What type of chain oil

I have a mountain bike it's not an expensive bike,but I would like to keep it in good condition,I only use it to pop to the shops.
Could anyoen suggest a suitable oil to use for the chain,I did have GT85 but the tin is empty now and I thought it would be good to get some advice,if possible one that doesn't cost too much as I'm a carer so my finances are limited.

Comments

• JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    Don't use oil. It just makes a mess.
    GT85 is not good as a chain lube lubricant. It washes out old lube and then gets washed off itself very easily.

Get something like White Lightning Wet Ride or Finish Line 1-Step.

There are loads of decent chain lubes available from £3 up to £30. Read a few reviews/comparisons and then choose one to suit your budget.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,443
    edited November 2019
    Finish Line Wet lube for when it's wet and Finish Line Dry lube for when it's dry.

Wipe the chain clean, apply the lube, spin the cranks half a dozen times as you work through the gears. Leave overnight, wipe off, go ride.

PS: The "leave overnight" bit is not essential, but if you know you are going out tomorrow, why not do it? :)
  • Thanks for that,I shall have a good look
  • larkim
    larkim Posts: 2,474
    Or Squirt for when its wet or dry, just one bottle!
    2015 Canyon Nerve AL 6.0 (son #1's)
    2011 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (son #4s)
    2013 Decathlon Triban 3 (red) (mine)
    2019 Hoy Bonaly 26" Disc (son #2s)
    2018 Voodoo Bizango (mine)
    2018 Voodoo Maji (wife's)
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Another fan of squirt for my MTB (not for my commuter though).
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • JBA said:

Don't use oil. It just makes a mess.
    GT85 is not good as a chain lube lubricant. It washes out old lube and then gets washed off itself very easily.

Get something like White Lightning Wet Ride or Finish Line 1-Step.

There are loads of decent chain lubes available from £3 up to £30. Read a few reviews/comparisons and then choose one to suit your budget.

Thanks just had bike serviced and it's running beautifully now,so just ordered Finish line 1 step from Amazon to keep things running smoothly
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639

Another fan of squirt for my MTB (not for my commuter though).

Agree with that one. my chain went orange using squirt over a uk winter.

Currently using Rock n Roll extreme lube, its excellent stuff cleans and lubes in one.
  • jonathanuk
    jonathanuk Posts: 67
    edited December 2019
    When my chain starts to turn black from gunk or has been out on a particularly wet or muddy ride I will clean it either using a chain scrubber tool (with chain cleaning fluid, though personally I use paraffin as it does a superb job and can easily be re-used once the dregs have fallen to the bottom of the tub.. Paraffin stinks though, don't get it on you or your clothes!) or with a microfibre cleaning cloth and GT85 spray, this dislodges the water and muck leaving the chain ready for a fresh application of chain oil.

For chain oil I use one that's specific for the expected conditions, summer time I will usually use a dry or dry/wet lube, autumn an all-weather lube, winter usually a wet lube (if it's very wet looking), the only problem with the full-wet lube is that everything sticks to it, so one ends up with grit in the gears.

I do take some time to keep my gears clean after each wet or muddy ride, it extends the life of them and keeps them running very smooth. If you don't get mud or much water near the bike then just clean them when the gears start to look bad or if they start skipping etc.
  • steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,443

.......... the only problem with the full-wet lube is that everything sticks to it, so one ends up with grit in the gears. ............

Just to clear up any confusion about why use a lube that everything sticks to.. Wet lube is designed to stick to the chain and resist wash off, so that it continues to lubricate the chain. Perfect for the wet season.
    Dry lube is a waxy substance that flakes off when grit hits it, so that dust does not stick. Perfect for the dry season.

You only have to get caught in a rain storm with dry lube on the chain and hear the horrible scraping noise of an un-lubricated chain to realise the benefits of a wet lube.
  • I use rock n roll extreme or holy cow on my MTBs although it way too filthy to go.off road. It's bad enough on the road.
    www.thecycleclinic.co.uk