2020 Tour of Flanders - Spectating

I've found some really useful posts on here from previous years but would appreciate input that will help me for next year.
My father-in-law and I are heading to watch Flanders next year, travelling on the Friday and returning on the Sunday so we have time either side.
Staying in Ghent. Thinking is to probably centre around Kwaremont for the day but might take a jaunt to the Paterberg ? Is it worth heading to either the start in Antwerp or Oudenaarde prior to moving on to Kwaremont ? I understand there are shuttle buses from Oudenaarde to some of the main spectating points.
I've considered an organised package that takes us from Ghent to Oudenaarde and then, I think utilising the free buses, to/from Kwaremont, before taking us back from Oudenaarde to Ghent.

We went about 10 years ago and hired a car, driving ourselves to the start, Kwaremont and Gerardsbergen but things seem busier now, and harder to jump from place to place. I unsure how easy a DIY approach is or is it worth paying someone to sort the transport side of things ?
Thanks in advance.

Comments

• ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    Bear in mind the course is different now....

I would say take (or hire) the smallest car and do it yourself. If not however - and it's a nice day - get to the Oude Kwaremont earlier, find a spot outside the paid for bits (but ideally close enough to watch any entertainment, and within sight of a big screen.

It slightly depends on how many beers you sample the night before ;)
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • andyrr
    andyrr Posts: 1,819
    Last time we went I don't recall there being shuttle buses but we had a small hire car so had no need for them anyway. No fancy VIP areas on the Kwaremont either - how times have changed !
    Having a car would certainly have potential benefits but a) mean no drinking for me on the day as I would be the driver b) Increase costs although maybe not a lot as we'd not have other transport costs c) Maybe not allow us, as previous trip, access to multiple locations as traffic control is greater now.
  • I didn't see any shuttle busses advertised in 2018 when I was there. We stayed in Brakel and the public transport was non-existant on the Sunday. We made it to the koppenberg about 2hr after leaving our B&B. There was a big screen half way up and a bar, toilets etc. We walked back into the square at oudenaard afterwards and went around several of the pubs.. again on the evening, we were struggling to get back to Brakel as it was after 11pm. We managed to pay a random man we flagged over 20 euro to drop us off. It will be much easier if you drive.
  • I didn't see any shuttle busses advertised in 2018 when I was there. We stayed in Brakel and the public transport was non-existant on the Sunday. We made it to the koppenberg about 2hr after leaving our B&B. There was a big screen half way up and a bar, toilets etc. We walked back into the square at oudenaard afterwards and went around several of the pubs.. again on the evening, we were struggling to get back to Brakel as it was after 11pm. We managed to pay a random man we flagged over 20 euro to drop us off. It will be much easier if you drive.
  • mtb-idle
    mtb-idle Posts: 2,179
    I went earlier this year. There was at least one shuttle bus that we got from the town centre up to the top of the Kwaremont. Got a ringside seat and stayed there drinking all day.

FCN = 4
  • 2017. Parked at railway station in Oudenaarde. Picked up one of the first few shuttles to Kwaremont from a stop round the back of the station. Few minutes walk. Arrived in time to get a good spot on the climb and accessible to bar/toilet. Went to bar after final passage to watch finish, then down to shuttle pickup. Big crowds, pretty chaotic and a scramble. No organised queues. Several destinations so ensure on right shuttle.

• durhamwasp
    durhamwasp Posts: 1,247
    Shuttle bus from Oudenaarde to the Kwaremont, base yourself there. Paterberg is a 30min walk (or shorter cycle) if you want to make your way there for the final ascent.
    http://www.snookcycling.wordpress.com - Reports on Cingles du Mont Ventoux, Alpe D'Huez, Galibier, Izoard, Tourmalet, Paris-Roubaix Sportive & Tour of Flanders Sportive, Amstel Gold Xperience, Vosges, C2C, WOTR routes....
  • andyrr
    andyrr Posts: 1,819
    Thanks for the latest comments - changes in the new style forum not encouraging me to check in on my post. I'll spend a bit more time trying to suss out a plan for the race.