Where can I do long distance training sessions in London in the evenings ?

Are there facilities, indoor or outdoor, that cater to long distance training in London in the evenings? My tiny flat won't fit an indoor trainer. Either a gym that stays open late that preferably has real bikes (like Athlete Lab) or an outdoor floodlit circuit/track. Has anyone hired a lockup or storage facility where they keep rollers or an indoor trainer?

All advice appreciated.

Comments

• Laps of Richmond Park?
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    edited November 2019
    What do you mean by 'long distance' - and whereabouts in London?

Hillingdon circuit is open access unless there is a booking, or there's Lee Valley and Redbridge circuits too. Herne Hill may offer some evening freewheel sessions too, so worth checking. Alternatively, use one of the parks, depending on whereabouts you are.
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    Find a gym with a Wattbike? Plenty of those around. Regent's Park you could do, probably better than Richmond Park for winter evenings unless you have very good lights. Chain gang route out from south east London to Sevenoaks and back - takes an hour and a half or so, but you could do a couple of laps. Herne Hill has at least one open road bike session, probably similar at Velopark, Hog Hill, Hillingdon etc.
  • maryka
    maryka Posts: 748
    Not sure if Hillingdon has floodlights, but Cyclopark definitely does, as does the Lee Valley Velopark. They will often be booked though, so check ahead to see if the circuit is open for general riding/laps. Expect to pay for both too.

Richmond Park is currently closed for the deer cull after 8pm, and will be again closed in February for 6 weeks. During the summer it's a great place for laps after sunset/rush hour but as every other cyclist in a 10 mile radius thinks the same, it's often full of many people pushing the pace and often pushing the limits of safe and sensible riding at the same time. If you want to ride 2-3+ hours steady it's pretty decent though.

Regent's is the only park in London proper, have never ridden there myself but lots do. Personally if you really can't get a turbo in your flat (can't imagine why you couldn't tbh! I managed it in my tiny studio flat way back when) then something like Athlete's Lab would do it.

Not sure what you mean by "open late" either, but with the number of careless/drunk/racing/etc. drivers on the roads after 9-10pm you wouldn't catch me doing long/rural road rides or chaingangs at that time of night.

• darrell1967
    darrell1967 Posts: 470
    edited November 2019
    Bishopsgate to Mill Hill is a long enough ride for me at this time of the year.