What is the length of your daily cycle commute?

Longshot
Longshot Posts: 940
edited December 2019 in Commuting general
I searched but this doesn't seem to have been the specific topic of a thread for ten years.

I'm trying to figure out if I'm being really lazy or not, so, how far is your daily commute by bike?
You can fool some of the people all of the time. Concentrate on those people.

Comments

• asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    edited December 2019
    65km round trip. Not many hills, I think it's 200m of climbing all in; it mainly follows the river and they don't do much in the way of uphill.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    edited December 2019
    10 miles each way - used to do it daily - life has changed - I don't get to do it daily now.
    Oh - it's 500' climbing each way.

When I had/have time, I change the route to make it hillier and/or longer - iirc, the longest commute home was 35 miles.
  • figbat
    figbat Posts: 680
    I don't do it daily, but if and when i do cycle to work it is:

12 miles each way if going the most direct route, which needs a MTB or gravel bike
    Around 18 miles each way by road, taking the safest route that is longer but avoids a (IMO) dangerous road.

Often the ride home is longer though, as I add extra loops to get the miles and enjoy the ride.
    Cube Reaction GTC Pro 29 for the lumpy stuff
    Cannondale Synapse alloy with 'guards for the winter roads
    Fuji Altamira 2.7 for the summer roads
    Trek 830 Mountain Track frame turned into a gravel bike - for anywhere & everywhere
  • davep1
    davep1 Posts: 836
    I don't ride every day either; for me it becomes a chore and takes the fun out of it if I go every day, especially at this time of year with triple the amount of clothes and trying to remember to keep everything charged.
    My shortest road route is 7 miles, but it is a horrible road which I avoid if at all possible. The next best option is around 10 miles, some of which are on proper country lanes. These are gorgeous in the summer or when it is dry, but at the moment and after rain, they are pretty crappy. They're also narrow, I got forced off the road by a car coming the other way that didn't give me any room a month ago, had a bad crash.
    In winter I rarely commute over an hour, but in the summer I either get up early or come home late and make it more of an adventure.
    I'm lucky in that I live 5 minutes from the South Downs Way, so can commute via mtb. This is always a minimum of an hour, the slower average speed sees to that. It's also a lot more climbing, but I often go ridiculous routes to get extra climbs in. I have done 500m on the way in to work, but the return is always more about survival.
  • ~9 miles per day, ~500' of climbing, longer route on way home to avoid busy roads mid afternoon which are tolerable 0600-0640.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • About 9 miles each way which I do on my old single speed.
    As I ride from South London to Croydon in the spring/summer I try to incorporate some of the local country lanes in my ride into work as you can't beat grabbing some scenic sunrise on The Ridge.
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,141
    If I go the whole way, 21 miles each way unless I take a detour. Used to do that 2/3 times a week but now it's more like 2/3 times a year.
    On the rare occasion I cycle in now it's about 11 miles each way, or 7 if I'm late and need to go the short way down the main road.
  • kingstonian
    kingstonian Posts: 2,847
    48km round trip
  • wolfsbane2k
    wolfsbane2k Posts: 3,056
    asprilla said:

65km round trip. Not many hills, I think it's 200m of climbing all in; it mainly follows the river and they don't do much in the way of uphill.

fark.

Mine's 12km each way, takes ~40 mins in, 30 mins home.

it's worth remembering Marchetti's constant
    "Marchetti's constant is the average time spent by a person for commuting each day, which is approximately one hour"
    Intent on Cycling Commuting on a budget, but keep on breaking/crashing/finding nice stuff to buy.
    Bike 1 (Broken) - Bike 2(Borked) - Bike 3(broken spokes) - Bike 4( Needs Work) - Bike 5 (in bits) - Bike 6* ...
  • Used to be 39 km round trip... now it's only 14 :)
    It's enough to keep decent fitness and I don't seem to get as many colds as I did. When the weather is passable, I tend to take a longer way back
    left the forum March 2023
  • monkimark
    monkimark Posts: 1,507
    just a smidge under 30km each way with 180metres ish of hills but I only do it 2 or 3 times a week because it takes twice as long as the motorbike and I sometimes need to be back in time to collect the kids from school and stuff.
  • photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,415
    My wife does 27miles (there and back) three days a week, sometimes four. I'm quite envious of her commute as it is much longer and much flatter than mine. Her fitness is very good as a result. I make mine up by doing 50/60 miles on Sundays but she still rides more than me.

Mine is just over 4 miles (one way) and 615 feet of climbing but in the summer I take it out to about 8-10 miles and 1200 feet. In this weather and time of year it is there and back as quick as possible so it involves mostly busy urban roads, but the traffic is slow so I don't mind.

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• Mine is just over 4 miles (one way) and 615 feet of climbing .

What??? That's the kind of climbing per mile you get when riding in the Dolomites

• slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498

Mine is just over 4 miles (one way) and 615 feet of climbing .

What??? That's the kind of climbing per mile you get when riding in the Dolomites

yer - but think of the return leg ...
  • 45 miles round trip,only 2 or 3 times a week this time of year.
  • N0bodyOfTheGoat
    N0bodyOfTheGoat Posts: 5,842
    edited December 2019

Photonic69 could live near Petersfield and commute to Hawkley up Bell Hill cat3 hill, or live near Morestead Rd on the edge of Winchester and head along ~50% of the Morestead/Belmore/Stakes/Corhampton Lane (same road changes name) "rollercoaster."

Imagine if you lived near Prestatyn train station and commuted to Gwaenysgor up Fforddlas and Hillside.. ~0.9 miles and 600'. :open_mouth::lol:
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • hopkinb
    hopkinb Posts: 7,129
    15.6km, 17.9 km or 27.9 km are my main routes, so minimum of 31km per day. At this time of the year, the longer route is rarely used. I have been known to ride >60km to work, and I did 80km on the way back once.
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    round trip of 48km give or take: extended in the Summer, sometimes shortened in the Winter
  • photonic69

Haha! If only! My commute is 3/4 flat and 1/4 going up a hill that averages 9% for over a mile! Certainly warms me up on these recent mornings.

• photonic69
    slowbike said:

yer - but think of the return leg ...

Exactly! My return home is almost half the time of my commute to work! 1/4 of the way freewheeling! The rest is flat with a couple of little rises.

• timothyw
    timothyw Posts: 2,482
    14 miles each way daily so 140 miles a week - around an hour door to door.

Very rare that I get the train in, and doing so involves over 3 miles of walking so isn't much of a rest.
  • photonic69

Photonic69 could live near Petersfield and commute to Hawkley up Bell Hill cat3 hill, or live near Morestead Rd on the edge of Winchester and head along ~50% of the Morestead/Belmore/Stakes/Corhampton Lane (same road changes name) "rollercoaster."

Imagine if you lived near Prestatyn train station and commuted to Gwaenysgor up Fforddlas and Hillside.. ~0.9 miles and 600'. :open_mouth::lol:

Nah! Down South on the edge of the Cotsworlds in a small city ;)

• joe2019
    joe2019 Posts: 1,338
    Half a mile with 400 feet of elevation

• Nah! Down South on the edge of the Cotsworlds in a small city ;)

Bath?
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440

asprilla said:

fark.

Mine's 12km each way, takes ~40 mins in, 30 mins home.

it's worth remembering Marchetti's constant
    "Marchetti's constant is the average time spent by a person for commuting each day, which is approximately one hour"
    Closer to three hours for me, once you take into account all the showering and faffing about. If I took public transport it would be about the same; 15 minute walk to the station, 25 minute train to Waterloo and then either walk to St Pauls or queue for the Waterloo & City Line. add on 10 minutes for buying tickets and waiting on platforms.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • photonic69

Nah! Down South on the edge of the Cotsworlds in a small city ;)

Bath?
    It is a hilly city!

• 2016-2018
    14.6miles (50min) each way, 750-850ft elevation gain (three big hills), 4x week.

This year (change of job)
    2.6miles (12min) each way, 260ft elevation gain (one big hill!), to train station 4x week.
    20miles (70min) each way (whole way to work by bike), 1100ft elevation gain. 1x week, definitely unfeasible to do daily.

Next year (moving home)
    10miles (guessing 35min) each way, 760ft elevation gain, 1x week to one work site
    16miles (guessing 60min) each way, 1100ft elevation gain, 4x week.

I used to have 80s 5 speed touring bike but it got converted to SS very quickly due to wear & tear and lack of time for constant maintenance!

My rule of thumb is I'm happy to cycle upto 60min each way. Any longer, I find it tough to sustain daily due to lack of recovery time.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    17 miles each way, but can easily extend to 20 with a quick half loop in Richmond Park.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,001
    edited December 2019
    22km 400m climbing per day, 5days a week.
    Possibly to the same destination as photonic.
    - edit : Ah yes, I vaguely know him.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    7 miles each way with circa 300 feet of climbing each way (commute start and finish are at the same altitude but there is a dip in the middle).

Do it most days and it keeps me fit enough for my MTBing.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.