Cav

Comments

• Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,875
    Flite wrote:
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cycling/50104484
    It has been difficult to find! I've been watching online by following the bbc link above.
    But it doesn't seem to do anything untill the coverage actually starts.
    6.00pm GMT this evening. IMHO the coverage has been good.
    Atmosphere in the velodrome looks fantastic.
    But I haven't a clue how the scoring works......
    And I haven't found any regular follow-up reports of the racing on BBC, and no highlights programme.
    Get the feeling they are showing it because they have the rights, but their heart is not in it.
    Definitely worth a watch if you can find it

Scoring isn't hard. Key is the laps, followed by points. Points are accumulated in the various races, and depend on the race type.. Every 100 points gains you a lap. Alternatively you can gain a lap on the field in all races except the derney race.

So, you could have the most points but not be the winners because you are a lap or more behind.

Cav looks to have found some good track form at least as he's repeatedly been beating Viviani who is on form too.
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,312
    I'll try to watch it when I'm back. The wifi here doesn't seem to manage it. Thanks
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,875
    Cracking final hour Maddison chase with the lead changing numerous times as teams attacked each other.
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 4,993
    Good finale.

Cav didn’t seem to be very warm again with Doull at the post race interview - looked the same last night too, when Doull came over during the interview Cav completely blanked him.
    After an awful two years I thought Cav has a lot of positives to take away from this, but maybe still not meeting his personal goals.
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    Mad_Malx wrote:
    Good finale.

Cav didn’t seem to be very warm again with Doull at the post race interview - looked the same last night too, when Doull came over during the interview Cav completely blanked him.
    After an awful two years I thought Cav has a lot of positives to take away from this, but maybe still not meeting his personal goals.

well probably because Cav is thinking they could have won that...there was a stat they showed on the madison last night, Cav was active for 65% of the race vs Doulls 35%, which seemed whilst you dont expect a 50/50 split a touch unbalanced
  • dabber
    dabber Posts: 1,924
    awavey wrote:
    Mad_Malx wrote:
    Good finale.

well probably because Cav is thinking they could have won that...there was a stat they showed on the madison last night, Cav was active for 65% of the race vs Doulls 35%, which seemed whilst you dont expect a 50/50 split a touch unbalanced

I was sorry to see Cav revert to his surly side in the post race interview....I like the guy but at times he makes it hard.
    “You may think that; I couldn’t possibly comment!”

Wilier Cento Uno SR/Wilier Mortirolo/Specialized Roubaix Comp/Kona Hei Hei/Calibre Bossnut
  • flite
    flite Posts: 219
    I would think he was massively disappointed to loose so near the end.
    Have you never lost a race and just wanted to hide in a corner and sulk?
    If you care enough, it hurts.
    I know all the PR stuff comes with the job, but I couldn't so it.
    But yes, he was plain ill-mannered to Doull.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,718
    Surely this is a nothing race for Cav though given his career - shows how competitive he is - you probably don't want to be his family playing Monopoly with him at Christmas. I guess maybe given the last few years and given the faith shown in him by his new team he feels under a bit of pressure to produce some kind of evidence he can justify it
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • timothyw
    timothyw Posts: 2,482
    Yeah, there's no such thing as a nothing race for competitors like Cav, but more significantly he would have loved to beat Viviani on the velodrome having lost out in Rio, and more generally having lacked any big results over the past couple of years. This race meant something, especially coming into an Olympic year where I presume Cav is aiming at the track.

The fact he went on the attack in the last 8 laps in the vain hope of somehow gaining a lap/putting the Italians in trouble showed what it meant to him and how much he wanted to try and win the thing.

Obviously missing that sprint (was it third to last one?) was a huge tactical error, and if he felt Doull was responsible then understandable that he didn't much feel like being matey afterwards (especially after working for 65% of the race...)

