Dave Brailsford prostate cancer

Comments

• Only just seen this and sorry to hear about the unfortunate outbreak of Portishead - best wishes for the op.
  • ridgerider
    ridgerider Posts: 2,851
    orraloon said:

Ah c'mon, we need to know... 😉

Are you bullying me into going against standard medical practice!!!

Ironically, I am on anti-testosterone injections in order to reduce my sex drive...honestly, just ask my 3 wifes and 17 children.

Half man, Half bike
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    Just checked in, passing by.

Good luck and Hope everything works out. BRPR meetup reports need you!
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,311
    Goodluck Ridge!
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    Ridgerider, this will be like your PTP obsessional backing of Jumbo.

Originally it will look like a hopeless folly, but it will then gradually turn into a successful powerhouse ready to take on the world.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • ridgerider
    All quiet on the forum, so I might as well fill it with something!

BORED IN THE WARD...

Had my TURP operation yesterday. All straightforward if anyone else has to have one. For the record, I went with, and would fully recommend, an epidural in the back for anaesthetic so was awake but a bit dozy during the op. You cannot see anything that they are doing on the other side of the screen. I thought I heard them giggling, so I told them I had the legs of Armstrong and the balls of Hinchcape, or maybe I got it the other way round...

No sleep last night, as our 6 man ward contains a disproportionate number of snorers and night time phone users. Found an earplug dispenser in the corridor so will do my best Valverde impression tonight.

Have got a catheter for 2 days. Absolutely brilliant. For the first time in a year I haven't had to look out for public toilets wherever I go. Hopefully it will come out tomorrow morning and I can go home. Off work for 4 weeks to allow internals to repair.

I have always put my faith in the NHS during my lifetime, so after having my appendix out at 18, this is only the second time I have been lucky enough to be on the receiving end of the skill and care of the doctors, nurses and all the ancillary staff. And all at my local hospital!
    Half man, Half bike
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,195
    All praise the NHS. Glad to hear it all went well.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,607
    Best wishes. Good time of year to be off work for a month. Get back riding those ridges come the spring.

Para mi, tests are coming out ok, no major concerns from the medics, bit of prostate enlargement but then I'm getting on in years. Saw my GP (good and involved but not in that way lady doctor) yesterday for a review of all the tests over past few months, been given some of those smooth muscle relaxant tablets to try to see if improves the urination flow and pressure, tbc...

As I have said elsewhere in this forum, I did stand out a bit from the norm in the waiting area in GP practice being dressed in hi viz cycling gear... 😊
  • orraloon said:

As I have said elsewhere in this forum, I did stand out a bit from the norm in the waiting area in GP practice being dressed in hi viz cycling gear... 😊

More power to your elbow. Raised a happy memory, too - I'm inordinately proud of my friend who turned up for chemo sessions on his bike, in full lycra, and then cycled home again afterwards. Just could not get the idea of being 'ill' into his head.
  • Had my camera today and luckily he discovered nothing, so the diagnosis for the time being is acute prostatitis. Keep taking the pills (which seem to be helping with flow and not getting up in the night) and I'll see you in four months. I asked about going back to riding and the advice was 'it's not good for your prostate, but don't stop doing what you enjoy'.

For those terrified of having a camera inserted into the 'Old Chap'..... Unfortunately somehow I picked up a UTI in the last fortnight and so, in theory, it hurt because of that. Saying that, it was just two burning sensations, and no impression that anything was inside me. The iodine clean and insertion of the pain killing gel, was unpleasant and aside from the burning sensations later, probably more uncomfortable than the procedure. The inspection took about 20 to 30 seconds.

I do understand that some guys think that the test for prostate cancer is flawed, but in my experience, (albeit in France) the whole thing was logical and I always felt I was in control of the situation, everyone was respectful and incredibly nice. I was very lucky, everything is normal, other than an 80g prostate.

For me, having a blood test to establish your PSA level is a no brainer. You always have the choice of what to do next. Not having the test leaves you in the dark, hoping that you don't have anything bad.

If anyone wants some moral support, over any of the procedures I've been through, please feel free to PM me.

Good luck to everyone still suffering.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,218
    Oh mate, ridge! Just seen this! Terrible news! Hope you're alright and hanging in there.

I guess you're out of the xmas drinks so we can't say get well soon in person?

If so I'll make sure we all have a proper drink in your honour.

If you want a bunch of youtube videos of races I *really recommend* to ease the boredom, you know who to ask.
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    Ridge and Mercury, good luck. mine was also a form of "acute" prostatitis, but luckily relatively mild. am 2 days away from the end of the course of meds and note that ciproflaxin really does knock your (in my case already limited) top end for 6. not that I've been going remotely full gas whilst on the bike.

oh and for some of the great races (TDF's, Roubaix, LBL, Flanders and some semi classics), youtube channel "classic cycling" has some great ones.

