Seemingly trivial things that intrigue you

Comments

• briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,861
    rjsterry said:

pinno said:

I see your point. I also see nitpicking.

...though I do agree about Newton's flawed theory of Gravity. But again, my point was that I was countering the claim that I was dismissive of science or the pursuit of knowledge.
    Only silly all encompassing theories about the universe.

It's no different from what Newton did: make a series of observations and then try to work out what is happening.

An example. One of the results of proposed by Einstein's Theory of Relativity was that the universe was either expanding or contracting. At the time it was thought that the universe was a fixed size, and indeed Einstein himself initially rejected the idea of an expanding universe. Later, Hubble and separately Lemaître observed that galaxies were actually moving apart from one another and moving away faster the further away from us they were. In other words not only are objects moving through space, but space itself is expanding. This confirmed the conclusion that Einstein had previously rejected, showing his calculations to be correct. Run that expansion backwards to T=0 and you get the Big Bang.

The other point is that fundamental physical laws apply to all situations across the entire universe (otherwise they are just a special case). So our understanding of gravity or thermodynamics is as much a (silly) all encompassing theory about the universe as the idea of the Big Bang.
    No, no, no, you've got it all wrong. Manc33 told us that the laws of physics are different in outer space.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,459
    forehead said:

monkimark said:

Waterman has invaded my Spotify playlist too!
    Is he trying to start a comeback?

Spotify's algorithm. I mean what can possibly cause this?

EHuUGUNW4AIipsU.jpg

Spotify recommended The Wurzels to me this week.
    Go with it, it'll change your life.
    Look up a few of the Skimmity Hitchers songs. Like a sort of modern and funnier version of the Wurzels.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,626
    Stevo_666 said:

forehead said:

monkimark said:

EHuUGUNW4AIipsU.jpg

Look up a few of the Skimmity Hitchers songs. Like a sort of modern and funnier version of the Wurzels.
    As a cider drinker I'd have thought that the Wurzels would be perfect for you.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,320

I'm slightly concerned that @pinno has fallen through a hole in the space/time/gravity continuum and is stuck in an infinite time travel loop

It took me some time t get out of that continuum.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • forehead
    forehead Posts: 180
    Stevo_666 said:

forehead said:

monkimark said:

EHuUGUNW4AIipsU.jpg

The Wurzels aren't funny, they're a very accomplished and serious band, I'll have thee know! :-)
    Cube - Peloton
    Cannondale - CAAD10
  • pinno
    rjsterry said:

pinno said:

I see your point. I also see nitpicking.

...though I do agree about Newton's flawed theory of Gravity. But again, my point was that I was countering the claim that I was dismissive of science or the pursuit of knowledge.
    Only silly all encompassing theories about the universe.

It's no different from what Newton did: make a series of observations and then try to work out what is happening.
    Well, it is, because my first thought when I think of Isaac Newton is Newton's Laws.
    For every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. etc
    Which was introduced to me when I did Engineering and his larger, Universal theories, aren't at the forefront.

As for the rest of your post, i'll dig out some stuff I have on this apparent, expanding universe and the flaws in that supposition.

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,738
    Big Bang origin theory. What went bang?
    More importantly, where did it come from? 🤔
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • pinno
    pblakeney said:

Big Bang origin theory. What went bang?
    More importantly, where did it come from? 🤔

Never mind that, why does my post count keep oscillating?

I hit 37k a week ago. This morning it was 36,500 odd and now it's back up to just a smidge over 37k again.
    Maybe my roaming post count is a metaphor for the Universe; an ebb and flow.
  • Stevo_666 said:

forehead said:

monkimark said:

EHuUGUNW4AIipsU.jpg

I think I get these recommendations (Benny hill the other weekly) because I listen to more Lonely Island than is reasonable. Anything else humourous I generally find pretty much unlistenable more than once though.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    Network Marketing Legends ...

Well - I hadn't heard of him - until one person I'm friends with on FB commented on his post ...
    Just looking at his posts gives me the creeps ...

This guy has (in 5 years) built a business of over 300k customers using social media .. apparently ... not that it specifies what makes a customer, what they're buying or if they're repeat customers ... but hey - 300 thousand people - can't be wrong?
    Clicked on a link to book his next stage show - £150+vat for a ticket (40% off! - wow!)

