Anyone use an Airbike in the gym for fitness?

Morning All,
I'm trying to keep my riding fitness over winter, aren't we all !, and have a routine I follow in the gym as riding outside is becoming more difficult with unpredictable crap weather. Its for general fitness and not just cycling.
I do the usual routine, warm-up rowing machine, cross trainer for legs only then a number of weights both free and equipment framed with plenty of core exercises. Me and my mate have started to use the Airbikes/Assault bikes, the ones like a bike with moving arms. They are killers and really push the HR up quickly when doing 20 on 10 off intervals following 300 watts On and 120 watts off levels.
For those who don't know what they are I've included a link below.

https://rugbyrenegade.com/7-insane-assault-bike-workouts/

I find them good for intervals but hard.

Any of you guys use these in the gym?

Regards.

T.

Comments

• Longshot
    Longshot Posts: 940
    Nope. I do use the standard static or spin bikes for HIIT or constant wattage sessions which I find really helps keep bike fitness up as I only tend to rise at the weekends.
    You can fool some of the people all of the time. Concentrate on those people.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    The short answer is 'no'. Might be good for general fitness/conditioning - but in terms of bike fitness/performance, it's not specific enough to be of any real use. I wouldn't want to be spending time on an 'assault bike' if I could be doing something more bike-specific.
  • tonysj
    tonysj Posts: 391
    I take your point about bike specific training. My turbo Trainer has to go outside in an unheated garage and its really cold doing a session, nice when your sweating heavy but all to easy to get a chill/cold. I will still do brief session on the Assault bike AKA Satans Tricycle FFS when Im at the gym lol.
  • wongataa
    wongataa Posts: 1,001
    tonysj said:

I take your point about bike specific training. My turbo Trainer has to go outside in an unheated garage and its really cold doing a session, nice when your sweating heavy but all to easy to get a chill/cold. I will still do brief session on the Assault bike AKA Satans Tricycle FFS when Im at the gym lol.

Air temperature has no bearing at all on whether you are more or less likely to catch a cold. Colds are caused by viruses, not the temperature being low.
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    wongataa said:

tonysj said:

Air temperature has no bearing at all on whether you are more or less likely to catch a cold. Colds are caused by viruses, not the temperature being low.
    Being in cold weather can lower one's immune response. I recall Tony has Crohn's so might be on immunosuppressant medication already. I would avoid sweating heavily in a cold garage, to be honest.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • tonysj
    tonysj Posts: 391
    ben6899 said:

wongataa said:

tonysj said:

Being in cold weather can lower one's immune response. I recall Tony has Crohn's so might be on immunosuppressant medication already. I would avoid sweating heavily in a cold garage, to be honest.
    Yep spot on Ben. Im on immunosuppressant meds yet again . ☹️
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Plenty of bugs in the gym too.
    My garage is cold too. Jacket on to warm up and after I've finished.
  • Cold garage is ideal - very hard to be too cold on a turbo trainer - just pop a top on to warm up and as soon as you finish.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]