Suggestions for decent lights

Hi,

I'm wanting to mix the commute up a bit and have the option to ride 3/4's of my route on a canal tow path. Any suggestions for a new front light? Current light isn't really powerful enough.

Comments

• mrdsgs
    mrdsgs Posts: 337
    exposure strada
    Colnago Addict!
  • oxoman said:

Exposure joystick mk13 1000 lumens currently on offer just under £80

Do you have a link? Cheapest I've seen is £90
  • How about the Ravemen lights

https://www.tredz.co.uk/.Ravemen-PR900-USB-Rechargeable-DuaLens-Front-Light-with-Remote_107733.htm

Get very good reviews and I was tempted by this one to see what the fuss is about.

• timothyw
    timothyw Posts: 2,482
    This is decent, if you aren't that bothered about dazzling people coming towards you:
    https://www.halfords.com/cycling/bike-lights/bike-lights/bikehut-1000-lumen-front-bike-light?_br_psugg_q=bikehut+lights

If you are bothered about dazzling people, I'd suggest this one:
    https://www.torchy.co.uk/product/fluxient-elite-s3-700-lumen-bike-light/
    use code 'ukvapers' to save £6.
  • cryoman1965
    cryoman1965 Posts: 183
    edited November 2019
    I have one of these which have 3 levels of brightness so you can change the illumination to suit the surroundings.
    Bright
    Very bright
    And Blinding.
    All controlled by a push button on the rear of the light.

I use the Blinding to cycle on gravel tracks in the New Forest at night. It illuminates very well.

https://rover.ebay.co.uk/rover/0/0/99?loc=https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/1445040046?iid=153706976427

N
  • froze
    froze Posts: 203
    You don't need the Exposure lights unless you have a huge wad of cash that you just need to waste, you can get similar performance from lights half the price and they will last a very long time, and Exposure has horrible customer service.

Here is an interesting comparison site of many lights, try to find something bright for a lower cost. The Ravemen PR1600 is a very good light for the money as is the Cateye Volt 1600 which appears to be brighter than the Ravemen on that site, and according to what I've read the Cateye Volt 1600 will run about a half hour longer on high then the Ravemen. The Cateye Volt 1600 has a user replaceable battery, the Ravemen PR1600 does not unless your willing to take it apart unsolder the wires to the batteries, find replacement batteries and solder the wires back and put the light back together...a wee bit of a hassle. So overall I like the Cateye Volt 1600 better.

Now having said that, if you are riding on roads and not off road on technical trails I think 1600 lumens is overkill, save some money and get the next level down, no more than 1000 and no less than 800 lumens is plenty. If you go with Cateye the have a new model called the AMPP800 and they have the Volt 800, after looking at their comparisons the Volt 800 has a slightly longer beam and slightly less wider beam then the AMPP800, and the Volt 800 battery lasts from a half an hour longer on high, to 1 1/2 hours longer on medium, to 4 hours longer on low...it's a no brainer, the Volt 800 is the better light of the two.

I have two lights, my least capable light in term of lumens is only 400, but that Lezyne Micro XL 400 I could use by itself as a main light and not be worried about not seeing stuff on the road, my other light is a Philips Saferide 80 which is equivalent to lights putting out around a 1000 lumens and I rarely run that light on high even on pitch dark roads. The higher lumens is really only necessary if it's pitch dark and raining. I would have preferred if my Philips had a middle setting but it doesn't so I use it mostly on low, combined with the Lezyne on my helmet I have no visual problems. So that's my opinion about the lumen thing. One other thing to keep in mind concerning road bikes, a LED motorcycle headlight on low puts out 700 lumens and that motorcycle will be going a lot faster with the low beams on then a bike will, so do you really need something that cranks out 1600 lumens? NO! Even on high beam a led MC headlight puts out 1200 lumens! (cars put out the same lumens but use two headlights so I used the MC example since they use just one) Are you seeing the bigger picture now? A bicycle simply does not need anything over 1,000 lumens. Be logical when buying a light, light manufactures want your money and they know people think they need the brightest light on earth.

• andyeb
    andyeb Posts: 407
    I’ve been really impressed with the Hope R4+ I got recently - currently 20% off at Evans: https://www.evanscycles.com/hope-r4-led-vision-front-light-and-standard-4-cell-battery-2000-lumen-EV252674

Although perhaps intended for MTB use, I find it works very on unlit roads.
  • arthur_scrimshaw
    arthur_scrimshaw Posts: 2,596
    edited December 2019
    froze said:

You don't need the Exposure lights unless you have a huge wad of cash that you just need to waste, you can get similar performance from lights half the price and they will last a very long time, and Exposure has horrible customer service.

Snip opinionated drivel

To balance the discussion, I've had great customer service from Exposure, even gave me a loaner when my light went in for some work. I agree they are top end price wise but my Strada is still going strong after five years being used all through the winter on my commute and on FNRttC runs. It's 'only' 800 lumens although I rarely feel the need for more and the battery life is still great.
  • Magicshine MJ900 or similar, pretty powerful on highest setting I rarely use, plus the non-focussed beam may be an asset off-road (on tarmac I have to point the beam focus <5m in front of bike).
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    One thought on commuting lights is side visibility - I was thinking this as I rode home last night - I turned on my Bikehut 1600 light (on lower power) as it was foggy and that cast a shadow to the left and right of me - being seen from the side is quite important - not that I needed to worry with my ProVis jacket and 3 back lights which must've looked like a sunset from a distance ;)