New Epixon or used Reba?

Hi, I am considering upgrading the Rockshox Recon Silver TK (Coil) fork, on my Rockrider 8.1 bike with either a new Epixon or perhaps a used Reba. I have researched both in depth and particularly with the Reba, there seem to be so many different flavours. The Reba is applauded for having Motion Control amongst other things, which the Epixon seems not to have. On either, I would prefer remote lockout.
My Recon has 100mm of travel...would replacement with a fork with longer travel...such as 120mm, be a problem?
This is more about maximising the quality of the bike within what I'm willing to spend rather than necessity as it is highly unlikely I will be doing any mad terrain cycling.
I'm a bit bothered that if I go for the Reba...for around a 100 quid, used, I am risking getting something with heavy wear or hidden damage...although I am fine with carrying out the likes of a Lower Leg service or Damper Lube replacement. The Epixon would carry non of these risks with being new for only 50 or 60 quid more....but is it as serviceable and is the lack of Motion control, a major failing?

Comments

• I'd go for the RS any day over Suntour. If a susp fork is only costing £50-60 new then it's not going to be much cop either. The cheaper Suntours are not trying to repair. The Reba is a good quality fork. If buying second-hand then ask questions eg what year/model, when was it last serviced & by whom. I'd be to see it to check any wear or marks/dings in stanchions & lowers. Also you need to check that the fork will fit your headset - tapered/non-tapered
  • The steerer is straight 1 and 1/8inch...the Epixon is around £250 in the shops.... but there are a few on ebay for around £170 which is around 50-60 quid more than a used Reba. The Epixon and upwards is the only Suntour I would consider. Some people appear to really rate them
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    'Motion Control' is what Rockshox call a certain damper, as the Epixon is made by Suntour the chances of it using a Rockshox name are slim to, well, non existent.

Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • larkim
    larkim Posts: 2,474
    maringirl said:

I'd go for the RS any day over Suntour. If a susp fork is only costing £50-60 new then it's not going to be much cop either. The cheaper Suntours are not trying to repair. The Reba is a good quality fork. If buying second-hand then ask questions eg what year/model, when was it last serviced & by whom. I'd be to see it to check any wear or marks/dings in stanchions & lowers. Also you need to check that the fork will fit your headset - tapered/non-tapered

The Suntour isn't £50-60, it's £50-60 more than a used Reba. Epixon isn't the cheap suntour, the air Suntour forks are really quite good, starting with the air XCR (?), then Raidon and then Epixon next up. Performance wise, a good buy.

I had a Recon Gold air fork on my last bike and the Raidon on my Bizango feels far more competent. Not that I'm a great judge of these things, but it feels smooth and progressive and I get the sense I feel like a better rider on it.
    2015 Canyon Nerve AL 6.0 (son #1's)
    2011 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (son #4s)
    2013 Decathlon Triban 3 (red) (mine)
    2019 Hoy Bonaly 26" Disc (son #2s)
    2018 Voodoo Bizango (mine)
    2018 Voodoo Maji (wife's)
  • I'm leaning towards a new Epixon....it saves the possibility buying more trouble and people who have them seem to rate them
    Thanks for everyone's input
  • mattyfez
    mattyfez Posts: 638
    I'm happy with my epixon, nice fork, reasonably light too, if you want to spend less, the next model down is Raidon, which get good reviews too.
  • johnp801
    johnp801 Posts: 52
    edited November 2019
    I think I'm going for the Epixon...there seem to be a few variations of it, (beyond steerer type and wheel size) which I'm not sure about though. The one I've been looking it is called the Epixon 9...I'm guessing that is the 2019 model? I think I can get that for £170...I'd like remote control. I'm pretty confident it will be much better than a Rockshox Recon....maybe on a par with a Reba
  • mattyfez
    edited November 2019
    There only seems to be 3 types currently, for 26, 27.5 and 29 inch wheels in straight or tapered steerer.
    https://www.srsuntour.com/products/fork/?Model[]=Epixon&Travel[]=0&Travel[]=200https://srsuntour.com/products/fork/?Model%5B%5D=Epixon&Travel%5B%5D=0&Travel%5B%5D=200

Beyond that, each can be specified as RLR or LOR.

RLR is remote lockout, with rebound adjust, LOR is the same but without remote lock out.

https://www.srsuntour.com/fileadmin/user_upload/Downloads/Consumer/Bike/Fork Glossary/SRS-2K15-Fork-Glossary-EN.pdf
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The Epixon is generally considered on a par with a mid range Reba.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • This is all very helpful, folks. Many thanks
  • mattyfez
    edited November 2019
    Older ones aren't called epixon 9, just epixon and have gold adanoized stantions with different decals like mine
    https://i.imgur.com/nzhvmoN.jpg

Upgrading from a cheap rockshox coil fork to an air fork will make a big difference.. Low end coil forks are basically crap and heavy. Regardless of whether they are suntour or rockshox or something else.
    Equaly people running really high end forks seem to favour coil over air, but we're not talking about midrange forks then, more super expensive pro stuff.

Air forks are where it's at for mid range stuff.

It's worth also budgeting for a shock pump as well though, so you can set the pressure /sag to your preference.

You can usualy pick them up pretty cheap second hand, think I paid £15 for what looked like a brand new one of these, whilst not digital, it's a good shock pump

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Rock-Shox-00-4315-023-010-High-Pressure-Black/dp/B005543YUE/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=rockshox+pump&qid=1573767539&sr=8-1

• johnp801
    johnp801 Posts: 52
    edited November 2019
    I've factored in the cost of a shock pump...I think it was Chain Reaction where I saw a Lifeline Shock pump for a tenner in a Flash sale.
    I think the Epixon out of the factory comes set at 110lbs where for my weight, (200lbs) need it at around 92lbs. I've lost 26lbs in weight since June, with cycling again and want to lose around another 14lbs so will be needing the shock pump.
    This Rockshox Recon needs replacing..it probably needs Helicoil attention to the post mounts, the lower legs are crusty inside as I discovered when giving it a lower leg service and there is corrosion on one of the stanchions beneath the lower legs. Surprisingly, it still works the way it is supposed to after replacing the Wiper Seals and foam rings and oil.
    However, a new (Lighter) air fork will finish this bike (Rockrider 8.1) off, upgrade wise, to my satisfaction. I've put a new Rear derailleur on, new cassette, new chain, new front derailleur (Shimano XT), new chainset (Shimano XT Hollowtech) and pedals, new brakes, new tyres and new gear cables and outers.
    I'll probably have to buy a Steerer cutting guide, too
    Mattyfez...your bike looks great
  • Finished up getting a Reba