Things you have recently learnt

Comments

• chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913

Teen Spirit as in Nirvana's "Smells Like Teen Spirit" is a deodorant

yep - Kurt Cobain was at a party and someone spray painted on the wall and it said "Kurt smells like teen spirit" and so the title was born!

Imagine how different the world would be if they had sprayed "Kurt - Just say no" instead!
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • chris_bass
    forehead said:

Recently learned that I suffer with tryptohobia. had no idea it was called that.

me too! really badly!
  • forehead
    forehead Posts: 180

forehead said:

Recently learned that I suffer with tryptohobia. had no idea it was called that.

me too! really badly!
    Aweful, isn't it, makes me itch like mad!
    Cube - Peloton
    Cannondale - CAAD10
  • chris_bass
    forehead said:

forehead said:

me too! really badly!
    Aweful, isn't it, makes me itch like mad!
    it makes me want to actually throw up and then i can't get the image out of my head, luckily it is relatively easy to avoid on the whole. I didn't know it was actually a "thing" i thought it was just me!
  • chris_bass
    The reason there are two tides a day is because the moon pulls the water away from the earth on one side and pulls the earth away from the water on the other side!
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    Adrenaline stops you from sweating.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,213
    ben6899 said:

Adrenaline stops you from sweating.

I wonder how long it will be until someone makes an anti-perspirant called Adrenaline for Men?
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    oxoman said:

Discovered there's always some barsteward that insists on altering or removing route markers on Sportives.

However once the event is over it would seem they are impossible to remove.
  • capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,939

The reason there are two tides a day is because the moon pulls the water away from the earth on one side and pulls the earth away from the water on the other side!

This didn't sound right, so I thought I'd look it up, and the real reason(?) is even more bizarre...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pwChk4S99i4

The older I get, the better I was.

• chris_bass
    capt_slog said:

This didn't sound right, so I thought I'd look it up, and the real reason(?) is even more bizarre...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pwChk4S99i4
    in my defence I got my information from a tweet from Lawrence Krauss to Richard Dawkins - so blame them not me!! :)
  • mtb-idle
    mtb-idle Posts: 2,179
    That Richard Dawkins and Stephen Hawking are different people...

Unlike the fact i have known for years that Tony Hawk (Californian pro-skateboarder and all round rad dude) and Tony Hawks (geeky English comedian, round Ireland with a fridge) are different people.
    FCN = 4
  • I need to get the cars filled up.
  • kingstonian
    kingstonian Posts: 2,847
    That my wife is unable to put the ironing board away safely (discovered when it fell over and whacked me on the ankle yesterday evening)............
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,195
    edited November 2019
    rjsterry said:

That a 70m diameter receiver can detect a signal from a 22.4W transmitter over a distance of 2bn miles. B)

Aah but; who measured it?
    Voyager 1?

Now that is fascinating.

Here's a link:
    https://earthsky.org/space/what-is-the-most-distant-man-made-object-from-earth
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    edited November 2019
    forehead said:

https://theguardian.com/science/2019/nov/19/whats-behind-a-phobia-of-holes

Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,939

in my defence I got my information from a tweet from Lawrence Krauss to Richard Dawkins - so blame them not me!! :)

No blame intended, I thank you for the lead! I love stuff like that and was glad to know the reasoning. :)

The older I get, the better I was.

• forehead
    elbowloh said:

forehead said:

Are there any pictures of small holes in that article? :)
    Cube - Peloton
    Cannondale - CAAD10
  • chris_bass
    capt_slog said:

No blame intended, I thank you for the lead! I love stuff like that and was glad to know the reasoning. :)

me too - so thank you for the correction :smiley:
  • chris_bass
    forehead said:

elbowloh said:

forehead said:

that is the problem - i want to research how to get over this but all information on it shows me the very thing i am trying to avoid - i can't explain the feeling - it is almost like i'm chocking and then going to be sick when i see it - but luckily it is relatively uncommon in daily life!
  • forehead

forehead said:

elbowloh said:

forehead said:

that is the problem - i want to research how to get over this but all information on it shows me the very thing i am trying to avoid - i can't explain the feeling - it is almost like i'm chocking and then going to be sick when i see it - but luckily it is relatively uncommon in daily life!
    Have you always had it? I reckon I've only had it the last 10 years or so.

I remember being intrigued by the Attenborough documentary about the Surinam Toad when I was a kid, but I can't watch it now!
    Cube - Peloton
    Cannondale - CAAD10
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,223
    edited November 2019
    Some of the stats coming out of international men's day were quite eye opening.

In the UK, 1 in 8 men say they have properly 'no friends' and 1 in 5 say they don't have a friend close enough to discuss personal issues.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498

In the UK, 1 in 8 men say they have properly 'no friends' and 1 in 5 say they don't have a friend close enough to discuss personal issues.

Depends on the definition of "friend" - I certainly have loads of acquaintances - like members of the clubs I belong to - the level of personal issue discussed with them depends on what it is.
  • Tashman
    Tashman Posts: 3,398

All sounds perfectly normal to me
  • Tashman said:

+1 a proper friend would know not to talk about their personal issues
  • haydenm
    haydenm Posts: 2,997
    I don't even talk to myself about my personal issues, let alone anyone else...
  • elbowloh
    forehead said:

elbowloh said:

forehead said:

There aren't actually.

It does try to explain why it seems to be so common though.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    That sign language is different in each country and even has regional variances. This seems a shame.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,151
    Tashman said:

Do 'friends' on bike forums count?
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,195
    forehead said:

forehead said:

elbowloh said:

forehead said:

Have you always had it? I reckon I've only had it the last 10 years or so.

I remember being intrigued by the Attenborough documentary about the Surinam Toad when I was a kid, but I can't watch it now!
    Eggs on the back of Toads.
    Even the thought provokes some deep, intangible and uncomfortable feeling.

seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • elbowloh
    edited November 2019
    pinno said:

Eggs on the back of Toads.

...and that's the last time you'll eat at a Heston Blumenthal restaurant.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk