30tooth chainring vs 32 tooth oval chainring

Ive read that oval chainrings don't change the length of the chain. Would i be able to run a 32t oval on my newly bought bike that comes stock with 30t circular without getting a new chain?

Comments

• thecycleclinic
    thecycleclinic Posts: 395
    edited November 2019
    Where did you read that. Oval chainring dont change the overal length of the chain. I size the chain the same way for my oval ringed bikes.

For every one tooth you add or take away you change the chain wrap by approximately 1/4".
    www.thecycleclinic.co.uk
  • mattyfez
    mattyfez Posts: 638
    edited November 2019
    Do you mean a narrow /wide ring?
    But even so, if your chain is the right length it won't realistically make any difference.

You should be fine unless the chain is really tight to begin with.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    tomtom99 said:

Ive read that oval chainrings don't change the length of the chain. Would i be able to run a 32t oval on my newly bought bike that comes stock with 30t circular without getting a new chain?

Maybe... if the 30T has the chain spot on for size then no, if the sizing was a little generous (as the chain can only be changed by 1" at a time) then yes.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.