Here's what to expect

load of guff
    "free stuff"
    "Special Announcement at the Event"
    "Much more"

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,738
    Get rich quick scammers. "Send me $100 and I'll explain how to get rich."
    How can people not see right through this?
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    pblakeney said:

Get rich quick scammers. "Send me $100 and I'll explain how to get rich."
    How can people not see right through this?

exactly ...
  • Stevo_666
    rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

forehead said:

monkimark said:

EHuUGUNW4AIipsU.jpg

Confession time: I did go see The Wurzels live a couple of years back (a mate suggested a left field excuse to drink lots of cider, honest :) ). The Skimmity Hitchers were the support act and were way better.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Stevo_666
    forehead said:

Stevo_666 said:

forehead said:

monkimark said:

EHuUGUNW4AIipsU.jpg

The Wurzels aren't funny, they're a very accomplished and serious band, I'll have thee know! :-)
    You're not too far wrong there :p
  • Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

forehead said:

monkimark said:

EHuUGUNW4AIipsU.jpg

I think I get these recommendations (Benny hill the other weekly) because I listen to more Lonely Island than is reasonable. Anything else humourous I generally find pretty much unlistenable more than once though.
    They were a great laugh live. Have a search for these covers:
    - Bad Town on the Coast (Bad Moon on the Rise - Credence Clearwater Revival)
    - Viva Lyme Regis ((Viva Las Vagas - Elvis)
    - Trippin' on Moonshine (Walking on Sunshine - Katrina and the Waves).
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,479
    Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

forehead said:

monkimark said:

EHuUGUNW4AIipsU.jpg

Confession time: I did go see The Wurzels live a couple of years back (a mate suggested a left field excuse to drink lots of cider, honest :) ). The Skimmity Hitchers were the support act and were way better.
    I've Got a Brand New Combine Harvester and I am a Cider Drinker were two of the first records I ever owned as a kid.

• webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    Pross said:

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

forehead said:

monkimark said:

EHuUGUNW4AIipsU.jpg

I've Got a Brand New Combine Harvester and I am a Cider Drinker were two of the first records I ever owned as a kid.

That’s the sort of secret that you should never share.

• morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    webboo said:

Pross said:

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

forehead said:

monkimark said:

EHuUGUNW4AIipsU.jpg

That’s the sort of secret that you should never share.

Nah, you've got to love your childhood stuff.

Wombles was my first record. Either wombling free or remember you're a womble. Can't remember which.
  • david7m
    david7m Posts: 636
    edited November 2019
    Why is the standard of driving vastly improved on toll roads? I go on the M6 toll 4 times a week and there are indicators and lane discipline all over the shop.
  • pinno
    david7m said:

Why is the standard of driving vastly improved on toll roads? I go on the M6 toll 4 times a week and there are indicators and lane discipline all over the shop.

The tolls keep the chav's off?
  • david7m
    david7m Posts: 636
    pinno said:

david7m said:

Lol :smiley:
  • Pross
    pinno said:

david7m said:

I'd have expected it to be worse as it encourages business users who can reclaim the expense.
  • Pross
    Trying to work out who's who with the name changes since the forum reboot.
  • Longshot
    Longshot Posts: 940
    david7m said:

Less old people.
    You can fool some of the people all of the time. Concentrate on those people.
  • forehead
    forehead Posts: 180
    longshot said:

david7m said:

Fewer old people.
    FTFY
    Cube - Peloton
    Cannondale - CAAD10
  • Longshot
    Longshot Posts: 940
    forehead said:

longshot said:

david7m said:

Fewer old people.
    FTFY
    Damn, I hate that. I've never got my head round that one.
    You can fool some of the people all of the time. Concentrate on those people.
  • haydenm
    haydenm Posts: 2,997
    longshot said:

forehead said:

longshot said:

david7m said:

Fewer old people.
    FTFY
    Fewer is distinct, less is continuous. You wouldn't say 'fewer water' but you might say 'fewer particles of water'
  • haydenm said:

longshot said:

forehead said:

longshot said:

david7m said:

Fewer old people.
    FTFY
    Fewer is distinct, less is continuous. You wouldn't say 'fewer water' but you might say 'fewer molecules of water'
    FTFY
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • haydenm
    haydenm Posts: 2,997

haydenm said:

longshot said:

forehead said:

longshot said:

david7m said:

Fewer old people.
    FTFY
    Fewer is distinct, less is continuous. You wouldn't say 'fewer water' but you might say 'fewer molecules of water'
    FTFY
    Damn, I hate that, I've never got my head around that one. ;)
  • Stevo_666
    longshot said:

david7m said:

Less old people.
    Probably fewer young 'uns as well.