thursday decapitating zombie projects

'ning

start of day comestibles, followed by too many webexes and meetings

cramming them into one day prevents overruns eating into quality time and avoids spoiling other days
my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny

Comments

• lincolndave
    lincolndave Posts: 9,441
    Morning, mild and misty, bike needs a good clean and lub after yesterday’s ride, best get the decorations down as well
    Have a good day
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,831
    WFH but unfortunately so is the wife, so I’ve had to cancel the hookers and blow.

Later is parents evening
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,158
    edited December 2019
    oxoman said:

TLW, surely you just invite the OH and your sorted.

He wouldn't have to pay her either, so win-win.

Similarly busy day with lots of call and meetings, but it keeps Friday pretty clear.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,432
    very scenic red dawn from gmc towers, rising sun shining up under the low cloud, misty over hyde park, crystal palace transmitter in the distance

time for another coffee
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    Morning, no sign of dawn here just thick fog. Made some mince pies last night with some highly flammable sweet mince.
    Another day playing webex wheel of doom then home.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,195
    Dawn? It's dull here. Full headlights to school job. Bring back High pressure, sunshine and frosts. I blame Brexit.
    TLW: 'Scraping' bwahahaha... Boil half a kettle, fill it up with cold water and pour. If you are worried this may crack your glass, then I have done this for years, I have also done this recently to Porker #2 when the garage was inaccessible and never once had a problem.

Today will be meeting no.6 with architect, enduring xmas Carol's at school and generally stuffing my face with a few sacrificial mince pies.

Laters.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • haydenm
    haydenm Posts: 2,997
    Morning, more budgets and slavery. Group video call after 5pm which means I will be working late as I have all week but I won't actually get anything done. The only glimmer of joy I have had this week is booking flights for the honeymoon in April, the OH seems quite excited. Oh and my colleague finding a condom full of gone off milk in his top drawer, that has high quality amusement
  • Desk jockey today, might purchase more twinkly lights on the way home.

Anyone got any recommends on an outdoor waterproof timer that'll fit in to a covered outdoor socket? It's RCD protected at source so that's covered, I just can't be bothered going out to switch lights on in the morning and at night.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • Fairly quiet day. Picked up a small fortune's worth of light fittings for the renovated rooms downstairs, sparky turns up tomorrow hopefully. Birthday lunch of a toasted sandwich and coffee. Pizza for dinner.

Still blowing a strong breeze to a gale here, not stopped in weeks
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • hopkinb
    hopkinb Posts: 7,129

Birthday lunch of a toasted sandwich and coffee. Pizza for dinner.

Happy birthday! Assuming it's yours of course. Surely you'll crack open a nice bottle to accompany the pizza?
  • hopkinb said:

Birthday lunch of a toasted sandwich and coffee. Pizza for dinner.

Happy birthday! Assuming it's yours of course. Surely you'll crack open a nice bottle to accompany the pizza?
    Thank you, yep me, one step closer to decrepitude...

We had friends over a couple nights ago which was a few wines too many. Simple stuff today, just a cheeky little shiraz or 3.

Got given a bottle of this today
    Really luscious whisky

Well worth a try, even if it might be deemed heresy in the UK!
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,121
    haydenm said:

Morning, more budgets and slavery. Group video call after 5pm which means I will be working late as I have all week but I won't actually get anything done. The only glimmer of joy I have had this week is booking flights for the honeymoon in April, the OH seems quite excited. Oh and my colleague finding a condom full of gone off milk in his top drawer, that has high quality amusement

Are you sure it was milk?
    Trick noted for including in the ongoing escape plan.

We have a rule here that came from the dude at the the top that meetings can't be scheduled to start less than 30 mins before home time. It's regularly ignored though :/
  • haydenm
    haydenm Posts: 2,997
    edited December 2019

haydenm said:

Are you sure it was milk? :/
    I have insider information that it was indeed milk. It was also stretched over his water bottle, with the tip full of milk. The time condoms were involved in pranks he was driving about for 2 weeks with one stretched over his towbar

EDIT: It absolutely couldn't have been me as I was in a Pizza Express in Woking that day, and I don't lactate due to a rare medical condition I got whilst fighting in the Falklands. I also went to see the world famous 123m tall spire of Salisbury Cathedral.
  • pinno

Thank you, yep me, one step closer to decrepitude...

