Wheel fell out

I cycled to Tesco last night and when I went to lock my bike up and lifted my bike up a little to put it in position to lock it the rear wheel fell out.
I got the wheel back in and cycled home ok,but noticed play in the back wheel that hadn't been there before to my knowledge.
I had taken the bike to a LBS this week as I thought my brakes needed bledding and the wheel was slightly out of true,so I gave him new pads to fit,on leaving the shop he said that he would see if all of those things did need doing,and I was pleased and said I was a full time carer so that would be great as I haven't got a lot of money,so I was so pleased when on collecting that he said the wheel was less than 2mm out of true so didn't need doing and that the brakes didn't need bleeding either.
That leads me to wondering why the rear wheel suddenly has play in what I assume is the cones and the wheel fell out of the drop outs a few days after he did the work.
I don't think there is any point in taking it back to that chap as I can't prove it's anything to do with him,I think I'm just going to book it in for a £60 service with a guy that has a very good reputation in the next town to me.
Has anyone any thoughts on what has happened?

Comments

• fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Er - has it got a quick release ?

And truing a wheel is very easy if you have the nipple key and access to youtube.
  • warwickbear
    warwickbear Posts: 21
    edited November 2019
    Yes it has quick release and hadn't been touched by anyone since leaving the bike shop,just odd that suddenly play in cones and then the wheel falls off 3 days after collecting from bike shop
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    Your wheel won’t fall out because of loose cones. It will though if the quick release is not done up correctly.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    It's nothing to do with the shop if you took it out of there 3 days ago. Presumably you'd lifted the bike at some point in the trip home.

I know I've done a 3 mile descent and then noticed my front QR was undone. And this was on a custom frame with no 'lawyers lips' - I had to stop quite gently and tighten it up. No idea how that happened but it was in the middle of a 60 mile ride and all was well when I left home.

Do you know how to use QR's ?
  • photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,410
    Checking your QR's should be part of your M-Check everytime you go out on your bike.

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• warwickbear
    edited November 2019
    ok so nothing to do with the cones then that must have suddenly developed and as for the QR he obviously hadn't tightened it properly,it's a lesson learned I suppose to check them before each ride,it was the 3rd mile cycled since leaving the bike shop,at least I'm still alive and have learnt not to take it back to that national chain again

• steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,443

............at least I'm still alive and have learnt not to take it back to that national chain again.

Surely you can't mean Halfords? :o
  • warwickbear
    edited November 2019
    Haha no the other famous store,the bloke did say how awful they were at Halfords,he was honest though he said Halfords had sacked him,he was fully qualified I just assumed it was a personal dispute
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 4,993
    Any chance that some nobend has undone the QR while unattended?
  • No it was the first time I had used it after getting home from the bike shop that day,I'm glad it was a wet night and I cycled to the supermarket slowly,as I said it will be something I will check every time I use it now,so it was a good lesson learned

• photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,410
    Here is a good guide to the M Check to keep you safe and your bike in a rideable condition.

https://www.sustrans.org.uk/our-blog/get-active/2019/everyday-walking-and-cycling/the-m-check-for-your-bike-in-11-steps/

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• Here is a good guide to the M Check to keep you safe and your bike in a rideable condition.

https://www.sustrans.org.uk/our-blog/get-active/2019/everyday-walking-and-cycling/the-m-check-for-your-bike-in-11-steps/

Thanks