wednesday is homeomorphic to a mince pie

'ning

don't think there'll be a repeat of the last couple of days' sun

coffee etc., subvert, overthrow, bail
my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny

Comments

• lincolndave
    lincolndave Posts: 9,441
    Morning, milder again ,dog walked , Jane asked if I could get the decorations down, but it’s also the oldies Wednesday 50 ride,so I will be getting the bike out once she’s gone to work
    Have a good day
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,831
    Haven’t had a mince pie yet! Hybrid commute is going to wake me up this morning. Later is cross fit, should really just go to the pub like last night (but perhaps not drink water)
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,121
    sungod said:

'ning

don't think there'll be a repeat of the last couple of days' sun

coffee etc., subvert, overthrow, bail

Loads of sunshine here, it's a beautiful morning, just a bit crunchy (or rock solid underfoot).
    Might go out and do some more inspecting once it warms up enough not to get frostbite.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,195
    Wet, windy and mild here. Weather's definitely taken a dive.

Must seek bigger chainsaw.

Laters.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • Morning. lovely sunshine here, rode yesterday so surf today.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,252
    tlw1 said:

Haven’t had a mince pie yet! Hybrid commute is going to wake me up this morning. Later is cross fit, should really just go to the pub like last night (but perhaps not drink water)

You drank water? In a pub?
    This new forum set up really has screwed things up.
    I recommend eating a box of mince pies to wash them down a pint of vodka with a lemonade top.
    The lemonade top is only because you've turned into a bit of a lightweight recently.
  • haydenm
    haydenm Posts: 2,997
    Morning, more slavery, tired and headachey. Booked train for Birmingham next week and ordered some 11 speed shifters. I managed to fit 2.25 650b mtb tyres into the Croix de fer last night so I'm considering actually riding it like that...
  • hopkinb
    hopkinb Posts: 7,129
    Blinking cleaners have had my mince pies away on their toes. We have a mouse problem, so any food left out gets binned. I forgot to put the pies in our biscuit tin, so they are gone. :'( My own fault, but no easier to take.

Cheering myself up by booking warmer climes for May half term with mini & my mum. Mrs H3 is whisking mini off to Corfu at Easter, when I can't go due to year end commitments.

Hotel in a scenic spot by the beach in southern Spain is current favourite, closer to Almeria than Malaga, though I can get to the land of the tabby for a similar sort of price, albeit self catering at the jolly dinosaur, rather than in a hotel. Decisions decisions.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,161
    Is it a criminal offence not to be that fussed about mince pies on here? :) I don't mind them with a good helping of cream mind, but not mad about them.

Tired this morning but got a good Full English at an advisors breakfast 'round table' event which has set me up nicely for the day. Was slightly late leaving as junior dog got hold of an ankle sock and we had to get it off him in case he tried to swallow it, cue chase round the living room. Stressbag got bitten in the process and was not happy.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • hopkinb
    Stevo_666 said:

Is it a criminal offence not to be that fussed about mince pies on here? :) I don't mind them with a good helping of cream mind, but not mad about them.

Burn him. :D

• haydenm
    I hate them. Dried fruit. Urgh.
  • hopkinb
    haydenm said:

I hate them. Dried fruit. Urgh.

Heretic.
    Burn him too. >:)
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,432
    edited December 2019
    in case it had slipped your minds, may i refer you to the gentleman's magazine of 1773, wherein mr bavius discusses the virtues of the christmas pye and identifies certain of it's detractors

you'll need to open it in a new tab/window as the crappy forum software shrinks it

for more...
    https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=mdp.39015016468293&view=1up&seq=636&size=125
  • Stevo_666
    I'm happy to leave some of you lot to eat all the pies ;)
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,432
    i anticipated this issue, hence the link goes to the zoomable source document
  • Surfed, not great but OK.

Just watched new trailer for No Time to Die, the new Bond film out next year.
    Looks fantastic! Really sorry it's Daniel Craigs last outing as 007, he's been superb. The best in my opinion.
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,121
    oxoman said:

Sungod, if they can't read it as it is a visit to specsavers is required.

Or maybe a few too many alcohol infused mince pies.
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    I like mince pies (too much) so Ive not eaten any yet as Im trying to lose weight, spent most of the morning ride cursing why motorists didnt seem prepared to give me no more than an arm lengths gap
  • hopkinb
    If you're riding twice every day awavey, you can scoff at least 2 mince pies, one for each journey. At least that's what I tell myself as I let the belt out a notch... ;)
  • hopkinb
    sungod said:

in case it had slipped your minds, may i refer you to the gentleman's magazine of 1773, wherein mr bavius discusses the virtues of the christmas pye and identifies certain of it's detractors

you'll need to open it in a new tab/window as the crappy forum software shrinks it

for more...
    https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=mdp.39015016468293&view=1up&seq=636&size=125

This, I enjoyed. You just don't get this sort of exposition on the Christmas Pye in online newspaper BTL comments. Marvellous.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,608
    Spoufes! What the suck if thif fhing with 'f's and 's'f? 😳
  • hopkinb
    orraloon said:

Spoufes! What the suck if thif fhing with 'f's and 's'f? 😳

:D
  • hopkinb
    Holiday booked for May bank holiday week. The lure of the tabby was strong, but the lure of cheaper flights and no cleaning/cooking was stronger. New bit of Spain for me too. I wonder how the jamón will be.
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,831

tlw1 said:

It was a new pub opening in the next village, so decided to stand out from the crowd and not drink drive
  • Stevo_666

tlw1 said:

I recommend eating a box of mince pies to wash them down a pint of vodka with a lemonade top.
    The lemonade top is only because you've turned into a bit of a lightweight recently.
    To be fair, cider is over 90% water.
  • pinno
    hopkinb said:

Holiday booked for May bank holiday week. The lure of the tabby was strong, but the lure of cheaper flights and no cleaning/cooking was stronger. New bit of Spain for me too. I wonder how the jamón will be.

Which part of Spain?

• hopkinb
    Only across a bit from where I"ve been for the last couple of years. Eastern Andalucia. Mojácar.
  • pinno
    Do you not fancy the North West - San Sebastian, Navarre/Pyrenees/Basque region? You know - away form gringo tourist country.
  • hopkinb
    pinno said:

Do you not fancy the North West - San Sebastian, Navarre/Pyrenees/Basque region? You know - away form gringo tourist country.

Yep, but not with my 73 year old mother and 9 year old daughter, especially when I just fancy a bit of sunshine, some sherry and some ham.

Been to san seb, what with all the grub. Hardly off the beaten track.

Been to the French side of the pyrenees a few times - Roussillon and the SW Languedoc - my favourite part of the world - the wine, the food, the history. Unfortunately, this has now been deemed "boring" by all concerned.

My brother is going to Galicia somewhere at the same time as I head south - he likes a proper middle class holiday where it's cold, you get rained on, but there's no salmon pink Brits ordering a full English (with a litre of lager) in a regional accent while wearing football kit to sully your immersion in a different culture/enjoyment of pristine countryside. Whereas I'm a bit of a sucker for a sea view and 30 degrees of heat. You can still get away from the hordes if you have a car and are willing to mooch a bit.
  • haydenm
    A few of my OH's friends are from Galicia, looks like a cracking place. Need to weasel my way in for a cycling holiday...