Bike Computer

Hi all,

back in the game a bit. Want to order a new bike computer in the coming sales. I've always used Garmin. Are they still the go to?

I want mainly speed, cadence, heart rate and mapping ability eg Strava.

Any recommendations, and anyone seen a great deal?

Cheers

Comments

• fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Look up the bargain thread. There was a great offer on a Garmin computer.
  • 50x11
    50x11 Posts: 408
    fenix said:

Look up the bargain thread. There was a great offer on a Garmin computer.

Hey, thanks for the reply.

Do you know where i could find that thread? New round here.
  • alanyu
    alanyu Posts: 73
    530 and 830 are pretty good, garmin still a leader in the game.
  • Longshot
    Longshot Posts: 940
    50x11 said:

Hi all,

back in the game a bit. Want to order a new bike computer in the coming sales. I've always used Garmin. Are they still the go to?

Cheers

Garmin are still at least one of the main players. Personally, I love the Wahoo Elemnt Bolt I have and many seem to prefer their computers to Garmins. I've never owned a Garmin so can't comment on that point.
    You can fool some of the people all of the time. Concentrate on those people.
  • https://www.wiggle.co.uk/lezyne-super-cycle-gps-with-mapping/

I don't think thi can be beaten for its features for £70, I paid ~£100 ~2.5 years ago. The only think I don't like is how it deals with staggered crossroads while navigating, it does not have an instruction along the lines of "Stagger left then immediate right." So you take turn left/right and then get told to turn right/left once you are ~10m or so past.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • 50x11
    50x11 Posts: 408

https://www.wiggle.co.uk/lezyne-super-cycle-gps-with-mapping/

I don't think thi can be beaten for its features for £70, I paid ~£100 ~2.5 years ago. The only think I don't like is how it deals with staggered crossroads while navigating, it does not have an instruction along the lines of "Stagger left then immediate right." So you take turn left/right and then get told to turn right/left once you are ~10m or so past.

That could be right up my street.

Not too fussed about nav functions atm, generally ride same roads. Does it come with the sensors?
  • 50x11 said:

https://www.wiggle.co.uk/lezyne-super-cycle-gps-with-mapping/

That could be right up my street.

Not too fussed about nav functions atm, generally ride same roads. Does it come with the sensors?
    No sensors in that package, the "fully loaded" bundle does, but at silly extra price... Just get a Coospo H6 hrm and a Coospo speed/cadence sensor (both Bluetooth and ANT+) for ~£40 from Amazon.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    edited November 2019
    alanyu said:

530 and 830 are pretty good, garmin still a leader in the game.

No longer the case. Wahoo offerings match or exceed Garmin and come with far better reliability.

Other brands are catching up as well.

OP there will be some great deals over the remainder of the month, black Friday deals, so keep an eye out.
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    50x11 said:

Hi all,

Cheers

Erm no. Wahoo have three decent units in the ELEMNT, ELEMNT Bolt and ELEMNT ROAM. I have the ROAM and the Garmin 530. For simplicity of set up and operation, the ROAM wins hands down. For screen colour and a few extra features not yet available on the ROAM, the 530 wins.

I've had no issues with the ROAM, it quickly and easily pairs with sensors and is intuitive to operate. Uploads immediately on return to home. Live track has never failed. It won't work with my Neo trainer for riding ridden routes.

The 530 is a pain to set up and had to be reset to factory when set up failed the first time. The menu operation is a maze unless you're a regular user of it. Live track fails regularly for owners. It won't work properly with my Neo, despite supposedly being able to do so.

Why do I have both? My daughter wanted something to show what she is doing, (she's 5 and I spoil her). She's commandeered my ROAM. :) I'm stuck with the 530. :/
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • drnewbury
    drnewbury Posts: 1
    edited November 2019
    Kind of the definition of a "great deal".
    AUD$40: Xoss G+
    https://www.xoss.co/pages/xoss-g.html#/

Also, they have heart rate, cadence and speed sensors that are all around that price each. I just got the wiggle lifeline ant+ ones though.