Dropper post

Hello, recently joined the forum and looking for some advice. Recently bought a saracen mantra and looking for a budget dropper post for a beginner. Tba ks in advance

Comments

• steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,443
    The Brand-X Ascend droppers are very good. They are so much cheaper than the Reverbs and similar that I wonder how on earth they manage to do it (unless the others are ripping everybody off of course!) :*

I bought one for my grandson and it has behaved flawlessly. Before I bought it I researched different posts and found the Brand-X Ascend. Do your own Google search and you will find many, many reviews that will give you confidence.

This one from Chain Reaction Cycles comes in at only £40 more than the cost of a service for a Reverb!
    https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/brand-x-ascend-ii-105-125-150mm-dropper-seatpost/rp-prod159176?utm_source=affiliate-window&utm_medium=affiliates&utm_campaign=Skimlinks&utm_term=Skimlinks&utm_content=Sub+Networks&awc=2698_1540544852_e19137fbeb2647074f8229e7c195efd7

Choose carefully to ensure that you get the correct seatpost diameter, and travel for your bike. Make sure that you can get the saddle to the correct height when the post is fully extended.
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    I'll second a Brand-X Ascent.
    The one on my hardtail has outlived a Giant Contact and a Specialized Command Post on my full sus.

You need a 30.9mm diameter post for the Mantra.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • Thanks guys, and thanks for your input. Bare in mind im new to this would you say the dropper posts are a good addition? Me and my son of 11 have both got the saracen bikes so trying to make the right up grades rather than making wrong decisions.

Cheers
  • david7m
    david7m Posts: 636
    I love my dropper..... when it works (rockshox)!
    Wouldn't be without it, but will have a different brand when this one breaks again (only got it back from another service a month ago, fully expecting it to fail again before winter over).
    What type of riding do you do?
  • Hi david, that's good to know then that they are worth the investment, they do seem like a great idea, which make you thinking next? Me and the lad are just starting out from fresh, no real proper biking experience but we are going to be going into grizedale and winlatter fairly frequently once we get kitted out. I had no idea how much gear there was to consider.
  • david7m
    david7m Posts: 636
    Im still tempted to get one of these while it heavily reduced - https://www.tweekscycles.com/uk/race-face-turbine-dropper-seatpost-2009034/

If not, will be brand x.

If you don't have one yet, you can't miss it :) do you have all your safety kit, as I'd get that before a dropper especially with your son riding? Good tyres make a huge difference too.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812

. Bare in mind im new to this would you say the dropper posts are a good addition?

A dropper post is a great addition for trail riding, but if you're doing XC not so much.

The Mantra is quite an entry level bike, the fork is fairly basic as are the tyres.

To be honest I'd bet getting better tyres on it before a dropper.

Another option for you is the Giant dropper post, they are convertible from internal to external routing and do come quite cheap used, you need to clean and regrease under the collar but it's a simple job and if you do that they are pretty reliable, used they are typically circa £40-50.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • JBA said:

I'll second a Brand-X Ascent.
    The one on my hardtail has outlived a Giant Contact and a Specialized Command Post on my full sus.

You need a 30.9mm diameter post for the Mantra.

Hi JBA thanks for your responce, iv been offline for a while so only just seen the responce. When you say the mantra needs 30.9mm diameter post what length would i need for a 19 inch frame? Cheers
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    You need to measure how much seat post you currently have exposed and then decide what what drop you would like. For example, if you only have 120mm of post exposed then you can't fit a dropper post with 150mm drop. However, if you have 180mm of post showing you could fit anything from 100mm to 150mm drop.
    Once you have decided on the drop you need/want have a look at the Brand-X droppers and the listed overall lengths to determine which one will fit.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • Superb. Thank you very much. I will get onto that later on when im.home.and hopefully get one ordered. Thanks again
  • I ended up going with the brand x seat post, 30.9 diameter with a 125mm drop, fitted it today and it seems great thus far. Thanks for your advise everyone. Cheers