How to adjust Shimano ST-R7020 brake levers?

Can I alter the amount of brake lever travel on my 105 brake levers?
I've altered the reach, so the levers start at the maximum distance away from the handler bars, but if I wanted to use 1 finger brakes to slow down I can't, because the shift lever is in contact with my other fingers.

The bike is new, so I don't think the brakes need bleeding. But I might be wrong.

I've seen it mentioned I should remove the wheel and gently squeeze the brake levers, to move the pistons in more.
It seems bad advice, but looking at the YT video, it appeared to work.

Thank you.

Comments

• redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    It is possible if you know what you're doing with hydro systems. What you're looking for is called advancing the pads and when I had my bike set finalised by the LBS I mentioned I prefer the brakes to bite sooner than the usual hydraulic bit point so the shop advanced the pads which I think is pressing the lever with no pads/rotor and then topping up the fluid. I didn't ask how it was done so I might be wrong but my brakes bite long before the lever reaches the bars.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • RedClip
    RedClip Posts: 110
    redvee said:

It is possible if you know what you're doing with hydro systems. What you're looking for is called advancing the pads and when I had my bike set finalised by the LBS I mentioned I prefer the brakes to bite sooner than the usual hydraulic bit point so the shop advanced the pads which I think is pressing the lever with no pads/rotor and then topping up the fluid. I didn't ask how it was done so I might be wrong but my brakes bite long before the lever reaches the bars.

Thank you :)
  • pilot_pete
    pilot_pete Posts: 2,120
    Just be careful you don’t induce really, really annoying brake disc rub - where the pad(s) just contact the disc and make a scraping sound!

An oft passed on tip in the Workshop forum to prevent this is removing the wheel, taking out the bleed port screw and then pushing the pads apart to remove a little excess fluid!

PP
  • RedClip
    RedClip Posts: 110

Just be careful you don’t induce really, really annoying brake disc rub - where the pad(s) just contact the disc and make a scraping sound!

An oft passed on tip in the Workshop forum to prevent this is removing the wheel, taking out the bleed port screw and then pushing the pads apart to remove a little excess fluid!

PP

Thank you very much for the advice :)
  • Very Helpful Post for me, I use Oral Steroids, I thing ST-R7020 brake save for me.