What is the length of your daily cycle commute?

Comments

• Longshot
    Longshot Posts: 940
    So, I'm not being entirely lazy given my potential daily commute would be 50km each way?

I'm toying with an 'In one day', 'Out one day' pattern. Trouble is it doesn't save on the train fares, which would be nice.
    You can fool some of the people all of the time. Concentrate on those people.
  • parmos
    parmos Posts: 100
    edited December 2019
    shortest unsafe route 9.5 mile

safest route 10.5miles but tend to change the end bit daily to bang a few more miles in coming home do a min 15 miles
  • timothyw
    timothyw Posts: 2,482
    Longshot said:

So, I'm not being entirely lazy given my potential daily commute would be 50km each way?

I'm toying with an 'In one day', 'Out one day' pattern. Trouble is it doesn't save on the train fares, which would be nice.

Yeah, definitely not lazy. Unless it's pancake flat or you are a machine you're talking 2 hours each way easily.

Better approach is to either look at doing the commute a couple of days a week, or doing part of the commute by bike, part by train (especially if you can find a way to save a bit on train fare by doing so).
  • Used to be 28km each way, downhill on the way to work which was great. Then I moved to the city centre, it was 3k so I just rolled in slowly in my regular clothes. Now I work from home, and I'm fat(ter)
  • 3 miles. It's downhill both ways somehow.
  • Longshot

3 miles. It's downhill both ways somehow.

That sounds like my kind of commute.
  • photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,410
    Mad_Malx said:

22km 400m climbing per day, 5days a week.
    Possibly to the same destination as photonic.
    - edit : Ah yes, I vaguely know him.

Possibly? Do I know you though?

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    Here in mountainous Scotland I have a 30km, 300m each way commute. So not that hilly really.

Unless I take the long (110km, 1500m) way home via Glenshee (maybe two or three times a year)

Usually commute by bike twice a week, three times if I get the chance (depends on childcare arrangements)

I think that even I - getting old, overweight, worn down, with a dodgy heart and legs made of a delightful mix of titanium and crumbling ligaments - could actually do this every day, but I actually like to see my family sometimes.
  • That descent from Glenshee is one of the best around, definitely better then having to spend time with the family ;)
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674

That descent from Glenshee is one of the best around, definitely better then having to spend time with the family ;)

I still haven't quite managed to break 100kmh, but I've been close :p
  • andyrr
    andyrr Posts: 1,817
    Mine used to be a 37 mile round trip, did 2, 3, or 4 times a week, from South of Edinburgh to the West side of Edinburgh That reduced to nothing when I was combining p/t work and OU study but I'm now commuting into Edinburgh 3 times a week, 13 miles each way, about 120 meters climbing heading in, 300mtres on the return.
  • This time of year it's just over 9 miles each way, pretty flat, In better weather I go a slightly hillier route over the South Downs, about 12 miles and 500 ft of hills each way. This can be extended via various pubs in the Summer.
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,121

asprilla said:

65km round trip. Not many hills, I think it's 200m of climbing all in; it mainly follows the river and they don't do much in the way of uphill.

fark.

Mine's 12km each way, takes ~40 mins in, 30 mins home.

it's worth remembering Marchetti's constant
    "Marchetti's constant is the average time spent by a person for commuting each day, which is approximately one hour"
    I've found that to be about right - whether I go by car, train, bike or a combination of the above.
  • handful
    handful Posts: 920
    15 miles each way on very rural but surprisingly well used roads across the Somerset levels. Virtually pan flat which makes it sound idyllic but usually only a breath of tailwind in the early morning and home into a gale. (South Westerly prevailing wind) I can extend it to around 18 miles and turn it into a very rural "seldom used by car" route. Both routes are too dangerous in the dark though so summer only for me and not enough, will try and do better next year!
    Vaaru Titanium Sram Red eTap
    Moda Chord with drop bars and Rival shifters - winter/do it all bike
    Orbea Rise
  • handful said:

15 miles each way on very rural but surprisingly well used roads across the Somerset levels. Virtually pan flat which makes it sound idyllic but usually only a breath of tailwind in the early morning and home into a gale. (South Westerly prevailing wind) I can extend it to around 18 miles and turn it into a very rural "seldom used by car" route. Both routes are too dangerous in the dark though so summer only for me and not enough, will try and do better next year!

