The Irony Thread

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,249
    rjsterry said:

At least I'm not the only one.

If you haven't seriously considered taking the littl'un for a few laps of the block in the pram to get them off to sleep... at 4am, then you still have some way to go. 😀

Way ahead of that curve, hah!
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,199
    You learn: I want attention cry. I am sick cry. I am hungry cry etc Ignore the 'I want attention bawl'.

My two were sleeping right through bar one feed in the night within a few weeks.
    Instead of being on edge and listening for the middle of the night i'm hungry bawl and not really sleeping well, I would set the alarm for 2am. Wake them up, change nappy, strip them off a little (then the warm milk is comfort too) and then put them back to sleep.

I found it was better for me to wake up at 2am and feed them despite being at work all day. That meant that my OH had a good nights sleep and then when she was on her own all day, she had the energy to look after 1... then 2. I got a broken sleep but a scheduled broken sleep which was better than a concatenated one.

...and here's a tactic: we used to do a late late nappy change and feed. This often meant waking them up at 11pm ish and that sets them up for the next 3 hours.

Within 10 to 12 weeks, they were sleeping the night through.

No, I still maintain that the honeymoon is over when they start to move. I've nothing but lovely memories from their first 6 months. Then you need to anticipate everything and you need eyes on the back of your head.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    pinno said:

You learn: I want attention cry. I am sick cry. I am hungry cry etc Ignore the 'I want attention bawl'.

My two were sleeping right through bar one feed in the night within a few weeks.
    Instead of being on edge and listening for the middle of the night i'm hungry bawl and not really sleeping well, I would set the alarm for 2am. Wake them up, change nappy, strip them off a little (then the warm milk is comfort too) and then put them back to sleep.

I found it was better for me to wake up at 2am and feed them despite being at work all day. That meant that my OH had a good nights sleep and then when she was on her own all day, she had the energy to look after 1... then 2. I got a broken sleep but a scheduled broken sleep which was better than a concatenated one.

...and here's a tactic: we used to do a late late nappy change and feed. This often meant waking them up at 11pm ish and that sets them up for the next 3 hours.

Within 10 to 12 weeks, they were sleeping the night through.

No, I still maintain that the honeymoon is over when they start to move. I've nothing but lovely memories from their first 6 months. Then you need to anticipate everything and you need eyes on the back of your head.

The first 4 months was a doddle, then this 4 month sleep regression thing kicked in and since then nights have been terrible (apart from a handful when he will do 7 hours straight). There have been many nights when he literally wakes up every 20 or 30 minutes. He'll sleep now from about 7-11 ok, but then its waking up every couple of hours through till about 6. He just hates sleeping, it's the same story with napping during the day, he just fights sleep.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,513
    Two is not a very big sample size.
  • pinno
    elbowloh said:

pinno said:

The first 4 months was a doddle, then this 4 month sleep regression thing kicked in and since then nights have been terrible (apart from a handful when he will do 7 hours straight). There have been many nights when he literally wakes up every 20 or 30 minutes. He'll sleep now from about 7-11 ok, but then its waking up every couple of hours through till about 6. He just hates sleeping, it's the same story with napping during the day, he just fights sleep.
    Eeek. Is there any way to keep him awake/restrict sleep int he day time? Perhaps put him to bed later? He'll be grumpy to start with but that must drive you up the wall.
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    pinno said:

elbowloh said:

pinno said:

Eeek. Is there any way to keep him awake/restrict sleep int he day time? Perhaps put him to bed later? He'll be grumpy to start with but that must drive you up the wall.
    Well, thats the thing, he won't sleep in the day either. He'll nap for 30 mins max in the day, no more than 2 or 3 times a day.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,218

.. well, opinions are divided on controlled crying, but I can tell you that it works. I did have to physically prevent Mrs Bomp from going in and picking Bomp Jr up about an hour in on the first night we tried it, mind you.

Not great when you live in a semi-detached or terraced house though. I'd go nuts if a next door neighbour's child was left to cry themselves to sleep so was always reluctant to leave ours more than 5-10 minutes (even that feels like a lifetime).

With our first I used to have to put her in the car and drive for half an hour but with the second she slept 6 hours straight on her first night and other than when ill never gave us an issue afterwards.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,690
    I seem to have stumbled into mums&dads.net...
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    I would say it counts as proper irony that Mrs Bomp was still trying to get Bompette to go to sleep last night....

... after she posted on the family groupchat after 2am.

She is now a 20yo student who left home over 2 years ago.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    We had a few years of broken sleep - some nights he'd go through with just one wakeup - other nights he'd wake every hour or two ... he'd get naps in the day too ...

