Help with Headset

Hi, so I dismantled my headset to give it a service and when putting it back together something different happened from the previous times. I normally tighten the top cap bolt relatively tight, then loosen until the handlebars turn freely. However when I did this the handlebars never got stiff to turn. Everything else seems fine just worried I did something wrong. Do you think it's fine or is it likely there is an issue?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,702
    Have you missed a spacer? How much gap is there from the top edge of the stem to the top of the steerer tube?
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,750
    Possibly the starnut has a bit of play compared to in the past.
    No problem as long as the main screws are tight and there is no play within the headset.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Have you missed a spacer? How much gap is there from the top edge of the stem to the top of the steerer tube?

Thanks for the suggestion, yes I checked that at least three times, definitely all there. Once preloaded the steerer tube sits about 1.5mm below the top spacer.
    pblakeney said:

Possibly the starnut has a bit of play compared to in the past.
    No problem as long as the main screws are tight and there is no play within the headset.

That sounds feasible, stem bolts are tight and no play in headset.

Thanks all.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812

Thanks for the suggestion, yes I checked that at least three times, definitely all there. Once preloaded the steerer tube sits about 1.5mm below the top spacer.

Well if the centre of the top cap is more than 1.5mm below the outer rim that's not enough..... Most are about 2-3mm and its usually recommended the steerer is about 4-5mm down.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.