Either way enjoyed watching the racing on iplayer, and really kicking myself that when a buddy mentioned it we didn't get organised to buy the tickets.
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,439
    Flite wrote:
    I would think he was massively disappointed to loose so near the end.
    Have you never lost a race and just wanted to hide in a corner and sulk?
    If you care enough, it hurts.
    I know all the PR stuff comes with the job, but I couldn't so it.
    But yes, he was plain ill-mannered to Doull.

If Cavendish won the second to last sprint they'd have been level on points going in to the last. But he never.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • Cav was shown going around the track base having a chat and laugh with Doulll after the race finished. Think it was teh interview he didn't want to do
  • flite
    flite Posts: 219
    Does anyone know if there is coverage in the UK of Ghent 6 days, please
    BBC don't seem to be covering it.
    Their reporters must be busy elsewhere......
  • Big crash for him on a flying lap tonight. Back on his feet but that had to hurt.

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,215
    Can't work out how he crashed from that but that's a huge slide. He'll be picking out splinters for a few days, must have gone at least 30m after crashing.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    flite said:

I don't remember seeing much of a TV presence when I was there

...I did spend quite a lot of time putting friends in wheelie bins though, and by the end of the night the track seemed to be moving in very funny ways...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,741
    edited November 2019
    flite said:

Bad luck,
    Sporza only ever have live coverage on Sunday.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • ddraver said:

by the end of the night the track seemed to be moving in very funny ways...

Think Cavendish had a similar problem, tbf.

• ddraver
    What the flip is happening there?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cycling/50407739

Another rider down, this time seriously injured...
    - @ddraver
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    Cav and Keisse won the Madison
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,200
    ddraver said:

What the flip is happening there?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cycling/50407739

Another rider down, this time seriously injured...

Shit happens. Contact in a sprint. He's recovering OK, by the sound of it.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,439
    Does anyone know what his aims are for the year? Tour De France, Olympic Madison, just finishing some races?
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,231

Only been able to see clips of the 6 day, but Cav looks like he's really, really enjoying it.

I think most of us would really love doing a 6 day if we had the legs and brain for it. It's a race fundamentally for the entertainment and you're sprinting for lines and racing your mates all night and the beered up guys watching you are loving it.

Which cycling fan wouldn't enjoy doing that?
  • ddraver
    gsk82 said:

Does anyone know what his aims are for the year? Tour De France, Olympic Madison, just finishing some races?

'Not be ill' I reckon...
    - @ddraver
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    Like 2016 if he stays injury free, he should peak for the Olympics (and by that meaning he will be back to tour stage winning form hopefully). the caveat is his health. I hope he does stay healthy as he's clearly fast enough.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,200
    philbar72 said:

Like 2016 if he stays injury free, he should peak for the Olympics (and by that meaning he will be back to tour stage winning form hopefully). the caveat is his health. I hope he does stay healthy as he's clearly fast enough.

For the track? Not sure the Olympic RR parcours is going to suit him.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • ddraver
    'meanin' no dis'respec' sir, but if he has a 'good tour' can you actually think of a better option for the Madison if they can find him a partner?

(Whats Gee up to in Summer..?)
    - @ddraver
  • rick_chasey
    ddraver said:

'meanin' no dis'respec' sir, but if he has a 'good tour' can you actually think of a better option for the Madison if they can find him a partner?

Tryna win the Tour, no?
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134

ddraver said:

Tryna win the Tour, no?
    Giro and Olympics? Depends on what state Froome is in, but I can't see Ineos taking Bernal, Froome and Thomas to the Tour and the Olympics gives Thomas a nice excuse to skip it this year.
  • rick_chasey
    edited November 2019
    Ridiculous having the three most recent Tour winners all on the same team. What a bizarre state of affairs.
  • carbonclem
    carbonclem Posts: 1,579
    Cycling Podcast said that Cav has no plans for the Olympics this year.
    2020/2021/2022 Metric Century Challenge Winner