Silly commuting racing

Comments

• cjcp said:

a manhole cover as you complete the sharp left turn after a short down-slope after that park (heading east), and some very impatient riding.

God yes, have had a few 'squeaky bum time' slides on that manhole cover after the park
  • monkimark said:

Yeah, it was a bit of a minefield down there yesterday. Totally closed today but I don't think there were any signs up until half way down the road so lots of u-turns and frustrated drivers.

They were just putting signs up for the detour at about 11:30 this morning when I went through. Wonder if the bollards on the cycle lane will still be there tonight.
  • kingstonian
    kingstonian Posts: 2,847
    Traffic last night seemed pretty mental, I knew Chelsea were playing at home which always snarls up NKR but Putney Bridge and LRR were chocka too. Then the carnage of Priory Lane was interesting, great big lumps of rubble lying about in the road wasn't what the doctor ordered.

Had a weird scenario yesterday morning, a guy was at the side of the road with a puncture and I asked him if he was okay. He asked if I had a pump, which I didn't but I offered him the use of my CO2 cartridges instead to get him on his way.......and he refused !!!!! Oh well, enjoy being stuck by the side of the road mate.
  • rower63
    rower63 Posts: 1,991
    haven't read anything from TGOTB recently - did he not make it through the site revamp?
    Dolan Titanium ADX 2016
    Ridley Noah FAST 2013
    Bottecchia/Campagnolo 1990
    Carrera Parva Hybrid 2016
    Hoy Sa Calobra 002 2014 [off duty]
    Storck Absolutist 2011 [off duty]
    http://www.slidingseat.net/cycling/cycling.html
  • To the many commuters I see in London with no bar end plugs - read this! And then deal with it!!

https://bikeradar.com/news/teenager-degloves-penis/

The rest of your bike can be as un-maintained as you like, but no bar end plugs is not trendy nor is it cool!
    "The Flying Scot"
    Commute - Boardman CXR 9.4 Di2
    Sunday Best - Canyon Ultimate SLX Disc w/ DuraAce Di2
  • mtb-idle
    mtb-idle Posts: 2,179
    edited December 2019
    cjcp said:

Am finding CS3 a bit of a mixed bag.

Welcome to the jungle...

It could be worse, we could all be ABFG's favourite douche's buying indoor specific cycle kit to wear whilst using our interactive indoor pedalling platforms of choice.

What a time to be alive :/
    FCN = 4
  • wolfsbane2k
    wolfsbane2k Posts: 3,056
    Lost to an well ridden eMTB this morning on an uphill stint - ah well.

Almost wore my soft shell - to the point that I'd actually put it on, walked out the door, and quickly changed my mind, as it was only -2, and little to no windchill.

Swapped to a LS base layer and my normal LS jersey, with a double necky doo-dah thing ,which was absolutely spot on.
    Intent on Cycling Commuting on a budget, but keep on breaking/crashing/finding nice stuff to buy.
    Bike 1 (Broken) - Bike 2(Borked) - Bike 3(broken spokes) - Bike 4( Needs Work) - Bike 5 (in bits) - Bike 6* ...
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    Today on yet another non commute ride in the freezing cold I couldnt stop thinking about just how good commuting by bike ready is, aside from the health benefits having to get somewhere by a set time, like the office or catching a train focuses your efforts which in turn acts as a goalpost, as fitness improves your door to door time comes down and moves the bar which keeps you honest, when just riding solo partially in winter in shite weather there's little to motivate.

Keep on commuting by bike folks.
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • So as predicted, cars driving down the bike lane on priory lane tonight.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345

So as predicted, cars driving down the bike lane on priory lane tonight.

There were some who looked as if they were on the cusp of doing it on the way home tonight (around 7.20pm), waiting for the all-clear / no bikes around.

FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • cjcp

cjcp said:

a manhole cover as you complete the sharp left turn after a short down-slope after that park (heading east), and some very impatient riding.

