The Irony Thread

Comments

• Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,151

capt_slog said:

The other day the BBC ran a piece about one of the 'marginal seats', the gist of this was "that in places like these the outcome of the election will be decided".

They followed this up, immediately, with a piece about registering to vote and whether voting should be compulsory, "because every vote counts".

If every vote counts, then why will the election be decided in marginal seats?

I live in a safe seat, my vote counts for sod all.

that is genius "every vote counts" is literally the opposite of what our electoral system stands for.
    I think it's a case of 'everything counts in large amounts' to quote Depeche Mode. Individual votes in safe seats may not but if there are enough of them, they do.

I can see why people want PR but the idea of coalitions given the options it doesn't really appeal to me. There is also the question under PR of who is your local MP.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    i think there may be a bit of a shift in safe seats this time.

The election is, wrongly, basically all about brexit for a lot of people and probably a lot of people who wouldn't normally vote so I think (based on nothing more than my own hunch!) that the turn out might be quite high. This might lead to safe seats being less safe especially if tactical voting is used.

How many safe seats get over 50% of everyone who could vote?
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • Stevo_666

The election is, wrongly, basically all about brexit for a lot of people and probably a lot of people who wouldn't normally vote so I think (based on nothing more than my own hunch!) that the turn out might be quite high. This might lead to safe seats being less safe especially if tactical voting is used.

I posted a link on the Labour party thread about tactical voting and how it might just cancel out overall.

But it's good to stay positive.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    Stevo_666 said:

I posted a link on the Labour party thread about tactical voting and how it might just cancel out overall.

I don't want labour to win
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

I don't want labour to win
    Neither do I :)
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,484
    Safe seats aren't necessarily all that safe. Raab had a 23,000 majority at the last GE, but is now considered vulnerable.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Stevo_666
    rjsterry said:

Safe seats aren't necessarily all that safe. Raab had a 23,000 majority at the last GE, but is now considered vulnerable.

As mentioned above, works both ways. That's why Labour are changing.tack in their former Northern heartlands.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,195
    edited November 2019
    The problem is that when you have a w@nker in a safe seat, like Rees Mogg who might have* f*cked himself.
    Err sorry, I should have said 'hopefully f*cked himself'.

The problem is, the Northern Somerset/Cornwall/Wes' Cuntry bunch aren't the cleverest.
    Pre tin mine flooding: They were asked what they thought of being a member of the EU and whether it was a benefit to them. Most said no. In fact, the overwhelming majority said that the EU was interfering with fishing etc etc.

Then the tin mine's flooded. It took roughly 6 years for them to fill up after they were decommissioned. The leachate caused environmental havoc and it was estimated that it would take 7 to 10 years for the problem to be sorted out.
    One of the European rural emergency funds paid for the majority of the clean up and within 3 years, the pollution had been alleviated.

Asked of what they thought of being int he EU and bar a few disgruntled fishermen, the majority thought that it was a good idea being in the EU.

I can only surmise that not only aren't they*² very clever, they also suffer collective amnesia.

*² Yeah you lot.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • rjsterry
    pinno said:

The problem is that when you have a w@nker in a safe seat, like Rees Mogg who might have* f*cked himself.

The problem is, the Northern Somerset/Cornwall/Wes' Cuntry bunch aren't the cleverest.
    Pre tin mine flooding: They were asked what they thought of being a member of the EU and whether it was a benefit to them. Most said no. In fact, the overwhelming majority said that the EU was interfering with fishing etc etc.

Then the tin mine's flooded. It took roughly 6 years for them to fill up after they were decommissioned. The leachate caused environmental havoc and it was estimated that it would take 7 to 10 years for the problem to be sorted out.
    One of the European rural emergency funds paid for the majority of the clean up and within 3 years, the pollution had been alleviated.

Asked of what they thought of being int he EU and bar a few disgruntled fishermen, the majority thought that it was a good idea being in the EU.

I can only surmise that not only aren't they*² very clever, they also suffer collective amnesia.

*² Yeah you lot.

Not sure you've really got the hang of irony. North East Somerset - the bit just south of Bath - is 170 miles from the last tin mine in Cornwall (which closed more than 20 years ago); London is nearer to JRM's constituency.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• pinno
    edited November 2019
    rjsterry said:

Not sure you've really got the hang of irony.

