SPD-SL

darrell1967
darrell1967 Posts: 470
edited December 2019 in Road buying advice
Wifey asked me if I would like some new cycling shoes for Chrimbo.

So I’ve been looking in the sales and there are some serious bargains to be had.
Problem is that they all seem to be SPD-SL when my 2 road bikes are SPD. I’ve got an unused pair of Shimano PD6610 at home so I’m thinking I can stick these on my Boardman and keep the SPD’s on my commuter Specialized.

Problem is (to me) is that I’ve never used SDP-SL’s before. I’ve noticed that they are one sided... only half the chance to get my feet in!! Apart from that is there anything else I should be aware of or need to know?

Comments

• oxoman said:

Yep you have to walk like a duck and unless you use cleat covers they don't last long. Stick with SPD, plenty of road style shoes out there.

I really want to stick with SPD but the good deals seem to be a bit thin on the ground.
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    I don't have an issue with SPD-sl' s for walking, unless its down stairs, then everyone looks a bit daft.
  • I’m really liking the Sidi range so I must just lump it and go for it.
  • The whole walking thing is over exaggerated by some people. SPD SL cleats are fine to walk in for short distances. We're cyclists anyway, not ramblers!

The Shimano pedals in my experience hang in the right position so that clipping in isn't an issue.
  • Longshot
    Longshot Posts: 940

I’m really liking the Sidi range so I must just lump it and go for it.

I still use Sidi SPDs on my road bike. I switched to SPD-SLs a few years ago and didn't like them so went back.
    You can fool some of the people all of the time. Concentrate on those people.