Lost the post key

Pep
Pep Posts: 501
edited October 2019 in The cake stop
Ok here we go...
I have a postbox outside our home. Long story cut short, lost all keys, watched few YouTubes and decided to drill through the lock.
Used HSS Titanium coated bits (at least I think so, they look kinda gold) but a couple broke, the lock is just bloody hard.
How to open the box without having to destroy it all (at this stage I don't mind losing the lock, in fact that's gone already...)?
Thanks,

Comments

• fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    I thought this was a postman after urgent advice.

Maybe a photo would help ? I thought postboxes were a US thing ?
  • Pep
    Will take a photo and post it.
    Germany here. Most houses have outside postboxes.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,498
    Call a locksmith?

I tried drilling out a tooth cavity, but it didn't work so I went to see the dentist....

(Titanium nitride is has a gold sheen by the way - and is extremely hard. That's what your drill bits used to be coated in.)
  • Pep
    Call a locksmith?

Thanks.
    Of course that would do. I did think of it already. But calling a pro is kind of an expensive ultimate solution, when all other "simpler" cheaper DIY attempts failed.
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    Try Tungsten Carbide bits, should work better than the titanium tipped ones. Use an oil to keep the bit cool apply pressure so it bites well an don't run the drill at high speed.
    Should go through then, I'm assuming its a normal barrel lock
  • lesfirth
    lesfirth Posts: 1,382
    Use an angle grinder to access the contents and buy a new box with some of the money you saved on a locksmith.
  • First.Aspect
    lesfirth wrote:
    Use an angle grinder to access the contents and buy a new box with some of the money you saved on a locksmith.
    Walter White used thermite. Have you got an etch a sketch handy?
  • lesfirth wrote:

Wot he sed
  • robert88
    robert88 Posts: 2,696
    I expect a Google search like

'How to crack a safe'

would have the answer.
  • First.Aspect
    Locksmith will now say there's nothing he can do because someone fucked up the lock by trying to drill through it.

I think of amateur locksmithing in the same way as super glue. It always makes things worse.
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    Pep wrote:
    Will take a photo and post it.
    Germany here. Most houses have outside postboxes.

is this the irony thread?!
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,411
    Locksmith will now say there's nothing he can do because someone farked up the lock by trying to drill through it.

If they are anything like the locksmiths on Rogue Traders, they'll probably take an SDS drill to it, destroy the wall behind it and then charge you £400 for the privilege !

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• First.Aspect
    PhotoNic69 wrote:
    Locksmith will now say there's nothing he can do because someone farked up the lock by trying to drill through it.

If they are anything like the locksmiths on Rogue Traders, they'll probably take an SDS drill to it, destroy the wall behind it and then charge you £400 for the privilege !
    I think everything now points to using an angle grinder to get to the post, then using the same angle grinder to cut a slot in the front door. You could put a flap on it to keep rain out.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    blimey fellas.......

get big screwdriver and hammer
    smash screwdriver into lock
    turn screwdriver
    lock opens

what kind of formative years did yot lot have?
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    lesfirth wrote:

It is this mind set that is buggering up the planet. Why replace a lock when you can replace the entire box?....

PS What MF said.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,217
    Misread this as Last Post Key and was going to reply that it's normally B flat major.
  • lesfirth
    lesfirth Posts: 1,382
    Rolf F said:

lesfirth wrote:

It is this mind set that is buggering up the planet. Why replace a lock when you can replace the entire box?....

PS What MF said.

I have to admit that that the effect on the planet was not my primary concern when advising the OP with a solution to his problem and perhaps that should have priority over the OPs time and bank balance.
    In the unlikely event that the post box had survived MFs lock removal it is quite possible that the generation of the electricity used by the OP in powering his computer, while he tried to locate a suitable replacement lock , would have a worse effect on the planet.
    I assume there that the OP was going to recycle his post box and that he was not using his computer on one of the rare windy and sunny days when generation by renewables was marginally greater than that from fossil fuels.
  • manglier
    manglier Posts: 1,208
    Try using a Cobalt drill bit instead. They are really hard and what is used to drill through Titanium firewalls. Be sure to wear eye protection as they are prone to shattering if abused.