'Step closer'?!

HB WS nonetheless.

• awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    pinno said:

Dawn? It's dull here. Full headlights to school job. Bring back High pressure, sunshine and frosts. I blame Brexit.
    TLW: 'Scraping' bwahahaha... Boil half a kettle, fill it up with cold water and pour. If you are worried this may crack your glass, then I have done this for years, I have also done this recently to Porker #2 when the garage was inaccessible and never once had a problem.

Today will be meeting no.6 with architect, enduring xmas Carol's at school and generally stuffing my face with a few sacrificial mince pies.

Laters.

it wont crack your glass instantly, but it will cause thermal shock in the glass because the water temp is vastly different to the frozen windscreen, and it then becomes prone to cracking more likely over time, so you might find the stone that hits the windscreen cracks it,instead of chipping it slightly.

Its just like that glass I put in the washing up bowl and the bottom just cracked off it and fell off,and Ive seen it happen loads of times in pubs too because of dishwasher temps the glasses look totally fine, and then get knocked slightly and they just fall apart.
  • pinno
    awavey said:

pinno said:

Laters.

it wont crack your glass instantly, but it will cause thermal shock in the glass because the water temp is vastly different to the frozen windscreen, and it then becomes prone to cracking more likely over time, so you might find the stone that hits the windscreen cracks it,instead of chipping it slightly.

Its just like that glass I put in the washing up bowl and the bottom just cracked off it and fell off,and Ive seen it happen loads of times in pubs too because of dishwasher temps the glasses look totally fine, and then get knocked slightly and they just fall apart.
    Windscreen glass is highly tempered. If you have boil half a kettle and fill it, the temp is max 50 deg c.
    Max in the -ve? Say, -5... that's a difference of 55 deg.

Dishwasher temp - I worked in bars and in catering, seen it too, 70 deg + on untempered glass to cold water.

You would therefore have to prove your theory sir.
  • pinno said:

awavey said:

Awavey wrote stuff...

Windscreen glass is highly tempered. If you have boil half a kettle and fill it, the temp is max 50 deg c.

Dishwasher temp - I worked in bars and in catering, seen it too, 70 deg + on untempered glass to cold water.

Or possibly Madam might be more appropriate?
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,608
    Ker-ching.

Unlike Pinno to be blinkered. 😊
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    pinno said:

awavey said:

pinno said:

Laters.

sir ? swearbox, regardless I cant prove my theory,all I can say is I will never put boiling water on a car windscreen when its freezing to clear it
  • hopkinb
    hopkinb Posts: 7,129
    Cold water from the tap should clear it, what with that being at least 10 degrees above freezing. I dunno, I don't need a car in the morning, and the one I do have has a heated front windscreen, which is excellent.
  • pinno
    edited December 2019
    awavey said:

pinno said:

awavey said:

pinno said:

Laters.

sir ? swearbox, regardless I cant prove my theory,all I can say is I will never put boiling water on a car windscreen when its freezing to clear it
    But but but (madam*), I boil HALF a kettle and then fill it up with cold water... So I don't put BOILING water on it.

Jeezo...

*Yes, i'm aware of that WS.
  • Stevo_666
    Decent ice scraper is also quite handy...
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,252
    Stevo advocating manual labour is quite correct, I’ve never poured water onto a windscreen. Or does he mean a man to do the scraping for him?
    Saying that I do like the heated screen on the Frod, scraping the inside of the screen on the Mini is not so good. No scraping on the treader thankfully.
  • Stevo_666

Stevo advocating manual labour is quite correct, I’ve never poured water onto a windscreen. Or does he mean a man to do the scraping for him?
    Saying that I do like the heated screen on the Frod, scraping the inside of the screen on the Mini is not so good. No scraping on the treader thankfully.

It's sufficiently non-technical for me :)

I even did Stropteens' windscreen the other week.
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,121
    Shame it's a bit awkward to keep your car in the living room to stop it freezing up, like bikes :)
  • pinno
    edited December 2019
    Whatevs...