Thornaby. (Road riding)

I'm going to Thornaby with the wife to visit her family this weekend coming and I have been granted cycling leave (seeing as I'm painting the hall/ stairs and landing this week) so anybody have any good routes for about 50-60 miles or places to go/ avoid?

I don't mind climbing, prefer not too many back roads (single track) as they are puncture city this time of year and whats the flooding like around there?

Comments

• webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    Head over Chop Gate through Bilsdale to Helmsley then along A170 towards Kirkbymoorside. Up to Fadmoor, Gilamoor towards Hutton Le Hole left to Castleton etc.
  • webboo said:

Head over Chop Gate through Bilsdale to Helmsley then along A170 towards Kirkbymoorside. Up to Fadmoor, Gilamoor towards Hutton Le Hole left to Castleton etc.

Thanks, I'll have a look and plot some routes.
  • webboo
    There isn’t much flooding on the south side of the NYMOORS but there is a lot of water in the fields. Which has resulted in large puddles at the side of the roads in some places as well it running down the roads. Which may be an issue as it only 1 degree at the moment.
  • webboo said:

There isn’t much flooding on the south side of the NYMOORS but there is a lot of water in the fields. Which has resulted in large puddles at the side of the roads in some places as well it running down the roads. Which may be an issue as it only 1 degree at the moment.

Ewww, I think It'll be case of plan route and decide on the day, dunno wether it'll be Sat or Sun. I don't mind as long as it is 4˚c or above and dry!!
    Thanks for the info.
  • webboo said:

So I went out yesterday morning. I left Thornaby and head over Chop Gate and up Carlton Bank, couldn't see a lot as it was covered in cloud, I forgot my HR strap so overevved myself half way up, but still enjoyed. The cloud clears half way down he other side and headed to Laskill and then back over to Hawnby and down the 33% muddy wet roads and up the 25% climbs there too! Onto Omothersley though middle wood and back to Thornaby cos Appleton Wiske.
    It was a lovely, character building in places for us flatlanders, were not used to proper hills :D
    The weather was foggy, wet, cold, sunny, warm, muddy, leafy, windy and still!

Half way up Charlton Bank.

Where I came from...

• me-109
    me-109 Posts: 1,915
    You come from Osmotherley and couldn't remember some decent roads?!

Good choice of route - one of my favourites with the exception of the heart attack or shame of stopping on Carlton Bank. Tend to go up Clay as per the other suggestion, with a short route back over Raisdale to Carlton as an alternative.
  • parmos
    parmos Posts: 100
    My neck of the woods shame i didn’t activate the new log in in time 😂😂

Looked a decent ride
  • webboo
    webboo said:

Went to visit friends in East Yorkshire and drove back on minor roads on the Wolds. I have never seen so much water on the roads and in the fields.
  • me-109 said:

You come from Osmotherley and couldn't remember some decent roads?!

Good choice of route - one of my favourites with the exception of the heart attack or shame of stopping on Carlton Bank. Tend to go up Clay as per the other suggestion, with a short route back over Raisdale to Carlton as an alternative.

No, I come from Norfolk and I was in the area for the weekend and plotted a route on ride with GPS and little advice from here. I really need a 34 tooth on the rear and not the 30, I think I would have just made it if I hadn't let the heart explode, I did the Fred Whitton on the same gearing apart from Hardkott, but hey ho.
    It would have been longer but I only 3-3 1/2 hour window.
    I'll be back in the summer to do it in better weather and hopefully a longer route.
  • That’s very similar to the White Horse Sportive route. I live in Stokesley so ride out that way all of the time. Great place to live and ride!
  • skeetam
    skeetam Posts: 178

Some incredible roads in this area. Was over Gillamoor on my last ride.