How to store mountain bikes?

omarm
omarm Posts: 73
edited May 2019 in MTB general
I want to build a mini shed to store 4 mountain bikes.
Problem: the handle bars get on the way of storing!

Any suggestions of storing?

Ideally though... I just want to be able to pull out the bike and ride off.

Thanks.

Comments

• tom_howard
    tom_howard Posts: 789
    I’m storing mine vertically with hooks at alternating heights
    Santa Cruz 5010C
    Deviate Guide
    Specialized Sequoia Elite
    Pivot Mach 429SL
    Trek Madone 5.2 Di2
    Salsa Mukluk Carbon
    Specialized Turbo Levo Expert 29er
  • steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,443
    Last year I spent time at my mates house in South Carolina. He lives on an island that gets flooded when there is a storm. The houses are all built on top of the garages, so it's the garages that get the brunt of it. The year before all the bikes in the garage got completely immersed in sandy salt water for several days! I helped him hang the new bikes, seven of them, from the ceiling. We bought some really big rubber covered cup hooks (think 3" diameter). We drilled small pilot holes and then screwed them into the ceiling and hung the bikes from them. In this case we hung them upside down by the wheels. The lowest part of the bikes was at least four feet off the ground. He has been very happy with this arrangement and reported no problems with the bikes.

Ref the issue with the hydraulic brakes. I have not come across problems being caused by hanging bikes upside down. That doesn't mean it's not possible, just that I haven't heard of it. However, to cure a slightly soft lever on the rear brake, I was once advised to zip tie the lever fully on and then store the bike on its back wheel overnight. This was to allow any bubbles to rise to the lever body, where a simple front end bleed cured the problem. So, storing by hanging on the wall has an effect, but not necessarily a bad one.

What I would be concerned about is the suspension. If you store a bike on its wheels for a long time, the oil in the suspension eventually drains down to the lowest point. This may lead to the upper seals in the fork drying out a bit. This may take months to happen, but I am assured that it will happen. The cure is easy, every couple of months, store the bike upside down overnight. Or better still ride it more frequently!! Something similar may happen with the shock, but I have never read or heard about it.
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    edited November 2019
    @maxcol513 Stop spamming the forums. Add something useful or phuq off.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009