God yes, have had a few 'squeaky bum time' slides on that manhole cover after the park
    Not just me, then; a little reassuring in a way. But forcing us to the edge of the bike lane/road boundary really ain't a clever design.

And the back wheel has slid out a little on the ruts at the start of the bike, on the bend just after the lights as you head east.

Emergency evasive manoeuvres tonight to avoid a left-hook by some drop-kick in a white Merc turning left where he's not allowed to turn left, because he's a drop-kick. He was turning left down to Limehouse Tunnel after the actual left turning.

It's amazing how many people who love their cars are prepared to risk their precious cars being hit side-on by bikes and people.

So, yeah... CS3 is ace :)
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • cjcp
    mtb-idle said:

cjcp said:

Am finding CS3 a bit of a mixed bag.

Welcome to the jungle...

It could be worse, we could all be ABFG's favourite douche's buying indoor specific cycle kit to wear whilst using our interactive indoor pedalling platforms of choice.

What a time to be alive :/
    W.T.A.F?
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • cjcp said:

WFH yesterday, so the state of Priory Lane was a bit of a surprise this morning. The traffic made me chuckle: honestly, when are people going to learn that they need to find another way of getting to work or getting their kids to school?

Am finding CS3 a bit of a mixed bag. A combination of bike lane, blue paint on a pavement with tree roots trying to break through, pinch points, iffy junctions where cars chance it on red, and cyclists, e-scooters also chance it on red, a traffic light system at one junction which doesn't automatically assume bikes are there (you need to press the ped button), a couple of *very* dodgy low-level-but-solid-as-hell bollards as you switch from one side of the road to the other, a sketchy bit through a park, a manhole cover as you complete the sharp left turn after a short down-slope after that park (heading east), and some very impatient riding.

As for the road surface on the roundabout under Westferry Circus, I suspect there are secteurs of Paris-Roubaix which are a smoother ride.

Generally though, the new commute is ok.

You should try the rest of the cs3 going east. Puncture city plus slippy as hell in many sections when wet or cold (mushy leaves plus manhole covers on every corner...)

But it's pretty chilled out compared to east london roads in rush hour!!!
  • monkimark
    monkimark Posts: 1,508

To be fair, there are only 3 sets of 'road closed' signs. Easy to miss when you're busy tweeting about the traffic.
  • cjcp

cjcp said:

WFH yesterday, so the state of Priory Lane was a bit of a surprise this morning. The traffic made me chuckle: honestly, when are people going to learn that they need to find another way of getting to work or getting their kids to school?

Am finding CS3 a bit of a mixed bag. A combination of bike lane, blue paint on a pavement with tree roots trying to break through, pinch points, iffy junctions where cars chance it on red, and cyclists, e-scooters also chance it on red, a traffic light system at one junction which doesn't automatically assume bikes are there (you need to press the ped button), a couple of *very* dodgy low-level-but-solid-as-hell bollards as you switch from one side of the road to the other, a sketchy bit through a park, a manhole cover as you complete the sharp left turn after a short down-slope after that park (heading east), and some very impatient riding.

As for the road surface on the roundabout under Westferry Circus, I suspect there are secteurs of Paris-Roubaix which are a smoother ride.

Generally though, the new commute is ok.

You should try the rest of the cs3 going east. Puncture city plus slippy as hell in many sections when wet or cold (mushy leaves plus manhole covers on every corner...)

But it's pretty chilled out compared to east london roads in rush hour!!!

Wondered where that bit goes.

It's definitely better than the roads, so I suppose I shouldn't moan :)
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • cjcp
    monkimark said:

To be fair, there are only 3 sets of 'road closed' signs. Easy to miss when you're busy tweeting about the traffic.
    :D
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Where did everyone go? Judging by Strava and the total lack of any other cyclists it was only me & Rower out this morning! The grimness of the rain was somewhat offset by the cracking tailwind which meant i got close to my door to door pb.
  • hopkinb
    hopkinb Posts: 7,129
    I was out there Smokey, getting bl00dy wet again. Well, bottom half anyway. I really must buy some clip on mudguards, having a wet @rse and feet is no fun.
    I rode the tailwind today, having battered it all the way home last night with spinny singlespeed guy, neither of us willing to acknowledge the headwind, or the fact that we were both blowing out of our @rses at traffic lights.
  • kingstonian
    kingstonian Posts: 2,847
    The headwind last night was ridiculous when I was going through the park. Wasn't what the doctor ordered.

