Seemingly trivial things that annoy you

Comments

• Sachets of ketchup

Especially when in an eatery that should know better.

Also adding sugar so maybe my problem is with sachets in half decent places
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,196

Sachets of ketchup

Pain to open, single use plastic.

seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,217
    People who can't clap in time with music that has a very obvious beat.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    pross said:

People who can't clap in time with music that has a very obvious beat.

But clapping in time is so easy ... I prefer a syncopated rhythm ... ;)
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,511

Sachets of ketchup

Especially when in an eatery that should know better.

Also adding sugar so maybe my problem is with sachets in half decent places
    The weekend before last, I bought two burgers and fries for £3. Ketchup in a nice squeezable bottle. If they can manage, there is no excuse for any eatery.
  • slowbike
    Can't think if this is intrigue or annoy - so I'll post it here ...

Just looking at the local paper's website - it's part of the JPI Media group. Not that that should make any difference ...

The "news" today is basically a load of pictures and stories about the remembrance day services ..

Remembrance day in [place] - in picutures - I'm sure it was a moving ceremony - but does it need reporting on - it's just one of many thousand local ceremonies. Nobody took photos during our 2 minutes silence on the club run ... nobody reported that a bunch of cyclists stood still for 2 minutes ... nobody needed to. It's a personal thing that needed nothing more than to be respected.
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    Most local newspapers are going to be a thing of the past, they are going bust all over the country. They struggle to being any local news that hasn't already reached people on social media and they also rarely will report anything contentious either.

So, when there's a stack of photos they can take, they do, that way all the aging population that have always bought the paper get more of the comfortable same. It's what those people want. If you're after real news, you don't get it from local newspapers these days.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,597
    So many things in the news this morning.
    Going “woke” by reusing Christmas decorations. When did people stop reusing decorations? Why and who?
    Probably the same ones that don’t send cards but make charitable contribution instead. Nothing stopping sending cards and making a contribution. We can all see that laziness is the real reason.
    Shipping propulsion going green and trying to come up with new fuels. If only someone could devise a method to harness the wind.
    I’m sure there was another but that will do for one morning.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,244
    slowbike said:

Can't think if this is intrigue or annoy - so I'll post it here ...

Just looking at the local paper's website - it's part of the JPI Media group. Not that that should make any difference ...

The "news" today is basically a load of pictures and stories about the remembrance day services ..

Remembrance day in [place] - in picutures - I'm sure it was a moving ceremony - but does it need reporting on - it's just one of many thousand local ceremonies. Nobody took photos during our 2 minutes silence on the club run ... nobody reported that a bunch of cyclists stood still for 2 minutes ... nobody needed to. It's a personal thing that needed nothing more than to be respected.

Part of the culture wars, innit. (ironically).
  • Longshot
    Longshot Posts: 940
    edited November 2019
    pblakeney said:

So many things in the news this morning.
    Nothing stopping sending cards and making a contribution. We can all see that laziness is the real reason.

Don't disagree with your main point here but I find it annoying that we have got to a point where we send or give cards to people that we see. I assumed the whole point of a card was to pass on the season's greetings to those whom we couldn't say it to in person. I appreciate it helps Hallmark out though.
    You can fool some of the people all of the time. Concentrate on those people.
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    I've never given cards, but i don't give a donation either.

I've always found christmas cards to be pretty pointless, even when i was a kid, and a huge waste of resources.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • pinno
    pblakeney said:

Shipping propulsion going green and trying to come up with new fuels. If only someone could devise a method to harness the wind.

With the prevailing winds, you would have t send cards West to East.
    That means if you want to send a card from Dudley to Bridgnorth, you would have to go around the globe.
    Forget North/South, that would be a logistical nightmare.

• slowbike
    pinno said:

pblakeney said:

That means if you want to send a card from Dudley to Bridgnorth, you would have to go around the globe.

Er - never heard of reaching?

We got to the americas and back on the prevailing winds ... it's doable - just not quite as time reliable as an engine ...
  • pinno
    No but i've heard of tacking.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,487
    edited November 2019
    pinno said:

pblakeney said:

You would just need to tack. Ah, should have scrolled down.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • slowbike
    pinno said:

No but i've heard of tacking.

That's just a method of changing direction ...
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    Beautiful morning today: cold (-5.5°C), frosty, full moon gradually replaced by glorious sunrise, amazing views of snow-covered mountains to the north.
    (not my pic but that's what it looked like this morning: work is the town the other side of the valley)

First day of the season on the winter tyres: gosh it's hard work but there's something reassuring about the bacon-frying crackle of the studs, never mind how much safer it feels on the several places where the rainwash has frozen to sheet ice.

Until my chain breaks.

