride for me (I'm 6'6", currently 89kg and ride a 60cm frame).

So if you are focussed on fitness and flexibility you can make a race bike work, but you need to be sure that you are going to put the work in. If in doubt I would stick to an endurance bike.
  • Thank you all very much for your advice. Actually I bought a bike today. Less aggressive than Supersix but more so than some of the endurance bikes I’ve been looking at. Stack 580 reach 389. Maybe not the most obvious brand though...

KTM Revelator Prestige
    Size 57 but with shorter stem (90 mm)
    Dura-Ace Di2
    Carbon wheels of unknown brand. They are labelled Pirinfarina but they don’t make any bike wheels, do they? He said the wheels had been swapped from his wife’s bike and that they are actually relabelled Mavic Cosmic. Not sure if that’s correct but he seemed trustworthy (I got his real name, tel and address, and the original receipt from when he bought it from the local store, and I made the purchase at his home).
    Extemely light bike, my scale shows 6,8.

I took the bike for a test ride before buying and it felt really good. The reach felt perfect as far as I could tell (it felt like a naturally relaxed position with slightly bended arms). Not that I really know how it should feel...😁 The receipt says he bought it new earlier this year from a well known local bike store, and it looks as if it came straight from the dealer. Not a scratch anywhere. He said he’s selling it cause it’s too large for him (He’s about 1 1/2 inch shorter than me I think.)

I paid 33,000 SEK (3,500 USD). Not sure if that’s a good deal, but I can tell from the receipt from when he bought it that the whole thing must have been a really bad deal for him.

Please feel free to comment. If you think I bought the wrong bike I can take it.🙂

Finally, if you have any idea about the wheels, let me know. What brand they are and whether they are good or bad. At least they look like they’re in good condition. The braking surface hardly seems used as far as I can tell.

• I think he may have been wrong about the wheels. He says he swapped them from his wife’s DeRosa. I can see on the internet that De Rosa have a bike named De Rosa Pininfarin with the name Pininfarin written on them. According to the De Rosa spec I find they should actually be Compagnolo Bora. And he said he was not sure... Other than he knew he took it from his wife’s De Rosa, which she bought a few months ago. For some reason she preferred the wheels that came with the KTM and wanted to swap.
  • arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    edited December 2019
    Doubt they are Campagnolo Bora despite what the De Rosa spec states. From the link below you can see that all the Bora rear wheels have the distinctive G3 spoke lacing pattern,

https://www.campagnolo.com/UK/en/Wheels/carbon_wheels_for_racing_bicycles

From what I can see in your pic the rear wheel has a standard lacing pattern. Unless of course Campagnolo have made some special OEM wheels for De Rosa

Have just found another link which states that on some models the wheels are Pininfarina rebadged Vision Metron wheels so that looks somewhat more likely from the appearance in your pic.

https://roadcyclinguk.com/gear/de-rosa-sk-pininfarina.html
  • Thanks! I’m quite sure you’re right. I took a look at the Vision Metron wheels and they look identical to the ones on my bike.
  • fatyjumo
    fatyjumo Posts: 1
    edited December 2019

I think he may have been wrong about the wheels. He says he swapped them from his wife’s DeRosa. I can see on the internet that De Rosa have a bike named De Rosa Pininfarin with the name Pininfarin written on them. According to the De Rosa spec I find they should actually be Compagnolo Bora. And he said he was not sure... Other than mycoles he knew he took it from his wife’s De Rosa, which she bought a few months ago. For some reason she preferred the wheels that came with the KTM and wanted to swap.

Love buying it.