I hope recovery goes well chaps.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    Just watch Stannard v QuickStep on loop...comedy for the ages!
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    ddraver said:

Just watch Stannard v QuickStep on loop...comedy for the ages!

was there for that in a Belgian bar at the top of one of the non categorised climbs. its amazing to see how full the bar gets then everyone goes away equally quickly! the locals were all amazed at Stannard for his win.
  • philbar72 said:

Ridge and Mercury, good luck. mine was also a form of "acute" prostatitis, but luckily relatively mild. am 2 days away from the end of the course of meds and note that ciproflaxin really does knock your (in my case already limited) top end for 6. not that I've been going remotely full gas whilst on the bike.

oh and for some of the great races (TDF's, Roubaix, LBL, Flanders and some semi classics), youtube channel "classic cycling" has some great ones.

I hope recovery goes well chaps.

Thanks very much, very kind of you.

I'm hoping my pills (permixon) are going to do the trick, they're a natural product apparently, with pretty good results in tests.

Has the ciproflaxin done the trick?

I've got the second of my challenges for this week in the morning..... having a tooth extracted, which scares me more than the camera (yeah big wuss). Then a few days of recovering and then I'll be back on the bike.

Great thread this, good to know there's such nice people out there.

Thanks again

• ridgerider
    edited November 2019
    Yes, thanks to all the good wishes as well.

Hope I haven't come across too flippant about all this. I think in all the self attention you give yourself, you can miss the affect the diagnosis has had on the people around you, so I am using my time off work to try and repay them back.

And almost lost within all my TURP action last week was the news from the Oncologist that the cancer has not spread beyond my prostate, so the hormone treatment continues with a view to radiotherapy around March, with hormone treatment continuing for a further two years. And that should be it with any luck!
    Half man, Half bike
  • Tashman
    Tashman Posts: 3,398

Yes, thanks to all the good wishes as well. Hope I haven't come across too flippant about all this. I think in all the self attention you give yourself, you can miss the affect the diagnosis has had on the people around you, so I am using my time off work to try and repay them back.
    And almost lost within all my TURP action last week was the news from the Oncologist that the cancer has not spread beyond my prostate, so the hormone treatment continues with a view radiotherapy around March, with hormone treatment continuing for a further two years. And that should be it with any luck!

Good news from the oncologist RR. Only just caught up on this thread. Good to know you've got a light at the end of the tunnel.
    Mercury, glad it's going well for you too!
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,224

And almost lost within all my TURP action last week was the news from the Oncologist that the cancer has not spread beyond my prostate, so the hormone treatment continues with a view to radiotherapy around March, with hormone treatment continuing for a further two years. And that should be it with any luck!

Superb news! I’m sure your oncologist is excellent, but might it be prudent to push for further verification on the cancer not spreading?

• ocdupalais
    Tashman said:

Good news from the oncologist RR. Only just caught up on this thread. Good to know you've got a light at the end of the tunnel.

Technically, he’s got a cancerous tumour at the end of his tunnel.

• No_Ta_Doctor

Tashman said:

There was also a light halfway up his tunnel at one point.
  • orraloon

Tashman said:

There was also a light halfway up his tunnel at one point.
    😊
  • ridgerider
    Say what you want, but I am peeing like a teenager again. :o

It's wonderful!
    Half man, Half bike
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    edited November 2019

It's wonderful!

• orraloon
    Monday night I was in the RAH for the Aussie Floyd, spectacularly good concert. But with shall I say older Pink Floyd aficionados in the majority of the attendees, at the interval well hello, not a long queue for the Ladies but a mega queue for the Gents. Unusual. And while passing, not queueing me, overheard commentary 'I got no bladder left'.

Age eh?
  • ocdupalais

It's wonderful!

Always better to have a forum man dem piss than a forum man dem miss, as Gove might say.
  • Yes, thanks to all the good wishes as well. Hope I haven't come across too flippant about all this. I think in all the self attention you give yourself, you can miss the affect the diagnosis has had on the people around you, so I am using my time off work to try and repay them back.
    And almost lost within all my TURP action last week was the news from the Oncologist that the cancer has not spread beyond my prostate, so the hormone treatment continues with a view radiotherapy around March, with hormone treatment continuing for a further two years. And that should be it with any luck!

That's brilliant news RR and yes it's important to recognise the help and support of loved ones. My other half has been superb, especially putting up with my stress head!
    Tashman said:

Mercury, glad it's going well for you too!

Thanks very much.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    edited November 2019
    Quick post for anyone with exams coming up...

• johngti
    johngti Posts: 2,508
    Can I just ask how you knew you had a developing problem? I’ve had a PSA test recently that didn’t show anything abnormal but...
  • ridgerider
    edited November 2019
    For me, it was poor flow when I peed, and going too often. My urethra was constricted by my enlarged prostate, and in my case, my prostate was enlarged due to the cancer. And a PSA level of 16+ triggered the all my investigations. But you can get an enlarged prostate for other reasons, and you can also have prostate cancer without it restricting your flow. But from what I have learnt, a PSA test is a reliable indicator.
    Half man, Half bike
  • johngti
    johngti Posts: 2,508
    Thanks ridge. Glad you’re doing well