Does Turbo training translate in better results on the road?

It seems that my FTP on my race bike is significantly higher than on my cheap winter bike + turbo trainer.

So all of my indoor workouts are done at a lower power than what I can achieve outdoors on my race bike.

Does it make sense to train like this during the winter at lower power outputs or will it 1:1 translate to outdoor performance regardless of the lower power outputs?

Comments

• fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    What's your perceived effort on both ? Similar ?

Sometimes it's harder to push yourself indoors as it's warmer and nobody to chase.

Also how are you measuring FTP inside and out ?
  • From my own experiences, it takes ~3 weeks of doing 3+ turbo sessions a week where you include some significant intervals in your z3+ power zone during sessions of 30mins+ to get your body to adapt to the extra heat of turbo sessions compared to outdoors... While running a decent fan or two and drinking far more water indoors (I typically go through ~1.5 litres with ~75mins).

I then get very similar power and heart figures compared to outdoors.

If I don't do any z4+ turbo training for ~2 weeks, which rarely happens at all during the "winter season," I lose a lot of the adaption and my heart rate for z3+ power will raise again.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    zest28 said:

It seems that my FTP on my race bike is significantly higher than on my cheap winter bike + turbo trainer.

So all of my indoor workouts are done at a lower power than what I can achieve outdoors on my race bike.

Does it make sense to train like this during the winter at lower power outputs or will it 1:1 translate to outdoor performance regardless of the lower power outputs?

If the alternative is doing nothing then absolutely it makes sense.

Are you measuring both the same way?

People will have different effective threshold power in different positions as well (i.e., most people lose quite a few watts on a TT bike compared to a road bike - which is made up for by aero benefit).
  • dannbodge
    dannbodge Posts: 1,152
    Might be a discrepancy in your equipment (could be as simple as position) or the fact you can go harder indoors as you don't have to worry about where you're going.

I can't match my indoor FTP on the road, but on a closed circuit (Goodwood) they are the same.
  • zest28
    zest28 Posts: 403
    I am using the power meter of my trainer.

It seems that I need to adapt to indoor training as I should not be sweating like this with these efforts.

I bought a new blower and it has improved things already.

My sprinting power is still a joke though.