Overtake or Hang back?

I'm a tad autistic and so when someone cycles up behind me, hangs about for a bit, then overtakes but then goes slower than I was going, should I slow down and keep my distance or what? And is the person who did that a bit creepy or is that normal? Does he want me to draft him?

Comments

• fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    More likely that he's overestimating his ability.

If I were you I'd probably stay on the wheel for a bit and then cruise past but keep the pace up and they won't be able to stick with you.
  • Thank you, I will try that.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Presumably we're not talking about 'actual' racing here, so just ride at your own pace. What others do is irrelevant.
  • amrushton
    amrushton Posts: 1,249
    Just keep going at your pace but dont be surprised if they start to come past you. Have it every morning with one rider. i just sit on his wheel as the next lights are always 100m away
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,595
    If you do choose to repass then make sure that you can do so comfortably.
    Chances are that if you do repass then the race is on!
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    I can see the irritation - you're sitting there minding your own business - someone overtakes and slows down - hmm ... sorry - but you're now going too slow for me - I was comfortable before - so overtake and sit at my own pace - they then promptly sit on your wheel - then a little while later overtake and slow down ...

I have no issue with someone sat on my wheel if that is their want - I don't mind helping someone along, I'll even work with someone to get an overall higher speed if they can put in an effort - but don't go past and slow down ... that just annoys me - I'd be tempted to blast past and stay at the higher pace just to drop them ...
  • photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,410

... someone cycles up behind me, hangs about for a bit, then overtakes but then goes slower than I was going.....

Has this happen to me once. However, she was very fit and had a lovely shape so I really didn't mind! B)

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• ... someone cycles up behind me, hangs about for a bit, then overtakes but then goes slower than I was going.....

Has this happen to me once. However, she was very fit and had a lovely shape so I really didn't mind! B)

Are you sure she slowed down?

• photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,410

... someone cycles up behind me, hangs about for a bit, then overtakes but then goes slower than I was going.....

Are you sure she slowed down?

No idea mate. I was transfixed!!!! ;)

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• amrushton
    amrushton Posts: 1,249
    have that every morning with one guy. I just sit on his wheel. We get to a local hill and I can get past him but continue to sit there - it's just the commute and another set of light 100m ahead. I took an alternative route the other day and popped out 5 miles later 10 secs in front of him. He was annoyed!!