No worries, out with the multitool.... which promptly falls apart. At least the ground in the gateway I was stopped in had frozen solid so the bits didn't all disappear in the mud. Just some of the smaller ones.
    Managed to wrangle enough of it together to use the chain tool. Not easy, mainly due to a) cold hands by now and b) the biggest annoyance - realising that these days I can't focus on this kind of thing without my glasses.
    Take out broken link. Over-push the pin so it falls out and I can't get it back in.
    Take out another link, reassemble. Then realise the next rookie error - chain threaded wrong side of the guard in the rear mech cage. Take out link again.
    Finally back on the road after a repair that took about 15 minutes longer than it should, near hypothermic. Arrive at school 2 minutes before I'm due in class.

How to spoil what had felt like one of the best rides in ages.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,612
    Nice pic Bompington. Now then, is there an element of AC/DC's Bon Scott about the town the other side of the valley? Or am I too far east?
  • bompington

• slowbike
    Quick links - have a spare one in the saddle bag - stuff faffing about with pins!!
  • pinno
    edited November 2019
    slowbike said:

Quick links - have a spare one in the saddle bag - stuff faffing about with pins!!

Yeah - wot he said. You're too long in the tooth to miss that trick Bompy. Must be the hypothermia.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,612

😊

When I still had alive and kicking parents up in Aberdeenshire I would often be driving up the A90 and get stunning views over to the hills with snow on. Nice. Not exactly a highway to hell.
  • pblakeney
    Not trivial - The seabed being ruined mining cobalt for "environmentally friendly" electric cars.
    Trivial - Not being able to find the Irony thread.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    pblakeney said:

Not trivial - The seabed being ruined mining cobalt for "environmentally friendly" electric cars.

Article in the Times this morning about how the Co2 / emissions reductions gained from people switching to electric cars is being outstripped by the increase in sales from SUVs. So overall the emissions from personal verhicles is actually going up.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • pinno
    ...and yet there are quite a few electric and hybrid SUV's.
    Interesting.
  • pinno
    pblakeney said:

https://forum.bikeradar.com/discussion/12977839/the-irony-thread#latest

Should have gone to Specsavers. Actually, it was on p11.
    If you want to find a thread, use a search engine: Bike Radar; The Irony Thread.
    Easier than looking through pages and pages and pages...
  • pblakeney
    pinno said:

pblakeney said:

https://forum.bikeradar.com/discussion/12977839/the-irony-thread#latest

Should have gone to Specsavers. Actually, it was on p11.
    If you want to find a thread, use a search engine: Bike Radar; The Irony Thread.
    Easier than looking through pages and pages and pages...
    Tried both methods. Failed. It annoyed me. 🤣

Veronese68 wrote:
  • Pross
    elbowloh said:

pblakeney said:

Article in the Times this morning about how the Co2 / emissions reductions gained from people switching to electric cars is being outstripped by the increase in sales from SUVs. So overall the emissions from personal verhicles is actually going up.
    Sounds like bollox to me. Other than the really big SUVs the emissions aren't that different to a similar estate or hatchback. As pinno says there are quite a few models that are available as hybrids (the first plug in hybrid I saw available in the UK was a Mitsubishi Outlander) and a fair proportion of the current batch of BEVs are SUVs.
  • bompington
    pross said:

Sounds like bollox to me. Other than the really big SUVs the emissions aren't that different to a similar estate or hatchback. As pinno says there are quite a few models that are available as hybrids (the first plug in hybrid I saw available in the UK was a Mitsubishi Outlander) and a fair proportion of the current batch of BEVs are SUVs.

Well yes, always assume that the figures are dodgy and agenda-driven in that kind of article.
    But there are a couple of things:
    - firstly, in the US (which will affect the global stats disproportionately) "really big SUVs" are the norm: to them a really big SUV is something built on an HGV chassis
    - secondly, the official economy figures might be close but we all know how far from real life that is. I would be interested to see how the real-world figures compare.
  • Pross
    I needed to get some vegetable oil this morning. As it isn't something we generally use I was hoping to be able to get a very small bottle but the first supermarket I tried didn't do anything smaller than 1 litre. I tried a second supermarket but that was the same. All the other fancy oils came in 500ml or smaller bottles but not basic vegetable or sunflower oil so I now have a 1 litre bottle where over half will probably never get used.

Related to that, the reason for buying the oil was to use in some vegan brownies as it's a tradition of my running club that you bake cakes for club members if there's a race around your birthday. Why is it that is costs so much more to bake your own cakes than to just buy them? I spent around £12 on ingredients (not helped by going for dairy free chocolate for the vegans). OK, I'll have some left over stuff to use another time but I could probably have bought the same amount of brownies as I'll make for less than a fiver.