This morning was fairly chilled, the rain and it being a friday meant very few other bikes about.
  • Was out there too, after WFH yesterday. Good run - nice breeze on the back, only obstacle were the deer crossing the path after Ham Cross. Managed not to get a puncture today as well.
  • rower63
    I've perfected my all-wet garb. I don't mind wet legs and backside, but wet hands (if cold) and wet feet I hate. Thanks to JonGinge I got some of those £12 rubberized tight gaiters which fit over my GTX winter boot-cuffs, and over which my bib-longs go. My socks were still quite dry after 30km. I also have a Gore shake-dry jacket with extremely long arms, cuffing over a pair of thinnish Montane XC-ski/trekking gloves which are also completely waterproof. Was very smug when I dis-robed.
    Dolan Titanium ADX 2016
    Ridley Noah FAST 2013
  • Work do's, off site meetings and general logistics have seen me on SWT PT for three days and a bit of brommieing, god I need a bike commute again!
    If I know you, and I like you, you can borrow my bike box for £30 a week. PM for details.
  • mattsaw
    mattsaw Posts: 907

I have an Openreach van on camera doing it. How stupid to do it in a company liveried van?
    Bianchi C2C - Ritte Bosberg - Cervelo R3
    Strava
  • Where did everyone go? Judging by Strava and the total lack of any other cyclists it was only me & Rower out this morning! The grimness of the rain was somewhat offset by the cracking tailwind which meant i got close to my door to door pb.

Heading north I actually saw for my route quite a few others, didn’t run out of fingers but not a bad amount, including a E-bike that pulled away briefly from me at the lights, but with my pick up, which is quick and that tailwind and a good mile or so before any other need to slow/stop, I was long gone, mainly the tail wind, which kept me well above the legal cut off, with out it I’d had to really work at it rather than just enjoying the boost!
  • Back on it, nice and early with some good competition, all far too keen and though I doubted myself solid steady power got them all in the end.

If I know you, and I like you, you can borrow my bike box for £30 a week. PM for details.
  • monkimark
    monkimark Posts: 1,508
    edited December 2019
    That headwind was a bit of killer this morning and combined with the mild weather, I was sweating buckets on the way in. Hopefully it'll stay the same direction this afternoon and I can rig up a sail out of my unnecessary base layer for the way home.

Priory lane still closed but most people had managed to read the signs, just one lwb transit van attempting a 3 point turn.
  • rower63
    monkimark said:

...Priory lane still closed but most people had managed to read the signs, just one lwb transit van attempting a 3 point turn.

there was one very LWB van there when i went through at 0745ish, and it seemed stuck, with the driver standing outside scratching his head. And no shortage of drivers having a go past the initial barriers and signs to see if perhaps the signs were lying...
    Dolan Titanium ADX 2016
    Ridley Noah FAST 2013
  • london-red
    london-red Posts: 1,266
    rower63 said:

monkimark said:

...Priory lane still closed but most people had managed to read the signs, just one lwb transit van attempting a 3 point turn.

there was one very LWB van there when i went through at 0745ish, and it seemed stuck, with the driver standing outside scratching his head. And no shortage of drivers having a go past the initial barriers and signs to see if perhaps the signs were lying...
    His left front wheel had completely blown (wheel, not tyre) so he wasn't going anywhere too quickly...

This morning's wind was weird. All the indicators suggested tailwind, but it was definitely a headwind in places. Squally conditions I guess...
  • mtb-idle
    mtb-idle Posts: 2,179
    LWB?
    FCN = 4
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    mtb-idle said:

LWB?

Long wheel base
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame