Smart watch

Anyone use a smart watch to track their workouts rather than an on board bike computer?
https://www.instagram.com/seanmcgrathphotography/
Planet X RT58
Cannondale CAAD 10 2012.
Pain.. Is weakness leaving the body.

HATING LIFE-CYCLES FROM 2011

Comments

• haydenm
    haydenm Posts: 2,997
    bikeit65 said:

Anyone use a smart watch to track their workouts rather than an on board bike computer?

I have a Garmin forerunner 235 watch which is great, some going nice and cheap online now as they are quite old. I do have a Garmin and, more recently, a Wahoo which are bike mounted but I tent to only really use those if I want to follow a route or I want more metrics while I'm riding.

I bought the garmin as I do a lot of mountain biking and a bit of running, nice to hop on whichever bike and hit go
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Garmin Fenix. GPS records my cycling and running and outdoor swims.
    Indoor it can record spin stuff and I don't need it for Zwift as the app records it all.

I'd not bother with a smart watch as such.
  • I have a Garmin Fenix 5S and use if for MTB, running/walking and playing hockey. GPS works well and it talks to My Fitness Pal and Strava (via Garmin Connect).

It does have a built in HRT but prefer to use a chest strap as it is more accurate.
    "Ride, crash, replace"
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,597
    I considered one for a while but I did a test run where I looked at my "normal" watch every time I looked at the Garmin. I decided not to get one.
    They will work best if you don't want to look at anything very often, or are bar mounted.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    Smart watches are a PITA to check on your wrist whilst riding - well, when you've got long sleeves on anyway.
    I've ridden with strava going on the smart watch - it's fine to record - even though the accuracy isn't the same as the bike computer - I just don't look at it.
    Mind you - I tend not to look at the bike computer much these days ... just turn the pedals .. (although forwards would probably be quicker! ;) )
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    I have a cheap nasty smartwatch (Morepro P1C) - unbelievably cheap for what it is, basically works well but the software and interface design is appalling.
    Generalities might be more useful than specifics, though some of the following is a bit more device-specific :
    - quick and easy to start recording on a watch
    - not so handy for looking at your speed or any other info along the way - I find it halfway convenient when running, but really, really inconvenient on the bike, especially wearing winter gear
    - GPS seems to be quite accurate and quick to get a fix: different devices will vary of course
    - ditto radial pulse: seems to work well enough, of course if you're serious about heart rate then something that connects to a proper HRM is better
    - battery life seems to be pretty good on mine, others not so much
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    I have both a Garmin 810 and Garmin 35 and use them both (not at the same time).

tbh, i don't look at either much during a ride (unless i'm using the 810 for navigation), so it doesn't bother me much to have it on the wrist. I only use them for recording the ride and not too bothered about looking at loads of data as I go.

I'm thinking of upgrading to a vivoactive 3, 4 or even a Fenix 5 at some point.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • bikeit65
    bikeit65 Posts: 982
    Thanks guys, now to decide which SW to get.
    https://www.instagram.com/seanmcgrathphotography/
    Planet X RT58
    Cannondale CAAD 10 2012.
    Pain.. Is weakness leaving the body.

HATING LIFE-CYCLES FROM 2011
  • Yep, me too!
    Now I wonder which one to buy...