LaPassione jackets? Quality, longevity, fit?

Hi!
I'm feeling quite tempted to treat myself to a yellow LaPassione jacket, given their 25% BF discount. I'd be using it on the commute rota with a dhb aeron full protection jacket. That'd be about 3h riding per week, while wearing a backpack, plus rarer 4h group rides.

Does anybody have experience with LP's quality, fit, and "long-lastingness"? I know daniel_b likes them, but I suspect his clothes rota is larger than mine. I've seen some comments on WW being unhappy about the durability of some jerseys, too. My Gabba & Perfetto are M, for comparison (chest 38", waist 32.5")

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,242
    Lovely kit. Big fan.

Fit is *tight* - more for the petite man (hence the Chasey love).

In order to be quite tight fitting it's fairly stretchy stuff, and I don't think it's super durable as a result. I wouldn't treat it much like commuter kit, but then it's my go-to "best" kit, so go figure.
  • Another big fan. I have an LP winter jacket which I think is the previous version of the current PSN winter jacket and it's very good quality. I've had it 2 years and use it a lot during the winter commuting 3/4 days a week and I've had no durability issues.
    'Hello to Jason Isaacs'
  • drhaggis
    drhaggis Posts: 1,150
    Order placed & fingers closed! Sizing says I'm an M...
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,538
    edited November 2019
    Sorry Dr H, not upto speed with the new forum yet so only just saw your post.

Is it this jacket: https://www.lapassione.cc/products/psn-winter-jacket-cytrus?variant=19679945064517

I am a big fan of LP, but so far their jerseys have not really fitted me quite right, though going from the reviews they do fit plenty of people really well.

I am a HUGE fan of their classic bib shorts, the pad being ever so slightly above for comfort (for me) the Progetto X2 pad, and a whisker less impressive than whatever Rapha use in the pro team II short.

The material on my shorts is very hard wearing, though weirdly one of them developed some piling on the seatpad, after a ride, but it never got any worse, and has not detracted from the performance at all.

If it is that jacket, I was sorely tempted, as I think it weights in after discount at a smidge over £100 ( ? ) and looks like it could be a very good buy - do come back to review please!

EDIT: You had me browsing, and I got swayed by the lemonade jersey which looks like it is being phased out, prefer the colour to the cytrus, so have ordered an xs and s to try - £63 each.

Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • drhaggis
    edited November 2019
    It's the PSN citrus indeed! DHL say it's here on Monday, and will let you know how it goes.

EDIT: that yellow looks ace too. It's a defiinite but welcome change from my typical blue...
  • w00dster
    w00dster Posts: 880
    I bought that jacket in the sale last week, wore it on Sunday, we’ll mine is the PSN winter jacket in Cosmo.
    I’m a Rapha and Castelli wearer normally, this time of year normally Rapha Training Jacket or an old Pro Team Jacket. The problem I’d found with Rapha is that their newer jackets are getting shorter, noticeably more in the front. I’m 174cms and just under 70kgs, normally a medium/small in Rapha Pro Race.
    I bought a medium in the LP, a bit big and looser than I’d normally wear, arm length is fairly long. It almost feels like a wetsuit, different than my other winter clothing....but it works. I was warm (3 degrees outside), face and top of legs were cold, but upper body was fine. No idea about the waterproof side of things, will soon find out. It’s slightly large at the neck, but with a buff it was fine. Could have gotten away with a small, but don’t mind more room in my winter clothing, allows for layers when it’s really cold.
    In terms of how it looks, it certainly looks well made, I would even rate it above my Castelli gear for looking well made.
    Think I paid just under £100 for it, appears to be a bargain.
  • drhaggis
    Jacket arrived today.

TL;DR: I'm going to return it, as it doesn't quite fit me.

The jacket looks nicely made. The jellow isn't quite TdF yellow, but an autumn yellow of sorts that I really liked (plus it fits well with my blue & white stuff). The inside feels a bit rougher than a Perfetto, but it's fine. I'm unsure how stretchy the fabric really is.

In terms of fit, however, I'm not their model. I'm 1m76cm, about 71kg, chest is 96cm or 38 inches and my waist is 83cm or 32.5". Just like woodster, the sleeves are longer than my arms, by maybe as much as 5 cm. The cut is looking for someone with a more hourglass figure though: wider shoulders with a slightly narrower chest.

I could live with the above, but the deal breaker _for me_ is the width at around the armpits. It seems slightly too short and, unless tucked in a really aero position, very uncomfortable; I feel pressure around those muscles (teres major?).

Darn. I so wanted to like it.
  • daniel_b
    edited December 2019
    Sorry to hear that Dr H :(

Wonder if I will have more luck with mine.

Just arrived today, will be able to try them on tomorrow.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • daniel_b
    They arrived - despite my currently portly state, I can still fit in the XS - arm length for me is good, and quality of fabric and cut do seem to work for me.
    Bit of a gamble, as I shouldn't ordinarily be this weight, but one I am willing to take.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • Seems to have nice products and design, but their client service is a awful.
    My experience is that they don't really care, they prefer to see a client gone instead of trying to satisfy him. This is my personal experience with them and trust me my request to them was very very fair. The client experience is key for online retailers and i believe they ll learn it slowly.
  • kingstonian
    kingstonian Posts: 2,847
    Interesting, I’ve had good service from them
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,252
    I must admit I find the opinion of someone that signs up to a forum only to slag off or promote a business utterly worthless as they clearly have an agenda.
  • tompo1
    tompo1 Posts: 12

Interesting, I’ve had good service from them

I've bought quite a bit of kit from La Passione over the years. Their customer service has been exemplary.

Only ever had one issue, which was my fault. I ordered a Jersey and shorts but ordered wrong size shorts. Realised what I had done and emailed them first thing next day. They got back to me very quickly to tell me my order had already been despatched but not to worry. All I had to do was to return the shorts when I received them and they would send me correct size. Only added a couple of days to the process.

They now have a shop in UK and orders are still received more or less next working day.

At the start of the pandemic, I did email La Passione in Italy to make sure they were all OK.
  • lincolndave
    lincolndave Posts: 9,441

Seems to have nice products and design, but their client service is a awful.
    My experience is that they don't really care, they prefer to see a client gone instead of trying to satisfy him. This is my personal experience with them and trust me my request to them was very very fair. The client experience is key for online retailers and i believe they ll learn it slowly.

I have bought and returned various items from la passione , They are a very professional and reputable company with a very good customer service