[smug mode on] last night - he slept for 12 hours - bar the 10pm up for a pee which we force him to do - usually needs it too.[smug mode off]

The "let them cry" when it's attention does work - it's hard to do though - having a camera in the room meant we could see what he was up to and having neighbours with hearing aids meant we didn't need to worry there either! ;)

The iRony - he doesn't like lots of noise and crying - from others ... ;)

[/dadsnet]
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,598
    Irony.
    People sending me to sleep by discussing lack of sleep. 😂
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,172

Brian, it's good to hear that not everyone who frequents Cake Stop is breeding :)
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • slowbike
    Stevo_666 said:

Brian, it's good to hear that not everyone who frequents Cake Stop is breeding :)
    Can't be breeding all the time - you need some time to ride your bike ;)
  • Stevo_666
    slowbike said:

Stevo_666 said:

People on here ride bikes?!
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • pinno
    Stevo_666 said:

slowbike said:

Stevo_666 said:

😲
  • Stevo_666
    Climate change protesters glueing themselves to the Lib Dems electric powered bus.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,249
    Stevo_666 said:

Climate change protesters glueing themselves to the Lib Dems electric powered bus.

You're implying the LDs are indeed a party with green credentials. Some of the campaigning is working then.
  • pblakeney
    The assumption that an electric powered bus is “green”.
    Where does the electricity come from?
    More inconvenient than irony though.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    pblakeney said:

I take your point but I am all for electric vehicles - yes currently (pun kind of intended!) the electricity comes from fossil fuel power stations (or at least most of it does) but it is possible to generate electricity without burning fossil fuels - wind, hydro, nuclear etc whereas it is very hard to get a petrol vehicle to move without emissions!

we need to embrace electric cars so the technology can get to a point where the ranges increase, charging times reduce and they become a more viable option so when the generating technology improves more and more electricity can come from cleaner sources and therefore car emissions will dramatically reduce.
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

You're implying the LDs are indeed a party with green credentials. Some of the campaigning is working then.
    More that they have a 'green' bus.
  • slowbike
    Stevo_666 said:

slowbike said:

Stevo_666 said:

Allegedly ... ;)
  • pblakeney

pblakeney said:

I take your point but I am all for electric vehicles - yes currently (pun kind of intended!) the electricity comes from fossil fuel power stations (or at least most of it does) but it is possible to generate electricity without burning fossil fuels - wind, hydro, nuclear etc whereas it is very hard to get a petrol vehicle to move without emissions!

we need to embrace electric cars so the technology can get to a point where the ranges increase, charging times reduce and they become a more viable option so when the generating technology improves more and more electricity can come from cleaner sources and therefore car emissions will dramatically reduce.
    True, but current ;) cars etc are not green. Especially if you consider whole life and manufacture.
    In the future maybe, but not yet.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • Longshot
    Longshot Posts: 940
    pblakeney said:

True, but current ;) cars etc are not green. Especially if you consider whole life and manufacture.

This is correct. Even a more proven 'green' technology like LED lights is not as straightforward as suggested. I get that the increased upfront costs results in lower emissions and, supposedly, costs over the lifespan of the lamps but, as I'm now having to get in an electrician to rewire new LEDs into my kitchen where 8/12 LEDs have failed after 5 years I would question the accuracy of that.

You can fool some of the people all of the time. Concentrate on those people.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,488
    There seems to be an urge to damn anything that isn't a perfect solution. Some improvement is better than no improvement.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • pblakeney
    rjsterry said:

There seems to be an urge to damn anything that isn't a perfect solution. Some improvement is better than no improvement.

Improvement is good.
    Self righteous pontificators not so much.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,488
    pblakeney said:

rjsterry said:

Improvement is good.
    Self righteous pontificators not so much.
    So all the hybrid buses and taxis are just virtue signalling? Self righteous pontificating is merely irritating whereas air pollution will actually shorten your life.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • chris_bass
    pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

so how do we get there, make cars that are better or as best we can do for now and improve the technology until we get there or just say sod it this isn't 100% green so lets just not bother?

we need people and companies to invest in these things so that the technology can develop.

same with solar panels and wind power etc
  • chris_bass
    back to irony

Brexit MEPs leaving the Brexit party so that Brexit can happen!
  • pblakeney
    People blowing hot air on saving the planet when they could keep quiet and save the planet. 😉
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • rjsterry said:

This.

There is also a tenancy to mumble about life cycle environmental impact, without necessarily knowing what assumptions have been made to give you the life cycle impact.

IIRC, the Co2 impact per mile of a small internal combustion engine could be made to be about the same as an electric car, so long as you assumed the grid was fairly dirty.

But that ignores that electric cars don't spew nox sox and particulates around at pedestrians.

Of course then I'm ignoring that a dirty power station also does the same (although they can be fitted with scrubbers, but then that makes them less thermally efficient...)

That's before we get onto manufacturing either car.