Sram apex 1x11

How good or bad is this groupset.
Mine is shifting poorly - having to double click the odd gear . Usually up on the lower gears but realistically getting about 10 gears
A club mate told me he had the same issues couldn’t solve it and sold the bike in end . Is it generally a poor shifting groupset ?
Cable was replaced by the way . Got a couple of rides and back again !

Comments

• whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,695
    edited December 2019
    Is the cable routed correctly? The cable routing on Sram's 1x mechs is weird. There's a hole it needs to go through before the clamping bolt that's not immediately obvious. Shifting is flawless once it is set up - I have bikes on Rival, Apex and Force and the shifting is pretty much the same for the three.
  • gary_sparrow
    gary_sparrow Posts: 181
    edited December 2019
    Interesting - thanks I’ll check that out .
    I’m putting into local shop for investigation but currently it’s a pain in the ass
  • luv2ride
    luv2ride Posts: 2,367
    I built up a bike with Apex 1x rear derailleur, 1x chainset and a Sram 11s bar end shifter. Worked impeccably from the off. Just picked up a bike with full Sram Rival 1x...great shifting. Hope you get yours sorted...
    Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...
  • gary_sparrow
    gary_sparrow Posts: 181
    edited December 2019
    Strangely I’ve read that the 11-42 pg1130 cassette needs to have a 1.8m spacer ! Mine doesn’t have that
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,695
    edited December 2019
    If you needed a spacer and didn't have it, the cassette wouldn't be tight. They're only needed on 11 speed hubs. I swapped the cables on the Apex bike today and took some pictures. The first shows the hole with the cable through it, the other shows the compete correct routing.

• Longshot
    Longshot Posts: 940
    Mine's been fine so far.
    You can fool some of the people all of the time. Concentrate on those people.
  • Mine's alright but I do find that I can never get it running that sweetly. There's one sprocket where it needs a bit of encouragement to shift up into.
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    Seen a few where they cable used was actually wrong cable diameter causing sticky shifting.
    I think from memory you need 1.1mm cable in the SRAM shifter, not the 1.2 or 1.3 you can lob into a shimano. Its a small change but does cause sticky shifting, I've got the same problem on of of my bikes, just not gotten round to sorting it yet.
  • Got that sorred in end

Cable fitted and new mech

It had also been routed incorrectly would you believe

Shifting perfect
  • luv2ride
    luv2ride Posts: 2,367
    Right, my turn for slow shifting and Also can't now get in the 42t cog. Was ok, then had the rear wheel out to convert it to tubeless, and have managed to muller the shifting when trying to make some ham-fisted adjustments.

Before I resort to the LBS, anyone got a failsafe method for settingbup a Rival 1x RD? Has an inline cable tensioner as well as the barrel adjuster on the RD.
    Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...