Air Shock V Coil Shock - What do you recommend for a heavier rider?

Hi, I am considering upgrading my Fox Float DPS EVOL Performance shock on my 2016 orange five for something a bit more advanced. I am really in a pickle between the higher end air V coil shocks and I am seeking advice as I'm a heavier rider and have never tried high end coil shocks before.

My current float's pressure psi is pretty much maxed out and although it performs surprisingly well for my weight it does somewhat struggle during harsher trail riding.

I have been told that if your above 17 stone coil shocks are the best option is this true?

Also any suggestions on good air and coil shock models would be appreciated.

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    If you have a frame design without much progression that is prone to bottoming out you will need a very stiff coil to cope.

Have you tried adding a volume spacer to your air shock. If that works then just go for a better air shock with similar spacer.

"I have been told that if your above 17 stone coil shocks are the best option is this true?"
    No. It depends on a number of factors.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,443
    I was going to make the same point, but Rookie beat me to it. Tuning the air spring is a cheap and very effective way of resolving your problem. If you are regularly bottoming out the shock or getting close to it, even with low % sag, then tuning the air spring is the way to go. It will change the nature of the spring curve so that even with a normal amount of %sag (and the nice supple feel that comes with it), you will still get increased resistance to bottoming out. You may also require reduced air pressure to achieve what you want.

The following link will be useful, but you need to find the correct kit for your shock.
    https://www.ridefox.com/fox17/help.php?m=bike&id=568

And here is how to do it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=muVnUuNfa74

When I did my Fox shock, I didn't even have to remove it from the bike, although the guy in the video does so to make it easier to show the camera what he was doing. When I'd done it once in the garage and seen how easy it was, later on when I was out on the trail, I changed the the size of the spacer for a bigger one. It took me 5 mins! I weighed 14.5 stone in my riding kit and I used the small spacer (0.2cu in). The difference was astonishing. I just had to try a bigger spacer to see if it was even better. I tried the medium spacer (0.4cu in) but it was too much and the ride felt harsh, so I replaced the small spacer.

As your riding weight is more than me, you may believe that starting with the medium spacer will be the correct way for you to go. That may work out, but don't forget that the suspension design and the shock leverage ratio will be different for your bike than to mine. So you may still need to try a few different spacers to be certain that you have the correct one for you and your bike.

Good luck! :)
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    To add to Steve's comment, it quite literally took me about 2-3 minutes to swap the spacer in mine (RP23).

My Whyte T129 puts a lot of weight on the rear wheel seated and as a very low shock leverage ratio (less than 2) so I ended up with a 0.8 spacer (having started with a 0.6).
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.