How much toe room needed in mtb flat shoes

benbowdigs
benbowdigs Posts: 3
edited November 2019 in MTB general
Quick question regarding mtb flat bike shoes. How much toe room should you have?

Regards,
Luke

Comments

• robertpb
    robertpb Posts: 1,866
    The first thing to remember with flat pedal shoes is that they don't grow, so if you buy them a bit tight they will remain tight for the rest of there days.

For 5 10's I go up a half size for summer use and winter a whole size, thicker socks and riggle room to keep your toes warm.

I've come to dispair on shoe sizes, my Clarkes all size 8, 5 pairs very roomy, Scarpa boots 8 very roomy, Aigle wellies 8 very roomy, Bontrager clipless 8 pretty tight only thin socks, 5 10's 1pair 8.5 OK for summer use, 2 pairs 9 for winter both not as roomy as the 8's in my other footwear. Plus I have 2 pairs of Saloman Trail running shoes one 9 the other 8.5.

So if you want them for the winter make sure you have plenty of riggle room otherwise your feet will freeze.
    Now where's that "Get Out of Crash Free Card"
  • steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,443
    I get a whole size bigger so that I can wear Sealskinz socks in my Shimano AMs. Then I wear the Sealskinz all year round!
    The socks protect my shins from nettles and brambles in summer and keep me warm in the winter. I am not aware of them being too warm in the summer.
  • benbowdigs
    benbowdigs Posts: 3
    edited November 2019
    Thanks for the advice guys, I bought some Northwave Clans and they fit but with next to no wriggle room, seems ill be sending them back for a 46.

Thanks again,
    Luke