type 2 diabetic

Help, i have recently discovered im type 2 diabetic, i have found that my glucose reading always rises after cycling. I have avoided taking gels during the rides . I thought it would have went down. Are there any type 2 diabetics that can give me guidance on how to cycle eg slow pace or Hiit , and aso any guidance on fueling on long cycle trip. Im not on any diabetic medication

Comments

• fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    https://www.teamnovonordisk.com/

Resources here to help you.
  • Many thanks, but they appear to be type 1 diabetic
  • kingrollo
    kingrollo Posts: 3,198
    If you are not on any medication - you need to find out why - if it is because you are only borderline then you may be able to reverse diabetes by diet and exercise medication. You need some professional health care advice - in in the interim I would look at managing your diabetes - once you know what you are dealing with - you can start to think about cycling.
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    edited December 2019
    I'm Type2. Diagnosed in February although I appear to had the condition for a number of years (possibly around 5) without realising it. It was only when I was off the bike for an extended period that I started showing symptoms that led to me getting tested.

I'm on 40mg Gliclazide and 160mg of Metformin daily and weigh 67kg at 178cm tall. I'm generally between 4.5mmol/L and 8mmol/L although a spike can double that. When first diagnosed I was around 24mmol/L.

First thing I'll say is that I can't give you any magic bullet as everyone's blood sugar reactions are different. I found that constant testing and experimentation is the key. When first diagnosed I was pricking my fingers up to 10 times a day and seeing what impact various foods and exercise have on me. Sometimes I still find my reactions to stuff unexpected even when following a pattern I've had no problem with before.

My medication and changes in diet are sufficient to control it if I exercise at the levels I do, but if I stop exercising I have to be more extreme in my diet or increase my meds.

More than happy to answer any questions if I can.

Based on what you've said, and this is pure speculation, your body is flooding your blood stream with glucose when you are exercising, but your muscles aren't taking it onboard. This is fairly standard for T2. I used to bonk all the time despite eating when riding.

Having changed a lot of my diet and moved onto medication I still occasionally have gels but I'm more likely to get by on Soreen as the fibre means the it's absorbed slower by your gut.

Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • asprilla
    kingrollo said:

if it is because you are only borderline then you may be able to reverse diabetes by diet and exercise medication.

I'm being pedantic, but don't say 'reverse'. Diabetes can't be 'reversed', it can only be managed. People can manage it without medication, but that doesn't mean they are cured.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • Thanks for all your help. Spoke to diabetic dietitian, couldn't help, regarding fueling for cycling. Official diabetic sites no help regarding latter.
  • Thanks for all your help. Spoke to diabetic dietitian, couldn't help, regarding fueling for cycling. Official diabetic sites no help regarding latter.
  • kingrollo said:

If you are not on any medication - you need to find out why - if it is because you are only borderline then you may be able to reverse diabetes by diet and exercise medication. You need some professional health care advice - in in the interim I would look at managing your diabetes - once you know what you are dealing with - you can start to think about cycling.

Thanks, neither my diabetic nurse and diabetic dietitian could answer me on latter, perhaps medication is needed. It appears glucose us released whilst cycling, but it is not getting to muscle cells
  • asprilla said:

I'm Type2. Diagnosed in February although I appear to had the condition for a number of years (possibly around 5) without realising it. It was only when I was off the bike for an extended period that I started showing symptoms that led to me getting tested.

I'm on 40mg Gliclazide and 160mg of Metformin daily and weigh 67kg at 178cm tall. I'm generally between 4.5mmol/L and 8mmol/L although a spike can double that. When first diagnosed I was around 24mmol/L.

First thing I'll say is that I can't give you any magic bullet as everyone's blood sugar reactions are different. I found that constant testing and experimentation is the key. When first diagnosed I was pricking my fingers up to 10 times a day and seeing what impact various foods and exercise have on me. Sometimes I still find my reactions to stuff unexpected even when following a pattern I've had no problem with before.

My medication and changes in diet are sufficient to control it if I exercise at the levels I do, but if I stop exercising I have to be more extreme in my diet or increase my meds.

More than happy to answer any questions if I can.

Based on what you've said, and this is pure speculation, your body is flooding your blood stream with glucose when you are exercising, but your muscles aren't taking it onboard. This is fairly standard for T2. I used to bonk all the time despite eating when riding.

Having changed a lot of my diet and moved onto medication I still occasionally have gels but I'm more likely to get by on Soreen as the fibre means the it's absorbed slower by your gut.

Thanks, for insight, both my diabetic nurse and diabetic dietitian knew about t2 and consequences of exercise on blood sugars, it does look like sugars not getting to muscles,. Many thanks
  • asprilla
    In most cases T2 is assumed to be as a result of poor diet and lack of exercise, consequently I get advice like 'have you tried reducing your carbs, or adding to 30 minute walk to your day' before I explain that I spend 3hrs a day on the bike and also swim and run, basically exercise every day.

I'd ask specifically why you aren't being prescribed medication. Are you in the UK, as diabetes is considered a critical condition and so if you fill out an exemption form with your GP then all (not just your diabetes meds) prescriptions are free for you.

Don't rely exclusively on your diabetes nurse but speak to your GP as well. My nurse has given me conflicting information about whether I should be testing my blood sugar or not and keeps telling me to get more exercise. The nurse will also only look at managing the condition and won't really look at causes or other options. I'm currently trying to get my GP to refer to to an endocrinologist to see if we can understand what caused my diabetes.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    I'm type 2. I do a blood stick every day. If I start getting above 140 I redouble my efforts at trying to watch my diet. I take oral meds and so far so good. Find a good doctor and have him check your A1C(with blood work)every three or for months. Don't mess with this stuff. Quit worrying about your cycling and find out how to fight this. Cycling will always be there.
  • mrfpb
    mrfpb Posts: 4,569
    Hers's an interesting article on diabetes in endurance athletes. Not conclusive, but it's good to know it's on the research radar if only in a small way.

https://www.outsideonline.com/2201466/are-endurance-athletes-more-susceptible-getting-diabetes
  • parmos
    parmos Posts: 100
    my old fella is recovering from having half is big toe chopped off 3 weeks ago certainly hit home.