SRAM x9 2 x 10 chainrings alternative?

I have a Whyte 146s (2012) with a 2 x 10 setup. It came with SRAM chainrings. I have gone through a few since buying the bike (maybe 3 bikeparks per year + some bridleways). I have used TA cross alternatives. But I am still thinking that the rings wear out far too quickly - especially the small chainring. Is there such a thing as a steel chainring? or is there a better alternative to the SRAM or TA Cross? Any help greatly appreciated - thanks.

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Probably!

Which actual crankset and which actual chainrings, just saying SRAM doesn't help much!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Thanks for the reply. The crankset is a SRAM x9 2 x 10 speed (2012 model). 26 teeth small chainring - 38 teeth (TA Cross) outer chainring (although I believe that the original SRAM outer chainring had 39 teeth). 1051 chain - 1050 rear cassette. Do you need more than this?
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Yup, what BCD are the chainrings......
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Hi - 80 bcd for the inner chainring; 120 bcd for the outer chainring. Thanks.
  • robertpb
    robertpb Posts: 1,866
    How often have you been replacing the chain, a worn chain will kill chainrings. Do you check and measure your chain for wear.
    Now where's that "Get Out of Crash Free Card"
  • yes I check the chain for wear - I usually go through two chains to one chainring.