Increasing FTP

2»

Comments

• daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,538
    edited December 2019
    Am nicely stuck into base - bit of a relief having the less intense steady efforts to kick off with, and am settling in nicely.

Also brought some weights out, trying some squats and romanian ( ? ) lifts as well to help with leg strength - will see if that yields anything over the winter.
    Not going nuts with the amount of weight, just keeping it simple to see if I can do it regularly, and for it not to take up too much time either, as the longer it takes, the less likely I am to be able to shoehorn it in.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    Started my December base plan today, I have a week off so I'm aiming for a 100k per day, low effort and split between turbo and outside, I did a whole ride today in the inner ring and it wasnt as boring as I'd expected, slow mind you.

Tomorrow is a three part day, another inner ring, low tempo turbo session and a brisk two up ride.
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    I have a stinking cold, fortunately coinciding with the recovery week in the TR plan.

Had a really unhealthy week last week between work trips and social events. So my weight loss is completely out of the window, unfortunately.
  • itboffin
    Great I have a week off to focus on this plan and something isnt right, started out this afternoon and boom! nothing, completely weak and unable to get any speed, HR super low for me.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • daniel_b
    edited December 2019
    Oh dear chaps, sounds like you may be lurgied up ITB?

There is loads of it about at work, so I am trying to wfh and arm up on vitamins to try and avoid it.
    Two colleagues have been ill, one had a mild case of pneumonia, and my manager has ia bad cold currently as well.......
    90 minute session this morning was fairly tough, 85-90% of FTP, in 10 minute blocks.

Did start to feel a bit off yesterday, but have gotten away with it so far - have an hour session scheduled for the morning.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    Yeah my office is like a doctor's waiting room at the moment.

I did one of the recovery spins (Pettit) last night at 5% reduction and it was fairly unpleasant, mostly because I couldn't stop it raining from my nose... It didn't feel too hard though and I did feel better afterwards.
  • daniel_b
    I have found that the more genteel workouts, especially if necessary dropped by 5-10% do seem to help clear me out when I am ill.

My theory, with no base (Other than my personal experience) at all, is that it gets fresh air through your lungs at a slightly inflated rate which speeds up recovery.

A near ftp effort, or one with sprints in, would not lead to a good outcome I believe.

Hope you both feel better soon.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • itboffin
    It was my first thought Dan but no I'm pretty sure its my recent diet switch to all vegi was perhaps not the best timing for a stint of endurance base training, I have a rack of ribs waiting for tomorrow and some chips, oh lordy i cant wait.

Best that's me done with outside rides for now, its so cold you have to wrapped up like a delicious burrito but then sweat to death followed by freezing in your own sweaty clothes, every climb is a slog

Turbo for me
  • dannbodge
    dannbodge Posts: 1,152
    Luckily I've not had a bad spell of being ill this year. Staying active always helps though.

I've just come off a "rest" week on my plan. Mostly low intensity spinny workouts (dull AF) but back onto proper sessions now. Last night was 300w (+/-10%) for 4 mins x 5 intervals.

Good news is that my HR was only at my threshold for those efforts, so my hopes of getting my FTP up to 300w is looking possible....I hope