Smart Training

Hi all,

I am looking for some advice regarding indoor training with Zwift, Trainer Road and the likes using smart rollers, I am swaying towards the Elite Arion digital B. However, I am seeing mixed reviews with regards to rollers and their suitability for sprint efforts (accuracy of power output) or high cadence due to stability. Can anyone provide some real world advice as to how good or bad they are and also any alternatives?

I have avoided looking at turbo trainers as I have had a non-smart turbo in the past and found it to be both a hassle to set up and very boring as you could essentially switch off and turn the pedals.

Cheers

Comments

• StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    Unless you're very good on the rollers to be able to maintain both sprint efforts without wobbling off and balance with slow efforts of serious gradients, i'd go smart trainer. Yes a turbo can be boring if you're just turning the pedals, but using apps like The Sufferfest, TrainerRoad etc do nullify the boredom a bit.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    Don’t go rollers for Zwift.
    That’s all
  • Ok thanks for both of your comments. Now off to spends days reading about turbos...
  • StillGoing
    jgsi said:

Don’t go rollers for Zwift.
    That’s all

Is quite right unless you can maintain your balance on rollers while tackling 17% climbs.
  • I've had a look and assuming I go the trainer route, I will be better placed getting a second hand wahoo kickr or similar. Unless anyone can recommend a wheel off smart trainer for ~£500 absolute max.

Cheers
  • Cheers I seen that but there is limited reviews on it. The ones that do exist indicate possible firmware issues (although the particular reviews are over a year old) it is unclear if these are resolved.

I appreciate I have a limited budget but I want something that at least works properly.
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    that isn't a smart trainer though is it? it wouldn't automatically adjust resistance via zwift or other apps
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • wongataa
    wongataa Posts: 1,001

Cheers I seen that but there is limited reviews on it. The ones that do exist indicate possible firmware issues (although the particular reviews are over a year old) it is unclear if these are resolved.

I appreciate I have a limited budget but I want something that at least works properly.

https://dcrainmaker.com/2019/11/elite-zumo-smart-trainer-in-depth-review.html

It is perfectly fine now.

• StillGoing
    Indeed, Shane Miller rates it highly and better performing than many more expensive smart trainers.

https://youtu.be/JWh_dSiS-uA
  • I thought

that isn't a smart trainer though is it? it wouldn't automatically adjust resistance via zwift or other apps

I thought these paragraphs suggest it was with the additional sensor..

"Although the Volano doesn't come with one fitted, it's compatible with Elite's Misuro B+ speed/power/cadence sensor(link is external) (£59.99). I tried one out. It's easy enough to fit: you just unscrew a couple of bolts on the back of the Volano to reveal a small compartment, sling the device in, and put the lid back on.

The Misuro B+ sends data via ANT+ and Bluetooth Smart to a head unit. I used it mostly with a smartphone equipped with Elite's myETraining app(link is external). You get basic use free and the option of upgrading to more involved features for a subscription fee."

If not, it shows how absolutely clueless I am!
  • wongataa said:

Cheers I seen that but there is limited reviews on it. The ones that do exist indicate possible firmware issues (although the particular reviews are over a year old) it is unclear if these are resolved.

https://dcrainmaker.com/2019/11/elite-zumo-smart-trainer-in-depth-review.html

It is perfectly fine now.

Indeed, Shane Miller rates it highly and better performing than many more expensive smart trainers.

https://youtu.be/JWh_dSiS-uA

Cheers both! Looks like it could be the one to go for
  • slowmart
    slowmart Posts: 4,474
    edited November 2019
    https://www.decathlon.co.uk/flux-smart-direct-drive-turbo-trainer-id_8534451.html?msclkid=cdc6c5e5ad2c11c563d4983b5e4f3198

Plus cassette and you’ll still get change from your budget. The tech support is fine and tacx having now been bought by Garmin the warranty support is pretty decent.

My flux failed a couple of months outside of the warranty period but Tacx honoured the warranty with a like for like replacement

In terms of fitness gains, TrainerRoad and a smart trainer is a game changer in terms of productivity x time effectiveness = fitness gains

Best wishes with the training
    “Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913

I thought

I thought these paragraphs suggest it was with the additional sensor..

"Although the Volano doesn't come with one fitted, it's compatible with Elite's Misuro B+ speed/power/cadence sensor(link is external) (£59.99). I tried one out. It's easy enough to fit: you just unscrew a couple of bolts on the back of the Volano to reveal a small compartment, sling the device in, and put the lid back on.

The Misuro B+ sends data via ANT+ and Bluetooth Smart to a head unit. I used it mostly with a smartphone equipped with Elite's myETraining app(link is external). You get basic use free and the option of upgrading to more involved features for a subscription fee."

If not, it shows how absolutely clueless I am!
    That sensor will allow the trainer to broadcast the power, speed and cadence data but it won't be controllable. So you could read your data on a bike computer but you wouldn't be able to get automatic gradient changes for zwift or power levels for erg mode workouts.
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes