Dry feet

Hi all

I’m about to start commuting to work on my road bike. Up until now I’ve only been a fair weather cyclist, but as it’s autumn/winter and I’m in Scotland I think it’s fair to anticipate some rain.

I’ll be using my wind proof biblong tights and regular clip shoes, both of which will repel a small amount of rain but neither are “waterproof”. Is there a way of keeping your feet reasonably dry without spending hundreds of waterproof bike boots?

Any advice welcome! Thanks in advance.

Comments

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    If it's properly wet, then nothing - nothing - will keep your feet properly dry. The best you can hope for is keeping them warm.
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Mudguards are your best bet; most of what gets your feet when is what your front wheel flicks up rather than what's coming straight down.

I find overshoes are ok for about half an hour and after that you may as well not be wearing them. One issue is that your socks are designed to wick moisture so as soon as they get wet at the top they move that water to the bottom of the shoe. Having waterproof bibs means the water runs down them and into your socks.

This year I've gone all out but it's taken me years to accumulate the kit.

So, waterproof cap, waterproof jacket, waterproof bibs OVER spatz neoprene overshoes. Yet to ride in any serious rain, might get the chance on Thursday. I expect the water to win, it's just a question of when.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Mudguards and long flaps and then neoprene overshoes. I've done 4 hour rides in the rain without getting waterlogged.
  • sub2
    sub2 Posts: 22
    I commuted 25 miles a day for about 15 years all weathers, I tried everything.
    What I eventually used was a pair of sailing / deck wellies, much neater than the likes of what you’d use to dig in the garden.
    Only footwear that kept my feet dry.
  • figbat
    figbat Posts: 680
    I use waterproof socks (Aldi versions of Sealskinz - Planet-X currently doing similar ones) for regular rain and back up with overshoes for proper sheeting down. My feet get damp from sweating but not the rain.
    Cube Reaction GTC Pro 29 for the lumpy stuff
    Cannondale Synapse alloy with 'guards for the winter roads
    Fuji Altamira 2.7 for the summer roads
    Trek 830 Mountain Track frame turned into a gravel bike - for anywhere & everywhere
  • fenix
    sub2 said:

I commuted 25 miles a day for about 15 years all weathers, I tried everything.
    What I eventually used was a pair of sailing / deck wellies, much neater than the likes of what you’d use to dig in the garden.
    Only footwear that kept my feet dry.

I think we need pics.
  • What about Goretex shes or Shoes which are are actually produced for trailunning. Have you tested them?
  • fenix
    I'd not even wear Goretex shoes for running. Once the water is in - and it will get in as there's holes in the top that your feet go in - the water will stay there.

Plus I'd rather be connected to the pedals.

• asprilla
    I wear goretex shoes for walking the dog. As above, I wouldn't wear them for running.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • You could try the long version of the Velotoze overshoes, they fit very tightly around the ankle to keep the water from getting in down your leg, but you'd need to put them under any tights though.
    'Hello to Jason Isaacs'
  • drhaggis
    drhaggis Posts: 1,150
    Where in Scotland? Edinbrugh isn't really that rainy, and overshoes + mudguards will be OK for >95% of the days.
  • fenix

You could try the long version of the Velotoze overshoes, they fit very tightly around the ankle to keep the water from getting in down your leg, but you'd need to put them under any tights though.

Wouldnt you just be filling up with sweat instead though ?
  • asprilla
    edited November 2019
    I'm trying out Spatz Legalz this winter, but we've not really had a lot of rain yet (at least not in London during rush hour). I've worn them for a few cold days and they do a great job of keeping my feet warm, although you do get a bit sweaty round the calves.

I'm generally wearing them under Endura Stealth Lite II bibs, which are also waterproof.

They are expensive so my main concern at the moment is durability of the toes with all the stop/start of commuting in London.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • fenix
    How long is your commute asprilla ?
  • asprilla
    1hr15ish on the way in, 1hr25ish on the way home. 21 miles each way.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • fenix said:

You could try the long version of the Velotoze overshoes, they fit very tightly around the ankle to keep the water from getting in down your leg, but you'd need to put them under any tights though.

Wouldnt you just be filling up with sweat instead though ?
    Yes, that's very much their downside I believe.
    'Hello to Jason Isaacs'
  • Only used them once or twice so far but I'm optimistic about including these in my setup here in Glasgow. As mentioned by others, waterproof neoprene overshoes are excellent as long as you can keep from wicking water down into them via your socks - these are a bit of a stop gap but for the price seem worthwhile so far. https://www.wiggle.co.uk/gripgrab-hi-vis-cyclingaiter/
    Custom Albannach Torragar [BUILD IN PROGRESS]
    2020 Ribble CGR SL
    2019 Vitus Vitesse Evo CRS Disc
  • bobones
    bobones Posts: 1,215
    edited November 2019
    Just cut the wrists off these:

https://www.bmstores.co.uk/products/heavy-duty-tough-gloves-2pk-324620

I used these the last couple of winters with Specialized Defroster boots that had a massive gap at the top which needed covered, but they don't stop the wicking problem. I now use Shimano RW5 boots and Spatz Pro long overshoes for wet rides and this combination looks to be a winner in the dry feet stakes. On cold days I use Rapha Deep Winter socks and Decathlon foot warmers

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/feet-warmers-x-30-id_8373956.html