You could include Draycott steep... :-)
    left the forum March 2023
  • andyeb
    andyeb Posts: 407
    99.7km round trip. OK, OK, I don't do it every day, but at the moment with the SWR guard strike, I'm doing at least one direction 3-4 times a week.
  • handful
    handful Posts: 920

handful said:

You could include Draycott steep... :-)
    I could if I wanted to torture myself! I will probably try and tackle it before I do the Dartmoor Classic next year. That's what I love about cycling around here, plenty of options from pan flat to 25% and all within half an hour of home.
    Vaaru Titanium Sram Red eTap
    Moda Chord with drop bars and Rival shifters - winter/do it all bike
    Orbea Rise
  • 9miles each way.approx.30min in and 40min home 5 days a week for the last 3years.Even managed to make it to work when Scotland got hit from the Beast fae the East!
  • 52 miles round trip with 2700ft of climbing on a disc braked, single speed (super low maintenance\cleaning requirements). 3-4 days a week depending on fatigue and if I have race. If I'm knackered or want to rest I can work from home easily enough. I could do the distance every day of the week but the climbing is what really adds to the accumulated fatigue .. especially on a single speed. On a multi-geared bike the climbing is not such an issue .. just got to learn to pace yourself. With the single speed you don't get that pacing option. Have only been using the single speed for the last 3500 miles and have just dropped the rear cog from a 18T to a 16T so not exactly making the climbing easier but wanted to reducing spinning out on the flatter parts of the ride. Will be interesting to see where this all goes..
    Sometimes you're the hammer, sometimes you're the nail

strava profile
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 4,993

Mad_Malx said:

We’ve met a few times over the years, but there will be a lot more people know you than me. In the staff directory I’m one of the few Malcolms, and I think the only drug dealer....

• redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Door to door is a smidge under 10 miles to work and just over from work but the to work ride always includes a little add-on to take it over 10 miles.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • Longshot

52 miles round trip with 2700ft of climbing on a disc braked, single speed (super low maintenance\cleaning requirements). 3-4 days a week depending on fatigue and if I have race. If I'm knackered or want to rest I can work from home easily enough. I could do the distance every day of the week but the climbing is what really adds to the accumulated fatigue .. especially on a single speed. On a multi-geared bike the climbing is not such an issue .. just got to learn to pace yourself. With the single speed you don't get that pacing option. Have only been using the single speed for the last 3500 miles and have just dropped the rear cog from a 18T to a 16T so not exactly making the climbing easier but wanted to reducing spinning out on the flatter parts of the ride. Will be interesting to see where this all goes..

You win. Chapeau!
  • photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,410
    Mad_Malx said:

Mad_Malx said:

We’ve met a few times over the years, but there will be a lot more people know you than me. In the staff directory I’m one of the few Malcolms, and I think the only drug dealer....

Aha! Yes, a nice profile picture you have ;)

I swear those hills never get any easier no matter how many times I commute up them!

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• Longshot said:

52 miles round trip ..

You win. Chapeau!
    I only posted to show what's do-able .. for sure everyone is different but I reckon the two main issues with the long bike commute are:
    1. Time .. long commutes = long time "lost" from your day.
    2. Mental .. long commute = you really need to want to do it.

Me? I rationalise both of these by thinking I'm so glad I'm not stuck in a car and if I was in a car I'd still have to make time in my day to get exercise some how (as well as the motivation to do it).
    Sometimes you're the hammer, sometimes you're the nail

strava profile
  • Eight miles. Four to work and another four back home.
  • Usually around 20km each way and 5-600 meters total elevation. Could cut it shorter but the longer ways avoid traffic.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498

Longshot said:

52 miles round trip ..

You win. Chapeau!
    I only posted to show what's do-able .. for sure everyone is different but I reckon the two main issues with the long bike commute are:
    1. Time .. long commutes = long time "lost" from your day.
    2. Mental .. long commute = you really need to want to do it.

Me? I rationalise both of these by thinking I'm so glad I'm not stuck in a car and if I was in a car I'd still have to make time in my day to get exercise some how (as well as the motivation to do it).
    yup agree with both of those ... I used to like longer commutes - it wasn't "Lost" time - it was time spent doing something I enjoyed doing - when I hadn't got anything else to do.
    I've cut my commute as short as possible now - still force myself to get out of bed and do it - cos it's the one time I have to be up early - I'd love to take that left turn and put in another couple of miles ... but I just don't have the time/motivation to get up even earlier.
  • 10 miles each way, with around 650ft of climb. Half tarmac, half towpath (un-paved).

I try for 3-4 commutes a week, depending on whether I'm in the office, and in the summer time I can take a 'scenic' route home of up to 35miles, with 3000ft of climb.
  • mtb-idle
    mtb-idle Posts: 2,179
    18miles/28km each way
    FCN = 4
  • mrfpb
    mrfpb Posts: 4,569
    11 or 13 miles each way. Varies from 1 to 5 days a week with weather, fitness etc. The variation in length is down to what roads I'll risk on the day.
    Most of it can be off road (canal). I find I'm noticing the smell of traffic fumes more in the car on days I drive in.
    I've started using my Migraine app to compare headache days to commute. I think there's a correlation between driving to work and headache days!