I wasn't adding to the irony, We were talking about safe seats.
    rjsterry said:

North East Somerset - the bit just south of Bath - is 170 miles from the last tin mine in Cornwall (which closed more than 20 years ago); London is nearer to JRM's constituency.

Why let fact get in the way of a good rant about R-M?

#pedant

• awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    Stevo_666 said:

I think it's a case of 'everything counts in large amounts' to quote Depeche Mode. Individual votes in safe seats may not but if there are enough of them, they do.

I can see why people want PR but the idea of coalitions given the options it doesn't really appeal to me. There is also the question under PR of who is your local MP.

I think we'd just end up like a bigger version of Belgium with PR, which would be great for the beer,food,cycling etc dont get me wrong that would be nice...but the last 3 years would seem blissfully making progress in comparison politically.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,225
    Babies are harder to put to sleep when they’re tired.
  • pinno
    Babies are a doddle. I don't care what they say. It's when you put them down and you turn around and they are gone or... hanging on curtains, trying to use something unsteady to support themselves, putting things in their mouths that they shouldn't, yanking the cats tail, playing with the oily chain on your bike...
  • Stevo_666
    awavey said:

Stevo_666 said:

I think we'd just end up like a bigger version of Belgium with PR, which would be great for the beer,food,cycling etc dont get me wrong that would be nice...but the last 3 years would seem blissfully making progress in comparison politically.
    Agree, we'd get nothing done based on what we see in places like Belgium.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,686
    rjsterry said:

pinno said:

*² Yeah you lot.

Not sure you've really got the hang of irony. North East Somerset - the bit just south of Bath - is 170 miles from the last tin mine in Cornwall (which closed more than 20 years ago); London is nearer to JRM's constituency.

Anyway, this was tinny, rather than irony.
  • F
    Stevo_666 said:

awavey said:

Stevo_666 said:

Agree, we'd get nothing done based on what we see in places like Belgium.
    Ironically the economy would probably be more efficient without interference from politicians
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,608
    What's so wrong with Belgium? Spend time there every year, 2-3 visits per year. Friendly people, considerate drivers, good food, great beers, excellent cycling infrastructure.

For sure, they have a moan about their politics, but that's National League South compared to the Premier League level schisms foisted upon the dUK by posh boys who need a good shoeing.
  • pinno
    orraloon said:

...posh boys who need a good shoeing.

There's plenty of them.
    All members of the ERG for a start.

• Stevo_666
    Is it ironic when people who come down to live in posh parts of England moan about posh people?
  • pinno
    Stevo_666 said:

Is it ironic when people who come down to live in posh parts of England moan about posh people?

You ain't posh, so what does it matter to you? :)

• Stevo_666
    pinno said:

Stevo_666 said:

pinno said:

Stevo_666 said:

I don't moan either :)
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078

Feck me, yes. This.

It's a lot louder then too!
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    elbowloh said:

20p for the swearbox me, yes. This.

It's a lot louder then too!
    We learned to recognise the "sweet spot" when they were ready to go to sleep, but not yet at the overtired and fraught stage.

Eventually.
  • Longshot
    Longshot Posts: 940

So are 10 year olds.
    You can fool some of the people all of the time. Concentrate on those people.
  • rick_chasey
    Yay
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078

Yay

I was at work the other day and someone noted i looked tired.

"Yes" I say, "my little boy's 7 months old and he just doesn't sleep. He wakes up pretty much every hour".

He replies "Yeah, I have a 5 year old and he still doesn't sleep".

As you say, yay.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • rick_chasey
    At least I'm not the only one.
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    .. well, opinions are divided on controlled crying, but I can tell you that it works. I did have to physically prevent Mrs Bomp from going in and picking Bomp Jr up about an hour in on the first night we tried it, mind you.
  • rjsterry

At least I'm not the only one.

If you haven't seriously considered taking the littl'un for a few laps of the block in the pram to get them off to sleep... at 4am, then you still have some way to go. 😀
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• Stevo_666
    Driving them round in the car used to work well when ours was very small. No surprise that it's getting her out of bed that's the problem these days...